1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap motel near West Yellowstone please, dog friendly a plus

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Apr 18, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I'm looking to get away late this summer. It will be on a very meager budget and my dog might go.

I prefer motels, I do not like hotels. I have mobility issues and walk with the aid of a cane.

Looking to beat the heat for a couple of weeks and heard the weather there is mild late August...

First leg of Journey is to Trinidad, CO for a couple of nights then on to MT.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

When I travelled through the states I loved Motel 6. I had a 85lb boxer with me and (at least at that time) all Motel 6 locations were pet friendly with no silly weight restrictions.

Only complaint about Motel 6 is that they often don't have carpet and the old boy with arthritis was not too happy with laminate. We literally rolled out the carpet for him (shoulda got red stuff).

Also, I found in terms of cleanliness and upkeep they were usually shooting above average for the price range.

Jim622 likes this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Not sure what you’d consider cheap around Yellowstone in the summer.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I don't know what your $$ budget is, but we stayed at the Holiday Inn West Yellowstone a couple of years ago. Their website says they take pets, although a phone call is probably a good idea. I remember nothing bad about it. It is a straight, easy shot to Yellowstone's west gate from there. Hit it right at opening and you'll get to see the bison repositioning across the roads for their morning graze. For the big bears at the NE gate, plan ahead...it's a pretty good drive over there.

5. reactor99

reactor99 Tele-Meister

We stayed at the Yellowstone West Gate Hotel a few years ago and it was fine, nothing fancy. It *might* be one of the cheaper options since it is a few blocks away from the shops and restaurants (except for a pancake house). Good luck!

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I'm talking LOW budget... The kind of motel you might not normally stay... Unless broke and homeless type place where people might be living... Doesn't bother me, I want cheap, dirt cheap... Motel, not hotel...

Motel 6 would be high on the hog for this trip...

Mr powers likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Maybe Mack's Inn in Island Park?

8. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have you considered some of the accommodations or cabins within the Park? Roosevelt Lodge offers some very rustic cabins that are affordable. I don't know about COVID restrictions though. Outside the Park, I prefer the Cooke City/Silver Gate area, but there are a lot fewer amenities. However, a LOT fewer people!

boris bubbanov and drf64 like this.
  9. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

Wanting one star prices in one of the most popular American summer tourist destinations are mutually exclusive. Plus, gas, meals, everything are more expensive. Look at the map and find a small mountain town up in the pines and try that...

BelairPlayer, DrPepper and Boreas like this.
  10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i have a feeling that the crowds at YNP are going to be crazy this summer..

good luck drpepper, be prepared for anything..

Fretting out, DrPepper and Boreas like this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

May not be much to look at but the showers are something you'll never forget.

C9D9AB1C-57E4-46B5-8534-C865C241606C_4_5005_c.jpeg

12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I was just looking on Expedia. Not very promising. Most places to stay raise their rates $100 per night from June to October. Not all, but most. The rest of the year is a crapshoot with weather and road closures.
    I’ve planned this trip many times and never went. Even booked a suite one time, but the friends who “WANTED TO GO” both pulled out by May. Other than what others have said about finding lodging farther away (which I haven’t looked into), it’s a pretty expensive trip.

Boreas likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you can swing it, MY recommendation is to go in early-mid September when the kids are back in school (hopefully!). Prices and temperatures drop. Elk & bison are hormonally amped and fewer lines at EVERY boardwalk, outlook, services, and fewer gawkers along the roads creating bison/bear-jams. I was very frustrated with a short mid-July stay once.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

If I make it as far as Morrison, CO I will be happy. I plan to center the trip around a concert at Red Rocks... Motel 6 in Trinidad would be better then staying home.

Boreas, ozcal and Big_Bend like this.
  15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

To me, a cheap motel is a $25 to $40 a night walk-up...and I highly doubt there will be any around Yellowstone at that time of year. I was going to say to pitch a tent somewhere, but your physical ailments would not make that very enjoyable. Maybe driving a bit out to a less traveled town would be the way to go.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Something to think about: Can you take dogs into the park?

"Pets are allowed in public areas, parking lots and within 100 feet of any road. They must be on a leash that is not longer than 6 feet in length at all times. ... Pets are not allowed on any boardwalks or trails. Pets are prohibited from all of Yellowstone's backcountry."

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Buster probably wont go this trip, would like to but, he's not ready to travel yet...

Boreas and schmee like this.
  18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I hope you like bedbugs... :eek:

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I'll take precautions...

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Gets good reviews.
    upload_2021-4-18_17-23-51.png

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.