Cheap SS amp with twin reverb sounding overdrive?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Zesty-feline, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Wow, glad to hear it! I also like plugging in directly with no pedals. Amps and guitars have such great tones by themselves, especially when you get some volume going. Why cover up those sounds with pedals and effects that add layers of other colors to the guitar and amp.

A good sounding analog SS amp from the '80s or '90s will do the trick.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Zesty-feline likes this.
  2. paulhealey

paulhealey TDPRI Member

The short answer is I don't think there is a cheap SS amp that sounds like a twin. The Frontman mentioned earlier is probably the closest you're going to get unless you get something like a Mustang.

A couple of companies - Sarno Music Solutions, FYD, Alembic all make preamps voiced after the Twin that you run with a power amp. I have the one from Sarno Music, the "classic tube preamp" and really like it. I run it with a Mosvalve something or other power amp.

Zesty-feline and Drew617 like this.
  3. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

THAT sounds more likely, though sorry to second guess you. Yeah: The DR can still get damn loud with the right speaker, but breakup comes earlier and is tolerable indoors, IMO. The AB763 amps have pretty similar preamp voicing but at different voltages: You’ll get earlier breakup out of a Deluxe with its lower preamp voltages, and rectifier sag to boot versus a Twin.

So that tone is probably a little less specific and maybe easier to approximate. Agree with the Mustang suggestions for your requirements, in that case. Those are digital but should approximate the nuances of a cranked BF/SF amp better than my original suggestion would.

I wish somebody made something like @robrob ’s Blackvibe Micro available commercially, because my EF80 version is probably my favorite amp, period. Not SS but it’s a pretty faithful AB763 (Vibrolux voltages in this case) preamp into a 2W, IIRC, push-pull power section. Does real pentode power tube breakup in the bedroom and sounds absolutely correct to the Fender amps. 2W is even enough to get some overtones happening off the right speaker: Cheap, seamed cone Jensen-style is the right move here, like a Weber Sig or WGS Vet10.

robrob and Zesty-feline like this.
  4. Zesty-feline

Zesty-feline TDPRI Member

Timestamp 7:10 that's it! that's THAT sound I heard!! damnn!!!

I was thinking one of the 90's champ 110's but to get closer mustang may be the best bet..

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had a Mustang II v2 and it did a good Twin, but like others, I can’t imagine cranking a twin loud enough to get the type of overdrive you are describing. A Deluxe will do that all day but a Twin stays pretty clean. Joyo American Sound might get you there. Yes, it’s in a pedal format, but it’s really a preamp in a box. I use mine straight into the power section of my amp and nails a pretty darn good Fender driven tone. FWIW, I have a sansamp and like it for more Marshallesque tones, but prefer the Joyo for Fenderish tones.

I had the wonderful opportunity with no one home last night to crank it through the power amp of my 18-watt tube amp and it is glorious. I have a lot of digital and analog SS toys to get great tones at lower volumes, and I use them, but nothing compares to a good tone from a loud amp! Yes - 18-watts - I can’t imagine diming an SF Twin in my music room!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    PhredE and Zesty-feline like this.
  6. Zesty-feline

Zesty-feline TDPRI Member

Not using pedals for me is an ideal, but unless I can afford a small cabinet 1x8 custom amp with a deluxe tonestack a pedal would do the job till I had the dough.. I am not hauling around a full size amp.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you have to, like I said, don’t think of it as a pedal. Stick it on to if the amp like I do into the effects return or power amp input ;). I wouldn’t care if it had the foot switch - never turn it off!

PhredE likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal and pipe that into whatever solid state amp you have set to clean (just to give you volume).
    The Joyo gives all the tones.

PhredE and mkdaws32 like this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Get yourself to the music store to plug your guitar into a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. It probably has that midrange you're looking for and can produce more of it, even at a lower volume, than an SFDR.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  10. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, that [SFDR’s] ticking tremolo can be turned off, as a temporary workaround. I have that on my late ‘60s drip edge silverface [recapped and serviced a few years ago] and want to get it fixed if possible, but no rush - I have other amps I can use for now.

11. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

+1

Joyo = 'Harley Benton' in AUS and EU mostly.
    Still available (via Amazon) here for $40USD.
    (The AC Tone takes more patience to dial-in, but also has some very usable tones as well).

Zesty-feline likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.