Cheap Pedal Power Solutions?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by smoothrecluse, Feb 17, 2020.

1. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve used a OneSpot to daisy chain my pedals together, but the result didn’t blow me away.

Has anybody tried the Joyo pedal power supply or one of the similar cheap power supplies on amazon?

I know Voodoo labs makes good products, but it seems kinda spendy for bedroom noodling.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been using the Joyo JP02/Caline CP08 (daisy chain in a box i believe, but with handy 12v and 18v outlet) for years without issue except for maybe one pedal I have that appears to definitely need isolated power (EHX B9).

I notice Joyo have just released a true isolated model JP04 which would be better I'm sure

smoothrecluse likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

In my experience, any brick supply, even a cheap one, regulates better than a 1-Spot. I've used both, and using the 1-spot I've had popping when pedals were engaged or disengaged. Bought a no-name brick on eBay and have had no such problems.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

After trying a Power-All I threw my 1 spot away. I use it for a small pedal board (3-4 pedals) For any more than that or when recording I consider the Voodoo labs power supply to be money well spent.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I just bought a Volto 3 but it hasn't arrived yet. I only use 3 pedals max so it should be fine.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have one by Caline, which I paid about $50 for on Amazon. It is a definite step up from the OneSpot, but still not isolated. I have 9 pedals running through it and it works perfectly.

7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Donner DP-1 isolated supply works for me. It was £22 in the UK and very quiet.

MrClint likes this.
  8. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Using a Caline power supply works awesome and it’s like $30

9. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

10. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I set up a pedal board that doesn't require a 9v subscription or a power cable stretching back to the wall. I confess I probably won't get the chance to plug an amp into a generator and play electric music off the grid. But I was so happy with the portability and low noise floor that this is going to be my "outboard" setup for the foreseeable future.

I used:

- a 5v 10,000mAh USB battery
    - a 5v-12v step-up converter USB to 2.1mm barrel plug cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3ERI6U/?tag=tdpri-20
    - a power supply that uses a 12vdc tip-negative connector to connect to external electricity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015X9E4VI/?tag=tdpri-20
    - a polarity-reversing adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBG5QE/?tag=tdpri-20

Caveats:

- Reviews of that step-up DC-DC voltage converter suggest it's only putting out ~600mA at 12v
    - I confirmed my assumptions/reading of labels regarding voltage and polarity with a meter before plugging in $$ pedals
    - If you don't have enough draw (i.e., you turn off every pedal to play a squeaky-clean verse), the battery I used will turn its output off. I had to get my meter set up and turned on before plugging the USB converter into the battery because the converter itself doesn't draw enough to keep the battery outputting power.
    - That's not the exact power supply, I can't find the one I bought online now. If it uses a 12vdc tip-negative connection to the wall, I think it's interchangeable for this purpose. (Hopefully the Vitoos one I linked to comes with a quieter wall wart than the one I actually have)
    - If I didn't already have that polarity-reverse adapter, I would have just cut off the barrel connector on the step up converter and swapped the 2 wires. That's how cheap I am.

This whole pile was less than $100 incl. shipping, and almost half of that is the power supply that will come with a wall wart of its own. So if you're just using daisy chains or (g-d forbid) batteries and are considering getting a power supply, one that uses a 12v input to generate its 9-12-18v outputs can also be used this way, for only an additional $40-50. And wow is the battery quieter than the wall wart mine came with (not the Vitoos I linked to, the one I got is so no-name I can't even find it now). This is going to be my pedal power solution for the foreseeable future.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    dswo and smoothrecluse like this.
  11. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

Not being a pessimist, but each of the cheaper alternatives failed in a short time, at the worst time, or were not able to keep up from the get go. I like Voodoo which never let me down but is spendy and a bit heavy. GigRig are more expensive, but smaller, super light and at pack huge power for more than I need.

02¢

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I'm using a Caline CP-04 that has 10 isolated outputs - eight 9v, one 12v, and one 18v. No complaints so far. It was less than $40.

Doctorx33 and Marc Morfei like this.
  13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been using a Caline Pedal 5 for a few years now. The supplied wall wart was noisy, but an 18V laptop supply with the connector changed to suit saw the end of noise problems. It isn't an isolated supply in the truest sense, but if one outlet shorts, it doesn't take the others down.

18V in, many 9V out, plus 12V, 18V and a higher current 5V.

Works perfectly, initial noisy wall wart aside.

16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Yeh, beat me to it. I have one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMRQVPN/?tag=tdpri-20

BTW, apologies to RG Keen who designed it, but the One Spot sucks. I had two of them and they both had noise, right up to the moment they failed.

17. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using the cheap Donner and Caline bricks. They’re good, but much better after I got a couple Furman power conditioners to plug them in to. Has big outlets for transformers. If I ever have a problem with a particular pedal, I’ll run a separate adapter to it using one of the other outlets on the Furman. The only thing going into the wall is the Furman. $43 right now on Amazon.
    [​IMG]

howardlo likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I just use a generic 9VDC output wall wort with enough power to handle my 9 pedals:
    IMG_2987.JPG

Blue Bill likes this.
  19. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Same, have used it for a year no issues.

20. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I have a donner DP-2 and it does the trick just fine without breaking the bank.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.