1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap mini's - what's good?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grateful Ape, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Been looking to put together an affordable, small alternative to my PT1, and have had some luck with cheap mini pedals. Notably Kokko Overdrive, Kokko Timer delay, Donner Boost Killer and Moore Black Secret. Mosky Golden Horse sounded good for the few minutes before it died.

So - what else, in your experience of this sector, is good? Especially chorus & compression.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

3. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

The Mooer stuff that I’ve tried has generally been extremely good. I like their Reecho delay pedal. Their Green Mile is not bad, but I much prefer my mini tubescreamer for that particular style of OD.

On the chorus front, the best sounding chorus I’ve heard in ages is the TC mini Corona - and that’s from someone who has hardly ever (ever!) liked a digital chorus.

Nickadermis likes this.
  4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The KoKKo Compressor is very nice, but it's what I'd call a "dirty" compressor, as there's a bit o' grit in it. Lots of booster-licious volume, too. Good for live feedback.
    The Nu-x Brownie is a good MIAB alternative. It's less strident in the mids and a bit less gain too boot, but it sounds "organic" to me. More "tweedy" and JTM45, not JCM800.
    The Amoon Chorus is great, too, because it's more adjustable than most, and it's even (slightly) smaller than "mini".

5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Love the sound of my mini Tube Screamer when I need to hear that sound. I just don’t play that much music that requires it.

johnhe likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've managed to collect about 30 or so of these pedals. Here are some compressors and choruses I have...

Kokko Compressor - It's an OTA type compressor like the Dynacomp. It can get squishy and has a good amount of boost to it. There are several pedals around that are the same circuit but under a different brand name.

Mosky Dyna - Another OTA compressor with a single knob. I'd recommend the Kokko over it for that reason.

Ammoon Opti-Comp - A super-mini optical compressor based on the Hotone Komp pedal circuit. It lends a decent clean boost, adjustable tone and decent, but not overpowering, compression. I use this one a lot. You'll see this one under other brand names.

Ammoon Chorus - Another super-mini, also based on a Hotone pedal, the Choir. I'm not a big chorus user but it does a pretty good job. It's also sold under the Rowin and Donner brand names but it's the same pedal.

ENO EX Chorus - Based on the Boss CH-1 circuit. It's OK. I loaned it and the Mosky Dyna out to a relative who is new to guitar and big into 80's music and kept the Ammoon.

7. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

The new mosky comp has 2 knobs.

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Mooer has some nice sounding peedals - my King Ensemble was a good chorus (I don't like the sound of chorus any longer, so I sold it).
    The Shimverb sucked big time.
    The Hotone Skyline Trem doesn't provide lots of variation, but the general sound is solid.
    My Hotone Soul Press is fine - if you like the general wah-sound, which lacks a bit high-treble-peaks, but works for me on a small "quick&dirty"-session-board.
    Harley Benton (german brand name for Joyo) Clean Glass and Golden Tone are nice overdrives, but seem to depend a lot on the amp being fed to. They're okay with my main Amp (Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary), but get a bit "piercing" and shrill when fed to a solid-state amp with only bass/treble eq

9. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Mooer Black Secret totally rocks.

I have Triangle Buff, Cruncher pedals from Mooer as well but do not like them at all.

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very good = Rowin Lef-606 fuzz
    Good = Tomsline G-Fuzz
    Good = Kokko mini overdrive
    Save your money = Tomsline Auto-Wah

I'm gradually replacing most of my pedals with mini versions. It's a slow process, so without thread hijacking, keep those suggestions coming!.

The Rowin and Kokko compressor and delay pedals have my eye.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Maybe not super cheap.. think I paid $100 aud second hand, but the zvex fuzzolo is pretty cool. Goes from smooth fuzz to very gated and spluttery. One knob does it all.

12. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Mooer and Tone City make solid stuff

kevsonic likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The little secret about the cheap "analog" delay pedals is that they're almost all built around the PT2399 chip with minor circuit differences. There's nothing wrong with the chip, many high end pedal builders use it as well. It's just that they're kind of hear one, hear them all. I made the mistake of buying 5 different ones before I figured that out fully.

3-Chord-Genius and VintageSG like this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good to know. I use a Joyo digital delay as my always on, go to , slapback, which I believe is based around the same chip. It's very 'analogue-y' when I do twiddle things to get some trailing delays in the way it decays.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Kokko SOS FLP2 mini Looper, works just like the Ditto Mini. I like it.

This is the only mini pedal I have.

16. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I've done research into these pedals lately, and found out that there's a single company over there that's making the same internal components for several different manufacturers. They're going to sound the same, but have only minor differences in the quality of the pots and such. Mooer is no exception... as an example the Rowin Classic flanger has the same guts as the Mooer e-lady, but is 1/3 of the price. Both are great pedals, by the way. Look at the Mooer, and then look at other cheaper brands that have the same form factor, knob layout and such, are almost sure to be made by the same manufaturer. You're going to save a lot of money not paying for the Mooer brand name.

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Out of curiosity, which company is the manufacturer here?

18. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Not sure - there was a picture I saw a while back that had the guts of four of these Chinese flangers side by side, and all 4 of them had the same mainboard stamped with "Eleclady" on it.

19. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

You make a good point. The Shimverb was terrible - totally without any redeeming qualities in my recollection.

ClashCityTele likes this.
  20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Donner Yellow Fall delay is very good... as is the ENO Myomorpha (but I see you already have the Mooer black secret RAT clone).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.