Cheap necks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Sep 28, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m looking for a cheap strat neck. When I look they’re about 250 dollars.

I saw a thread where the poster bought a neck for 20. Where?
    Can anyone help?

2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Used squier strats and teles are usually plentiful on craigslist. The necks are not bad for the 80 bucks you will pay.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

ebay... check out Kmise necks...;)

Tonetele and 440mhz like this.
  4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

ive used a few mighty mite necks and found them to be good and about as cheap as i would go

electrichead and Tonetele like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto to Mighty Mite necks. If the pocket is correctly routed ( see stewmac.com for measurements) then a MM neck will fit. Never had one since 1979 that did not.
    They are reasonably priced, licensed by Fender ( stamp on neck heel verifies this) and if you want to pay bigger bucks you can even get them with a Fender decal.

Please note : No commercial affiliations with Mighty Mite or Fender .

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

In Canada, I can get decent necks for about $80 Canadian from Solo Music Gear. I would guess there must be something similar available in Australia.

To an extent, you get what you pay for. I got a cheap neck out of China on eBay for under $40 CDN delivered. It was straight, the truss rod worked and the finish was excellent. However, upon closer inspection, the nut slot was placed about a 1/16" to and 1/8" too far back. I had to widen the slot and reinstall the nut, which I'm comfortable with. It also had razor sharp fret edges that needed to be filed back. It was a fine neck once all this was done, but required some work. The Solo necks are a bit better but still require fret leveling and a bit of dressing of the fret ends. Squier necks are usually excellent for the price if you can find one. It's harder to find one at a good price here than in the USA - often I can find an entire used Squier guitar cheaper! (Which I have done on two occasions). Pay more for a Fender or Warmouth neck and you have more options to choose from, as far as finish, neck profile, etc. And you should have less work to do on it. One note about the cheaper necks; they usually use fret material that is softer than a quality neck. It should be fine for a few years if you use regular strings, but it will need to be refretted at some point. If you use harder composition strings, like stainless steel, you could groove those frets in no time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.