1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cheap pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jdolecek48, Aug 17, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

There are a few pedals that i'm wanting. Distortion+ 5150,superbass,big muff.I know there are a few brands out there biyang,caline,joyo. Are those cheaper clones any good? do they compare or should i just save up for the real thing?

stormsedge likes this.
  2. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

68 Pedals "King Of Clone" is a seriously awesome pedal. $115 on ebay. I believe it's now called the "All Seeing Eye". It has low and high gain switch options for both sides, not just one.

3. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've got a biyang reverb pedal that I use that has as good a sounding reverb that I've heard from a pedal. I think I paid $35 for it, brand new. Since I don't gig anymore, I'm not sure how it would hold up if you were using it a lot.

studio1087 likes this.
  4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The 3-4 cheap pedals I’ve gotten have shorted out, went all wonky on me, or just plain failed. And I’m just a bedroom player. False economy in my book.

emisilly likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you're STILL in the wrong subforum for this post :p
    edited for spllelign

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I love cheap pedals. But I am also not recording or gigging other than Sundays at church.

My faves:

Joyo American Sound -first edition - it is my Fender preamp and I can "almost" dial in a Fender Deluxe sound.
    Joyo Ultimate Drive - I actually use this on my bass, it has a nice low end presence and gives me a touch of dirt when I need it.
    Joyo Comp - the green one - I use it also on bass as a nice subtle compressor to even out my picking
    I recently picked up a few others that I am still trying out.

The Donner Yellow Fall Delay seems like a keeper, no tap tempo but it does allow a little echo. If you needed dotted eights it might not be for you but it works for me.
    Mugig Green Tube - it is supposed to be tube screamer, I haven't had a lot of playing time so no recommendation yet.
    And I picked up two Saeple pedals, a chorus and a tremolo that seem pretty good.

stormsedge and Rocky058 like this.
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

That distortion plus is so so simply made if there's any "drive" ha! In you at all to build/diy, I say go for it. You could build it on perfboard but if you're reticent about your skills there's kits with all the parts and board made up, anywhere from every part 2 sourcing your own stuff. The buffers are ridiculous low parts count for things that I've seen going for $300. You can have a friend or loved one to artwork or do it yourself or whatever and have a totally personalized great pedal. As far as the cheapies one thing I might add is that depending on how hard you are on them there's some that just have potentiometers and input and output jacks plastic which in and of itself is not awful but some just are designed to come out flush and don't have nuts holding them on. That I would say is the bottom of the barrel in terms of longevity or especially if you Glenn on banging them around. Also I give them a good look and if they do have those little mini pots that pop out I would picture how you're going to use it and if they're going to get stepped on because they won't last too long but if you're gentle with them and check them from time to time to see if nuts come loose or anyting, I don't see how you can go wrong with some of those. I have a Nux

8. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Man I was replying to your thread and I don't know what I pushed but I don't know where it went... It's not here and it wasn't complete either haha... Anyways I was saying that some of those cheap designs have potentiometers and input and output Jacks that don't even have nuts on them and I would put those at the bottom of the barrel although not unusable at all it just depends on if you're going to be tough on them, and of course accepting the accident that may happen as I have tripped and taken out a pot or two on a very well-made pedal, (or two) ha! I have a nux loop core that probably going on 2 years and I've stepped the hell out of it and fed it varying DC, I picked up a $20 Auto wah from a pawn shop and I don't even know what company I think it just says t cube series, it's one of those little ones and it works great along with my vintage mxr envelope filter. I don't necessarily like it alone but I actually like MXR better with both of them stacked. It has two small pots without nuts at the top besides a mini toggle with a long bat but they are sort of protected by a knob underneath them that my foot will touch before them. Something like that I might add a larger knob to it to protect the other small guys, just making sure that the bottom of the knob comes down pretty flush with the body so there's not a lot of play for it's shaft to break. As far as the circuits a lot of times they're just straight rip offs of great-sounding circuits. Oh I was going to say in my first post that things like the distortion plus are so ultra-simple to build yourself and there's kits even. and you could have family or friends or loved ones or whatever do artwork or even yourself ha! Seriously some of these pedals are $300 for $15 of materials and a name

9. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

Just wanted to give all you guys an update, but first thank you to each of you for all your input and your help. really appreciate it. ....now on to my decision and the winner went to MXR EVH 5150....just sucked it up and refuse to cute any corners, by the way i'm also buying the mxr superbadass

emisilly likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Cant go wrong with those two. Although you're going to find a lot of common sonic territory overlap with them

11. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I had a Tom Sline Firecream, it was a nice Big Muff mini for something like 30 bux. Seemed pretty solid too but i gave it away.

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned pedals from many of the Chinese brands, Caline, Joyo, Rowin, Mosky, Tomsline, Kokko, Eno, and others, and I've never had problems from any of them. In my opinion though, Caline are the best of the bunch, followed by Joyo, Rowin, and Tomsline.
    Some are just rebranded, such as Ammoon, which are just rebranded Rowins.

Rocky058 and stormsedge like this.
  13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Good luck here with Mosky and Caline. BBOX is a very accurate clone of the Xotic BB preamp. Sounds amazing for $30 shipped...

14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Ya gotta put Donner up there. Yellow Fall Delay, Boost Killer, Morpher, all excellent. I just got their new OCD take, Fush, on Thursday. Put it right next to my OCD and alternated back and forth. It’s very close, perhaps a bit brighter (and I was running my OCD with 18v). It’s much closer to the ocd than is the Joyo Ultimate Drive, a pedal that I also love.
    [​IMG]

stormsedge and richiek65 like this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, there ARE some worthy, "off brand" pedal makers out there. Here are a few, ranked in order of quality and consistency:

Donner
    Biyang
    DeltaLab
    Caline
    Joyo

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Also, for inexpensive, multi-effects pedals, Valeton offers worthy, "small footprint" models.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have also had good experiences with Donner, Caline and Joyo pedals, as well as Danelectro and NUX...all picked from the "cheap seats".

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.