1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap replacement for Fender Fidelitrons

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by xjazzy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I have a Saquier Cabronita with two Fidelitrons.
    I've been trying to sell the guitar as I don't get along with the pickups but nobody wants it.
    I'm missing some P-90's in my arsenal.
    Is there a cheap replacement for the Fidelitrons that can give me a more P-90 vibe?

2. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

Did you try putting it on ebay? In the EU they normally score pretty high as there are only a few available....

The only direct replacement that fit without routing that I know are the TVJones T90... not exactly cheap :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Try this:
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/P90s-Soapbars-Mini-Humbuckers_c_593.html

4. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Never used Ebay to sell.
    Yes, TV Jones are very expensive pickups and I wish there was more options for that pickup size with other brands...

5. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! Sell it, someone will love it.

6. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I'm trying but no one wants it!
    It's a great guitar but I couldn't bound with the pickups so I'm trying to sell but I think it's too good for give it for free...

7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Give it time. In any case, there is no good solution for replacement pickups for it.

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Put caps across it in order to lower the resonant peak.

Do this: buy a box of assorted caps that go at least as low as 110pF. Get two wires with alligator clips on either end. Expose the lead to your guitar jack that is plugged into the guitar, and attach the alligator clips to the hot and ground parts of the jack. Try putting different value caps between the alligator clips (across the jack, in parallel with the guitar), and eventually you migth find a value that makes the Filter'trons sound thick and darker like a P-90. One you know the value, you can solder the cap directly into the guitar.

Or spend $100+ on TV Jones' numerous "hot" Filter'tron offerings. They come with bragging rights, too.

teleaddicted likes this.
  9. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Smart idea, Antigua Tele!

10. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

My problem with the pickups it's not the brightness it's the dullness!
    The cleans always sound like I have the guitar plugged directly into the mixing board, no matter what amp I use!
    I've used the guitar for more than one year as my main guitar for my band but I eventually got tired of that sound.

11. ct_anthony

ct_anthony Tele-Meister

filtertrons are the exact opposite of "dullness". I guess something is wrong with your wiring... did you add any caps to the electronics?

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

13. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Regardless of the adjectives, I still think caps might solve your problem. A Fitler'tron has such a high peak frequency that it takes a relatively large amount of capacitance in order to make it dull. If you wanted to curve match a P-90 with a Filter'tron, caps would be required. There are very few other pickups on the market that are better suited to have their curve manipulated than a Filter'tron. Some believe they were made to be very bright and clear specifically to be "filtered" in this manner.

14. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Another vote for GFS. In addition to good pickups, they also offer good international service.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had the same guitar. If you are saying things are dull, you might try moving to a 500k or even 1meg volume pot. I used 500k and its nice and bright for my ears, which is what I like. But this is in conflict with your desire for P90s. Filters will never sound like P90s, apart from what Antigua Tele said, which gets you a lower resonant peak, you'll still be dealing with the compression that comes with humbuckers, and IME the Fidelitrons were very 'squishy'.

From what you describe, (mixing board), I almost want to say that's just the sound of Filters, but since these are just relative words with different base meanings, I really can't say if you just need to move the guitar along. You won't find cheap Filter-sized replacements unless you 'roll your own' or start hacking things up (those GFS Minis won't fit without moving some wood and getting a pickguard). Maybe lower the price or re-gift for a holiday? Good luck :)

bender66 likes this.
  16. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've heard that the shipping costs for GFS pickups to Europe make them rather expensive...

17. Tony Done

I can't recall how much it is to Oz, but it seemed OK to me, typical international rates - and good packaging.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I own the Squier Cab as well. Mine came with a 250k pot. As soon as I swapped it for a 500k pot it was a different guitar. They sound great, imo.

Check your pot value. It's that easy.

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

If they sound dull. Adjust them, if that doesn't work, 1Meg pots.

bender66 likes this.
  20. Tony Done

Cover removal is another option for increasing brightness, if they are chromed brass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.