1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cheap SIMPLE metronome alternative?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TheOutlaw, Feb 16, 2021.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

I have no rhythm and can't keep time to save my life. i need something super simple that doesn't have alot of settings to mess with or need half a studio worth of equipment to work.

basically I'm looking to be able to turn it on and have drums or bass or something within a few seconds. I have iPad and laptop but never got into playing with headphones. tons of amps if it needs plugged into its own.

needs to be very affordable. ive already spent so much on gear thats its embarrassing to admit considering my skill level. I suck so bad I would have quit years ago if I wasn't so obsessed with guitars. i think I get more enjoyment out of working on guitars and messing with amps than I actually have in trying to play in a few years

being able to be loaded into an affordable looper would be a bonus

my only playing goal at the moment is to eventually be able to play a very basic 12 bar blues rhythm into a looper then try playing over that. no desire at all to ever play in front of others or with others just something to enjoy on my own. not shy just extremely anti social lol

once again....
    cheap
    super simple
    super basic

Alex_C, northernguitar and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

My drummer is simple and makes a great metronome.

3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

4. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Holic

cheap-
    count.
    tap your foot.
    buy a metronome.
    play to a recording etc.

gimmeatele, JL_LI and northernguitar like this.
  5. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Metronomes are inexpensive. Can you clarify why you're looking for an alternative? What's your actual price limit?

SRHmusic likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I still have a much older one, but not much has changed. I never used it , at GC, MF, Sweetwater:

Screenshot_20210216-205646_Chrome.jpg

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Meister

The Fender Play app has a metronome. And it goes very low speed, slower than most. So free is cheap.

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Meister

So is RDM app. But I bought the upgrade so I can write loops.

9. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Holic

if you can count...1-2-3-4 and 1-2-3-4=you can keep time. just keep it steady.=soon becomes natural....it has to be so.=consistent.
    learn/apply the basics...nothing complex etc=trying to play advanced rhythm etc will not help,.....only hinder any progress., cause more errors.
    learn to walk before you run....

10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use 7Metronome on Android. It's free with little banner ads. Lets you set the time signature, sound and beat accents. It's as good as the old Seiko quartz one I have, but in my phone, so more convenient.

11. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

that would require human interaction and schedule coordination

thought of that but that would mean I'd have to get used to headphones for most occasions. its seeming like that is an annoyance im going to have to get over sooner or later though.

ive tried using one a few times in app form but could never figure how to set it correctly for whatever i was trying to do at the time and by the the I was happy with it I was ready to do something else. in all honesty I'm sure I could make it work if I had no other choice. as for budget I don't have a set price in mind I would just rather spend a little on simple than alot on something with a bunch of features i don't need that would just distract me.

up to this point every time i end up thinking about this I end up wondering if there would be an easy way to just get a good looper with memory slot that i could just load a few basic rhythms into that would seamlessly play over and over ive never used a looper though so i have no idea how complicated that would be. my stomp boxes consist of 90% overdrive/ distortion with just a few basic staples like hall of fame reverb, small clone chorus, and a cheap delay i never use. most of the time I'm just plugged straight into the amp though

12. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Your own pulse keeps a rhythm and can be varied with coffee.

13. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Can you use your iPad through a speaker?

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There are free metronome apps for iPhone and android. Download one and use it but don’t come to rely on it. What you really need to do is learn to count and keep time. Check how well you’re doing by recording yourself and checking that you finish a piece at the same tempo you started it.

Next, find a song you want to play at a different tempo from the original. Willie Nelson’s cover of If You’ve Ever Seen the Rain is much slower than the CCR original. Can you play it without rushing? Use pauses between verses to reset your clock. There’s nothing special about this. It’s just something to be mastered. I learned to keep time in high school orchestra. Mr. Matthews had two excoriating comments about time. “Keep up. If you can’t keep up you haven’t learned the music. You haven’t been practicing.” The other was, “Don’t rush. Watch the baton. If you can’t watch the baton you don’t know the music. You haven’t been practicing.” Three years of that and you keep time like a chronograph.

JuneauMike, YYZman and teletail like this.
  15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

No need to resort to headphones. Use an aux cord or a $10 Bluetooth receiver to plug into your stereo.

16. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Dance lessons.

17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

There are some great, easy-to-use metronome apps for iPhone and Android cell phones. If I can figure them out anyone can. The one I have ("Pro Metronome" for iPhone), you can set it to a steady beat, or set it to different time signatures and set accents on different beats/parts of the beat. Really helpful when you're trying to lock in the pulse of a song. It's very intuitive...even for an old Gen-Xer like me.

18. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Be careful when shopping for a metronome. Once when I did that, I ended up buying a Gibson J200.

19. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

BeatBuddy Mini?

20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.