Cheap Guitars You've Never Been Able To Part With?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by arlum, Dec 22, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Wash G2V (2).jpg Epi Pro 2 (2).jpg

Fendereedo, stevemc and Fergyuk like this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I picked up a Dean Playmate Avalanche strat copy for $10 on OfferUp. I dropped some secondhand Seymour Duncans in it, leveled the frets, and called it good. It is my knockaround/experiment guitar, and I have used it for recordings and playing gigs. It's a pretty great guitar. I haven't had the heart to sell it because my oldest son wants to inherit it; otherwise, I have never been able to not part with a guitar. :confused:

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've parted with a high end Martin and a high end Taylor and have never missed either of them because of this old 1980 MIJ Sigma Anniversary that they'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Fergyuk likes this.
  4. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

A Seville strat, Indiana telecity, First Act and Xaviere. All under $200 each. Seville was my very first electric. Got it in 1981 and still playable to this day...all stock.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I paid $30 for this Tele-Star, but I don’t know about the “can’t let go of” part, since I have it listed on Reverb.com

I paid less than $100 for this Dean VX...it’s a fun diversion, and has confirmed that the V-shape works just fine for me—I will eventually upgrade to a Epiphone or Gibson one day.

But the true “bargain” guitar is this Telecaster, which I bought for ~$300, and I now find priceless...I think this is gonna be #1 from now on...

stevemc and Fergyuk like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

stevemc and Fergyuk like this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

002.JPG I basically never part with cheap guitars.
    There's no money in it.
    Actually...this Supro was a serious cheapie when I bought it around 1986.
    Around 2001, I had a gear purge because I was out of dough...if it was worth any money then, I didn't know it; which is why I still have it.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My best cheapie is this Fender Baja FSR-based build - it was £280! Stupid cheap. Lake Placid Blue Ash body rosewood slab board 10 inch radius it plays like a demon. I have gigged with this. Plays like Custom Shop and stands up to side by side comparisons.

Lake Placid Blue Baja Telecaster project 016.JPG

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

None of mine are expensive. They all rock and I plan on keeping them. Schecter; Tempest Special, strat and PT-tele. Also a Hoyer that I paid the least for but I believe to be the most valuable and underrated. Schecters are crazy underrated.

Attached Files:

Lashdog and stevemc like this.
  10. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I've had this Squier '51 that I picked up for £41 about 12 years ago.

Apart from the bridge, the nut and the scratchplate, it's stock and I don't think I'll ever part with it.

[​IMG]

I've also got this Hello Kitty Strat that I bought for £65 and that I keep for doing daft gigs, because it actually plays really nicely too.

[​IMG]

11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

‘65 Danelectro, bought in the ‘80s when they were just old and weird.

I just bought a Squier Bullet Special to modify. I’m having fun playing it while I wait for parts, so we’ll see whether it’s a keeper. (I think it’s funny that, like the Hello Kitty pictured above, it has only a volume knob, which is labeled “volume.” In case you get confused.)

12. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

All 30 or so of them.

bender66 and bgmacaw like this.
  13. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

OK Sir. You're correct.

A couple of my Les Paul Studio. It now sports a Les Paul Custom pick guard for the white edge stripes and the Gibson pups have been replaced with a set of Suhr Doug Aldrich.

IMG_0488.jpeg IMG_0492.jpeg

Next up are a couple photos of my Ibanez AX Gio. What fate and $179 can get you. While the neck is still the best of the best and all original the original pickups would never do. I replaced them with a pair of Seymour Duncans. An Alnico 2 Pro in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. Also the upper tone pot was switched to a pop up that would allow for splitting the humbuckers for single coil tone.

IMG_0498.jpeg IMG_0493.jpeg

And lastly the guitar my wife so much wanted me to have. The face had a couple of thumb size holes in it so I had to change from my guitar hero costume, (form fitting. You don't want to see them. I don't want to see them. Debi just cracks up.), into my graphic designer hero costume. Artistic sticker placement is an art. So ... this is 'our' 1989 Ibanez RG with all gouges hidden from view. The pickups are now a DiMarzio Fred, (bridge pickup), in the neck. A DiMarzio Red Velvet in the middle and a DiMarzio Super 3, (as used in the Jackson Phil Collen Signature guitar.

IMG_0475.jpeg IMG_0477.jpeg IMG_0480.jpeg IMG_0483.jpeg IMG_0483.jpeg

I have no idea why that last photo was added twice but I like it enough to leave it. Our $200 baby. Um ...... with an added $300 in pickups :rolleyes: .

So. There you have your photos. The three cheap guitars that got this thread started. Be happy!

Sean Mac and TimTheViking like this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1093512B-2889-466B-B842-E859B0CD2139.jpeg
    This!
    The Yamaha NTX700, on the right.
    The Goodall, on the left was not cheap.
    The Yamaha sells for $499 new at GC, I got mine off CL for $250.
    They sound and play great!
    They have a narrow(er) nut width, 1 3/4 inch, built in tuner, solid top, cutaway, separate pickups for bass and treble strings.
    It’s extremely comfortable to play standing or sitting, and records beautifully.
    I occasionally do my solo wine bar gig with it.
    Best $250 I ever spent on a guitar!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Sean Mac, Shayo and TimTheViking like this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I really love That! Nice little oddity, I would certainly give it a home.

16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I haven’t really got much in the way of cheap guitars at the moment, however, bought this for £70 (about $90) in 2005. Sold it shortly after for... £70. Regretted it since. Bought it back for... £70 a few months ago. It’s got its issues (mainly some bad chips on the back and the a broken chunk of wood beneath the neck heel/above the pick-up cavity) but one of my favourites after fixing it up. I’ve learned my lesson and won’t be parting with it again!

DF972398-D31D-47A5-A5F6-B0378CE9C131.jpeg

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Not cheap by any means, but my least expensive is an Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro. Just a real tone machine and able to do whatever I've asked of it.

18. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

The little MIM Fender Strat Junior in the middle.
    Very hard to come by, not worth a lot of money. Very cool.
    9A48E042-2375-4022-A152-43C9A48DB53F.jpeg 6488500E-3B66-4E6B-96FA-3937AAC2A550.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife gave me her early 60's RAVEN classical flamenco guitar that I adjusted and modified to play left handed , incredably low action on it now and it is my go to guitar to noodle on , I love the fat neck , I installed a dean Markley piezo pickup in it and it shines , I couldnt sell it even if I wanted to.

forgive the herd shot I did not have a close up of the Raven

P1010006.JPG

FenderGyrl likes this.
  20. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.