? cheap mic for digital recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by BB, Nov 7, 2013.

1. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I have a first version Line 6 BackTrack digital recorder. The new model has a built in mic, but this one does not have a mic. I have a very limited (ie, nada!) budget, so any recommendations for a low cost mic would be appreciated. Nothing fancy recording wise with this one....I just want to use it as a scratch pad to capture ideas with voice and acoustic guitar. Of course, I'd like it to sound half way decent, but the main criteria is price. Probably a stupid question, but is there anything out there in the $20 to $30 range that would work?

I've hit the local Goodwill, thrift shops and pawn shops hoping to find something as a stop gap, but no luck at this time. Again, any rec's or opinions appreciated. Thanks!

2. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Youre not making it easy...The only thing that springs to mind (i have a pair and they are surprisingly good...for the money) are Karma audio silver bullets. About 30 bucks for two. Dont expect too much.. They are bright, but no nonsense and pretty quiet.

3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks SP.....I'll check em out!

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

oh cheap mics are my bread and butter! the shure prologue line are really good mics for the money. cheapo 80's things that sound like a darker sm57. i've bought 3 of them for $10 a pop at music stores used. peavey makes a lot of great mics for cheap too. their sm58 knockoffs run $30 new sometimes. i've even had a lot of success with super cheap karaoke mics with attached cables. so much can be done with digital EQ adjustments that quality mics aren't nearly as necessary as they used to be.

as for finding that sweet deal... check your local mom and pop music store. used mics are sold really cheap because they have to assume they were used for vocals... which hurts the resale value on an instrument mic

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

go on the GC used website, You may be able to pick up a real Shure 57 or 58 for under $50.

I recently acquired a couple of SM58's for $39 each...

6. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

I use a Samson CO1U. There USB and you can get them second hand for about 40 Bucks.

7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

OK....think I need to clarify a bit as I did not do a good job in the first post about what I'm looking for!

I have 6 or 7 SM58's, 57's etc.....what I'm after is a small, condenser mic that I can plug into a little digital recording device. The particular modle of back track recorder does not have a built in mic....it was designed for recording electric guitar ideas. I want to see if I can use it to record acoustic guitar and vocals with a mini condenser mic.

8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Just picked up a nice Audio Technica P645 condenser mic that runs on a AA battery for $20 at my fav pawn shop. I've got a couple of low to hi converters and a box for phantom power, so I'll do some experimenting and see if it works!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.