1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap Guitar to upgrade

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PaulHaa, Dec 9, 2016.

1. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Hey,
    I'm looking for a cheap guitar for around 100$ to upgrade and customize. Preferably a strat or tele shape. Any recommendations?

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Go to a local pawn shop and look around. Squier's are a great modding platform or might fit the bill as is.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Ebay

4. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

Agree with Zepfan. My first mod project was a $40 pawn shop Squier Affinity. Good base for mods.

5ofeight likes this.
  5. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When GC has them at $80 and $100 it's hard to beat a LP Junior OR LP Special. For tele style, there's always things like
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eg491crm7b.html

If you can find something at a great price at pawn shops or CL, better yet.

PaulHaa likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Have a look at Monoprice's guitars. I bought a Strat copy in August for $69.99 and free shipping.

The only modifications I've made have been to replace the nut with a TUSQ, replace the flat string trees with curved ones, and install locking tuners. I'm going to leave the electronics alone, but I may eventually shield the cavities, and I'll replace the neck when the frets wear out.

PaulHaa likes this.
  7. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I'd go shop around at every pawn shop nearby. Look for the oldest Squier you can find. Maybe a Jay Turser or Tokai or any other similar quality Fender knockoff?

PaulHaa likes this.
  8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Man, it's not such a small world:

The pawn shops in south Florida all STINK if you're looking for a good deal. I don't get their mentality. They get the stuff for pennies on the dollar, and charge just a hair less than new.

Maybe the deal is you're supposed to haggle on final price, like I'm in a flea market in Haiti, but that's not my style.

Give me a fair price and I'll pay it. I don't want to play these bargaining games.

Peltogyne and PaulHaa like this.
  9. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I have an Epiphone T-310 (tele knock-off) that I've been planning to modify for the past year or so.
    I usually see them priced at anywhere from $130 to $150 on the used market. Build quality was fairly good
    to begin with, so I'm hesitant to take it apart and cut it up without a very clear plan of what I want to
    achieve. It's too easy to spend a lot of money on upgrades that aren't absolutely essential.

PaulHaa likes this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look for Strat-shaped guitars, they tend to be less expensive used and there are a lot of them.
    Any of the starter brands sold by the big box stores will show up on your local Craigslist and often go for as low as $20-$30.
    Occasionally you can find Squiers this low too.
    Get a new pickguard and you can load in any pickups and electronics you want. I usually block the trem.

I've had the most fun with Tele pickups and P90s this way.

PaulHaa likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd suggest finding an <$50 guitar to mod rather than these. I expect the T-310s to go up in value unless yours had already been worked on by prior owners.

PaulHaa likes this.
  13. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Thanks, that's a very good observation, jvin248. My T-310 has not been modified.
    I have it in the back of my mind that I'd like to try installing a Fishman powerbridge
    set-up in it, but on the other hand, I see that I could leave it the heck alone and as is, it's a good back-up guitar for me or a good guitar to pass along to one of the kids in the extended family.

Most of us here on this site honed our skills on less expensive guitars, and back in that day, there were fewer
    affordable Strat-shaped guitars available.

PaulHaa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.