1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cheap SIMPLE metronome alternative?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TheOutlaw, Feb 16, 2021.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I never was into the looper thing, but I recently came around to it being a pretty nice tool for practicing and exploring. My delay pedal has a simple looper built into it with one memory slot. I tried it one day, and I'm hooked now. That of course meant buying a real looper with plenty of memory slots and recording time so that I don't lose stuff as with the single memory slot. I recently bought a used Boss RC-3. I won't use the builtin rhythms in it, but it sounds like what you're looking for. There is also the newer RC-5, but more $. Anyway, it's just a single pedal press to record, a single press to exit recording and enter looped playback, and a double press to stop playback. Memory slots are accessed with a couple of dedicated buttons. It has some builtin rhythms with a tempo function for slowing down rhythms and recorded or externally loaded loops. A looper doesn't fit the super inexpensive point though.

I know times are weird with the virus, but one of the best things you can do for your playing is to play with other people. And at this point that would be especially true if you can find some experienced people who would let you take rhythm duties. It forces you to learn complete songs, and it's motivating to play in a band. I have seen a number of people learn to play that way.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Second thought, you shouldn't need the assistance of any tech to play some rhythm. Time to turn on some music and play along and try to keep up. And lots of it.

4. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

BOSS TU-80 Tuner/Metronome.
    Super cheap.
    Portable.
    Plug in to tune/intonate electric.
    It also has a built in MIC for any kind of acoustic instrument--even your voice.
    Oh, and it does the metronome thing too of course...

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

You shouldn’t be getting out of time with the metronome. If you are, you need to practice more, maybe your movements themselves are wrong, and that’s what’s getting you out of sync. A backing track isn’t going to help you with what happens inside the bar.

Metronomes are for sharpening your accuracy at the micro level. Backing tracks are for perfecting the feel of your timing, or improvising, not the accuracy of your actual picking and strumming.

If you want a “beat” take a metronome and set it to half the desired tempo. If the phrase or lick or whatever is at 120, set it to 60 and pretend that the clicks are the snare drum on 2 and 4. If your timing is adequate, that’s really all you should need to work on phrasing or specific passages. You can do both micro and macro with the metronome but you can’t really work on the accuracy of picking or strumming with a backing track.

If you want to work on ‘performing’ “Enter Sandman” then just play along to “Enter Sandman,” there’s no need for a drum loop or a backing track. You can even slow it down on YouTube. Besides, most loops or backing tracks are machines. Playing along to a record drops you right into something that people are making.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:33 AM
    MrCoolGuy likes this.
  6. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There's an app for that...

7. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

I mostly use the Fender Guitar Tuner app. I have the upgraded version. Both metronome and drum beats. I have physical metronomes but never use them anymore...app is better.

8. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

BOSS RC3 has a bunch of basic drum beats and a click / metronome.. perfect for this practice and it will quantise your loops to play in time for you.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Just type "metronome online" into google and a free simple metronome appears

https://www.google.com/search?q=metronome

Dead simple, free, available any time

Metronomes are tough. Unforgiving. They show up all your weaknesses. They're very valuable practice aids: they help get you past the tendency to slow down on the hard part. They can also help with developing "feel:" you can practice either pushing or pulling on the beat.

Metronomes that offer a varied pulse or accents can get annoyingly complicated very quickly, I agree

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:25 AM
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I imagine the first metronome was a constant water drip in your cave....

it might have been the first drummer who used it to bang a bone on a rock in time with the drip....:D

12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Human interaction? No, he said drummer.

I went for a strap, and ended up with a ‘65 Danelectro Convertible!

aging_rocker and TigerG like this.
  13. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

my job keeps me super busy so I've been slowly picking through responses and checking into the various recommendations every time i get a few minutes to spare. I think im a little more overwhelmed than when I started lol. but I did manage to come up with somewhat of a plan to get started and work through the options on my days off.

first thing i want to try is going the ipad route since i think i already have everything needed and then some already. ill be starting a separate thread specific to that when I get a chance

next option is the looper setup. ive been looking at the boss rc-5 and im kind of impressed with that

there are a few others I want to try but those seem like the most likely 2 solutions for me and both seem super portable since I have a guitar and amp in most rooms and randomly end up wherever portability is a huge plus. it seems i could also use either with my little battery powered Yamaha thr5 that I never seemed to get any use out of. my gear collection is kind of out of control for someone who can't play....

14. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

speaking of which HNGD to me lol picked up a used g&l tribute series tele this morning after work lol

15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

upload_2021-2-25_15-26-16.png

16. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

I'm lost? lol

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

The deathwatch beetle (Xestobium rufovillosum) is a species of woodboring beetle that sometimes infests the structural timbers of old buildings. To attract mates, the adult insects create a tapping or ticking sound that can sometimes be heard in the rafters of old buildings on summer nights.

Organic metronome, basically.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.