1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap Kit Bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Count, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I finally bit the bullet and dsecided to try a kit build. I needed a Bass so went for the cheapest kit I could find here in Aus. A Precision Bass Kit that was retailing for Aus$146. I have been pleasantly surprised. The kit arrived well packaged and when roughly fitted together everything lined up nicely. The only holes not predrilled where the tuner screw holes in the head stock. The body is Basswood and made up of sections but I decided to go with a naturel finish just lightly stained to match up the colour of the blocks and enhance the fairly "subtle" grain. The kit came with a generous amount of copper foil and a pretty "mediocre" lead like most of the freebie leads that you get these days. I went for a modified Fender style headstock, flowing curves rather than the usual notch. A Cottees Marmalade jar lid made the perfect tamplate for the curves. The body was lightly stained then rubbed back with 400 grit paper then Tru-oiled, 6 coats.

Attached Files:

2. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Nice bass .I built one a lot like yours.I too was looking for something that would give the headstock that Fender look.The first glass
    I picked up in the kitchen was the perfect size to trace out the shape I was looking for.The bass sounds pretty darn good for a kit

3. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

When everything was finished the cavity and pickguard were "foiled" and the whole thing assembled. Assembly was straight forward and set up and intonation a doddle (Aussie term for dead easy). The instrument plays well, has great tone and for the money, cost of kit, Tru-oil and stain is quite remarkable. I suppose when you think about it the major cost in any guitar is the finishing and fitting, most parts being Computer Aided Manufactured these days. Selling the CAM made parts and letting some one else do the expensive stuff must make for an inexpensive product. I am very impressed with this build, extremely easy and a good instrument at the end of the process which only took a bit over a week. Addmitedly the parts are not top draw parts and the body timber is not top grade but I have seen worse on quite expensive guitars.

Attached Files:

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Final shots.

Attached Files:

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

lookin' good, Count....:)

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the genuine article!

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice job. If you want, you can easily upgrade the electronics, etc, but maybe it doesn't need upgrading. . . .

8. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I scatter wound the p bass pick up I play. Trust me every p bass needs a custom scatter wound pick up:D always room for that upgrade. That bass came out nice. Probably a pretty fun build to. Reminds me that I need about ten or twenty more guitars and 4 or 5 more basses I can't afford.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.