1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cheap side dots

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CraigB, Jun 22, 2010.

1. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if anyone has tried this, I couldn't pull up a similar search result. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.

My kids like building plastic models in the summer between biking swimming video games and...summer school. I told them the parts trees could go in the recycling, then I thought wait,,,don't.

They aren't cylindrical though - so just chuck a piece in the drill and run through a slightly smaller hole drilled in a piece of metal. Installed in a scrap, glued in with CA, sanded flat and sprayed with lacquer to see how the plastic reacts. Looks like the lacquer will not eat this type of plastic. Not bad.

Attached Files:

2. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

I was looking all over last week for something locally I could get really cheap for side dots with no luck.

This is one of the things that crossed my mind that could be used pretty easily. I thought about all those pieces I threw a way as a kid...nice save there.

The first place I looked was my daughter's pick up sticks game...no black ones in there...surely she wouldn't have missed just one right? I had to order about 23" of 2mm for just over $3 shipped, it's not like it broke the bank but it wasn't free

3. SPetrie

SPetrie Tele-Meister

I looked at a broken umbrella in my garage last night, and thought to myself, those metal rods would make great side dots....... I think I need to get out more!

4. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I just use a 3/32" forstner drill bit and fill it with minwax wood putty.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17356 - I've used the ebony, walnut and white and they look great. Once you sand it completely flat it looks great. Can't get any cheaper than that if you want a bunch of side markers.

5. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Tele-Holic

Hobby stores sell white and black 1/16" plastic rods for CHEAP.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Brass rod used to work in the 70's. Bone works too.

7. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Sure, the first time it's just one. Then you're sneaking back in for another until it's a full blown habit and little miss doen't have a game anymore. :D

Seriously, she probably would miss it. If I remember correctly, the single black stick is used in game play as a helper. Where's the emoticon for "sticking out like a sore thumb" :p

Peace,
    Mark

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I'm all for saving money but 6" of plastic side dot material (black or white, 1/16" or 3/32") is $1.15 at StewMac, which means it can probably also be found at a local hobby shop for a dollar.

Sheesh!

9. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Good point, but I guess this depends on where you live. And, it's not always about saving money. I think maybe the bigger picture here is that some folks, myself included, get a kick out finding value in things that would otherwise be thrown out. It's interesting to see things for more than their original intended use...opens up the mind to new possibilities.

My 2 cents...

Peace,
    Mark

10. joe desperado

joe desperado Tele-Meister

I have searched all over for good material for this. In the end...I buy the stewmac stuff. One piece will do like a Cazillion-gillion guitars. Well, about 4 or 5 anyway...

I buy about 4 or 5 pieces at a time and they last for many many necks.

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think grizzly sells the rod for pretty cheap too.

12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

And that's cool too!

Best,

Kevin.

13. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

I'm not embarassed to say that I've always liked making use of things that would otherwise hit the trash.

Oh, well, maybe it was just a dumb idea to post it here (sorry) but I thought the most interesting part (and the reason I went to the trouble in the first place) was to share the fact that the lacquer didn't react badly with the plastic. I figured it would eat into it and distort the surface.

All we have here is a Michaels, which is where we bought those models for the kids. So I got something here that will work, I don't have to drive anywhere to get it, and I don't have to pay shipping charges.

14. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Not a dumb idea at all , I am always looking for stuff like this . ;)

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have used ebony dust and super glue for black dots.

16. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I used a guitar pick for the plastic material and a leather circle punch from the local hardware store to make my side markers. It was a great solution for the tortoise shell inlays I wanted. I wish I could say I thought of it!

17. gooberman

gooberman Tele-Meister

I just tried something I found on another forum last night...I tried it on some scrap and it seemed to work good. Drill the holes as you normally would, fill them with a little baking soda and drop on some CA. It will apparently give it a pearl type of affect, plus keep your board smelling fresh!!!

18. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Did pretty much the same thing as gooberman on a fingerboard when I lost one of the dots, but used chalk instead of baking soda. Seems to have worked fine so far...

19. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I wanted stainless steel, so I grabbed a bunch of crochet hooks my wife was throwing out. The Dremel cut off some slices, then I installed them with CA. For the record, 1.3 crochet hooks comfortably handles a 22-fret neck.

20. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

Makes me wish I would have kept the extra red plastic from that '57 Chevy model I did in the late 70's/early 80's (I don't mean making the model spanned two decades, I just can't remember exactly when it was !)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.