Cheap, noiseless Tele pickup recommendations?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rojo412, Oct 22, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

I ended up getting a silly cheap deal on a like new Squier Bullet Tele. Everything works great for me, but I’m not a fan of the pickups. I’m not a fan of any pickups that suffer from 60-cycle hum, actually.

GFS have treated me okay in the past, so I’m not opposed to them. They have sets for $60 that are either noiseless or active.

But I’m sure there are other options out there and I always like trying new things.

Any recommendations?

Greggorios and That Cal Webway like this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Lawrence microcoils

Greggorios likes this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Lawrence 480TL

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

A good copper shielding never can hurt.

Matthias likes this.
  5. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Shielding isn't the issue on this, honestly. These exhibit the typical 60-cycle thing. And I'd be doing a nickel shielding paint before installing any new pickups, it works as good as copper tape and is about 1% of the effort. Been using it for years.

I do know that Lawrence/Wilde pickups are decent for sure. But I was honestly trying to keep it even cheaper than those, if possible.

The current frontrunners that I'm looking at are GFS Neovin noiseless or the REDactive set with the boost switches. I'm looking at about $75 shipped for either set.
    Granted, the Lawrence aren't a ton more (probably $40 more shipped), but would love to keep it even more basic at this point.

6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway TDPRI Member

Greggorios likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

Some Squier Vintage Modified guitars were getting stacked pickups "Duncan Designed"

Exactly what they sound like, they were Duncan licensed, but made overseas.

You can find both neck and bridge versions on Reverb for cheap.

I love mine in my Squier SSH Vintage Modified Tele. They are dead quiet.

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Although classifying them as cheap or inexpensive would be a stretch, the EMG Active T set in my avatar guitar are dead quiet (until the battery fades, about 6 months for me, then white noise) and are spot-on traditional Tele sound & response, only louder. I built that guitar for jam nights to compensate for the occasional cheesy amp.

10. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

It's funny, a friend of mine said he has a set of the EMGs, so I was really hoping to get them... but he lost them in his shop :oops:

That is actually part of the reason I was thinking about the active GFS set. Problem is, they have switches on the back that you can use to boost bass, treble, and gain... which requires either removing strings, PG, and bridge to make adjustments... or drill a hole through to the back for access. It's not like this is a future museum piece (and I have all of the tools and skills to do that), but I'd hate to go through the trouble just to find out that either the sound good in one position and I never touch them again OR they are just not great and I end up replacing them.

And yeah, Lawrence for sure are some of the best pickups out there. I've been a fan of many of the designs over the years. No doubt, the microcoils would be nice. Who knows, I may go that route? But still wouldn't mind seeing what else is out these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.