1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cheap SIMPLE metronome alternative?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TheOutlaw, Feb 16, 2021.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

9DD9A4F6-1C9C-4013-B729-B8B5478A7B7C.png D8019C32-5DA8-4AC2-A5AD-825E9D18B5F5.jpeg
    I’ve downloaded several metronome apps over the last few years. When I get too much music on iTunes and memory starts to be a little scarce they’ve usually been the first app to go lol. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong....but I digress.

I currently have this one, works fine and I figured it out, so it’s obviously pretty idiot resistant.

Attached Files:

Matthias likes this.
  2. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

No personal experience with this, but this app claims to be a drum machine and a looper...and it is only $3.99.

4. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

upload_2021-2-17_7-59-2.png

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You’re getting a lot of smart alecks in this thread.

Seems like a Boss RC-3 would be a good solution for you. It has drum tracks in it, so you could loop a 12 bar blues with drums and then play leads over that, all through your guitar amp. I had one, and while this isn’t what I used it for, I found it to be pretty user friendly. Available used for around $120. Not hamburger cheap, but not caviar expensive either.

TheOutlaw and ale.istotle like this.
  6. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Garage Band on the iPad is free and has a metronome as well as all kinds of rhythm tracks. If it’s not already installed you can download it from the Apple App Store.

The Guitar Tabs app is only a few bucks, has a built in tuner and metronome, and gives access to sheet music as well as tabs.

You can play or loop certain song sections as well, and slow them down to learn them.

northernguitar and ale.istotle like this.
  7. Len058

Len058 TDPRI Member

Nux loop core pedal. It's like the boss rc-3 but cheaper. It has metronome and drum loops

8. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

loopfinding likes this.
  9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I’ve got the Pro Metronome app on my iPhone

10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I used to use this for cadence practice when running. It’s a decent app.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, I could have started this exact thread just a few years ago. It took me a long time to find the right metronome, but I finally did. Not cheap, but how much is good timing worth to you? Some of my band mates bought this after I brought it to practice one day:
    IMG_4867.PNG

12. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Apple app store
    Humanome
    Or
    Time Guru (complex but incredible)

13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

They make apps for that. I have one on my iPod that I have used for years. Its called Pro-Metronome designed by EUM. It's great and features every option you could want in a metronome.

14. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Mooer makes a drum machine mini pedal. It’s pretty good as long as you are ok with tapping in the tempo. I like mine, but use my Korg metronome much more.

15. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I use various apps. Pro Metronome, Time Guru. The biggest aid to my practice is ireal pro.

16. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

If what you want is a metronome that you can simply set to a groove you are already playing there are phone apps like Beat Detective that will tell you what tempo you are playing at so you ban set whatever metronome you have handy.

17. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

funny how sometimes the simple solution is the last to come to mind

this is the sort of problem I have.. i watched a guy named Barnaby ont the MLP forums build a guitar using only hand tools and decided to try the same.... i ended up having a 2 story 24 x24ft building put up and filled it with half a woodworking catalog worth of heavy duty power tools and still haven't built a guitar...

I'll look into it never heard of it.

seems simple enough

[/QUOTE]

i use android phone, iPad, windows 10 laptop

ill have to check into that not sure why but I always overlooked it when thinking about loopers and drooled over the digital jammans

i have the pro version of the guitar tabs app but have only used the tabs part.

i like cheap especially since i have guitars and amps scattered through the house and woodshop, cheaper means possibly getting multiple so i don't have to go get it every time the mood strikes

as crazy as it sounds I actually spent a couple of hours trying to count with the metronome the day before yesterday and I was surprised with how I was able to do it without even thinking about it after a while but then yesterday I was feeling confident and tried to actually play a few things while using the metronome and I got so far out of whack thought I was actually worse which I didn't even think was possible. I'm sure most of that had to do with not having the metronome set right but I tried to do the intro to Enter Sandman, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Seek and Destroy, Sweet Child of Mine, and a basic 12-bar Blues Rhythm. The only one that didn't go completely to crap was the 12 Bar Blues Rhythm.

if I built some confidence with a cheaper metronome and it actually made a big Improvement I would have no problem dropping big money

now that right there might be exactly what I need because like I said having no idea how to set a metronome and probably most of the reason that I'm having no luck with them.

I wish there was a simple way that I could just plug into my laptop and use a single program for everything from Metronome and backing track to recording to look back on but I tried that a few years back with my desktop and spent weeks messing with different programs and the interface I bought and never ended up getting it to actually work right, main issue was tons of lag which really messes with me almost like a delay . I've never been able to use a delay effect without it messing me up . too many settings to play with and try to learn was another issue I had with going that route. I'm pretty sure that is a dead end for me because I use a computer a lot us now so my laptop is way lower quality than my old desktop was and I'm not even sure what I did with that Scarlett interface. I haven't seen it since I moved a few years ago

Mexitele Blues and Obsessed like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

i use android phone, iPad, windows 10 laptop

if I built some confidence with a cheaper metronome and it actually made a big Improvement I would have no problem dropping big money

[/QUOTE]
    I was just trying to save you money, time and frustration in the long term. I learned the hard way.:oops:

19. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QCV9LTG/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.