Cheap Keyboard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vespa_One, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I'm looking for a keyboard to keep at my mothers house, she thinks she would like to learn to play. I have a feeling it may end up collecting dust so I don't want to buy an expensive one. At the same time I would like it to be quality enough to bring to a gig and record. I can play a little and it may get some use.

Suggestions for a cheap family beginner keyboard that could gig if needed appreciated!

2. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

I know Casio used to be considered toys, but the new Privia range with weighted keys are actually decent, worth checking out.

Vespa_One likes this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I like my synthesiser with twisty knobs on it so I can make a million sounds. Action on keys not as good as a genuine piano but no problem for me

Vespa_One likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

They're everywhere....

Casio KB and stand.. 30 bucks at a garage sale ...... bargain..:D

Casio Keyboard1.jpg

Vespa_One likes this.
  5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I found a Korg M1 in a Gator case at the side of the road the other day.. It powers up, but I can't get a sound out of it.. anyway, I'm taking it to the local police as soon as I get a day off in case it's stolen

6. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I got a Casio for my granddaughter Christmas before last and its collecting dust just fine.

jvin248 and Vespa_One like this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I helped the son of an old girlfriend pick out a nice Yamaha a few months ago.
    It is the Yamaha YPG 235.
    The young man reports that he loves the keyboard, and enjoys learning on it.

For the record, I still play my old Yamaha PSR 400 all the time, and we've used it at gigs before. It still works like a champ. I bought it new in 1989.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

Vespa_One likes this.
  8. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

I have owned a Casio WK3000 in the past. I used to gig with it on occasions too. Sounded surprisingly good though a PA. Also had built in speakers which made it ideal for home use as the OP requires.

Vespa_One likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You'll want weighted keys and a full number of keys which gets you beyond the 'toy noisemaker level' and into something you can use. Models without LCD/LED screens and a hundred knobs and switches will be more durable.
    Don't spill drinks in it. I'd look on your local used classifieds. Lazy return or sticking keys you can replace felt and contact spray can clean the contacts.

Looks like general considerations here https://www.bestconsumerreviews.com/digital-piano-reviews/

I hear that none of the guitar players like a keyboard in a gig band because the keyboard is exactly in tune and the keys reveal the guitar (players) are not.

Vespa_One likes this.
  10. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

"the keyboard is exactly in tune'

for the sake of conversation, no they aren't Mine is a Korg and it's tuneable. Most are. Not individual notes but as a whole. You usually have to google to find out how in each one. If you get the chance and have a tuner with a mic, try it. You may be surprised.

11. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I picked up a pretty nice, like new, Yamaha with weighted full size keys, touch sensitive and 66 keys at a garage sale five or six years ago for $5. Sounds good to me and does all I need.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Vespa_One likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Good thing you picked it up, or two more would have appeared.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  13. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

Whatever you get, make sure it has a output jack. Makes it so much more flexible. Dampers connections are handy too but not always needed

Vespa_One likes this.
  14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

I bought a Yamaha E423 six years ago for $200 new. I don't gig with it, but have amped it for home recording with good results. There's a lot of cheesy sounds inside, but the string voices are very good and the organ options useful.

In retrospect, however, I should've went to a garage sale. I think there's a lot of these things sitting in closets.

Vespa_One likes this.
  15. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Get one that is touch sensitive: If you hit the key harder the sound comes out louder. Go as cheap as you want, but it is no fun if every note is exactly the same volume as every other note. "Touch sensitive" is sometimes called "velocity".
    Touch sensitive is not identical to weighted keys. (Though most weighted key instruments are touch sensitive.) You might not want to pay for weighted keys but without touch sensitive all you have is a toy.

Vespa_One likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for Casio. I bought one fifteen or twenty years ago, cost nearly $200 back then, probably $30-$50 now. Very good sounding piano, B3, Wurlitzer sounds. Playing in a guitar band, I doubled on keyboards with this. Even had funny synthesizer voices that were good for different songs.....did the glockenspiel stuff on Hendrix's Little Wing and B3 on Green Onions and Evil Ways. Amazingly versatile for what it was.

Vespa_One likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I bought my Yamaha at a yard sale, $20. It's not a tiny one either, maybe 66 keys?

nojazzhere and Vespa_One like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.