Cheap guitar that you always go back to...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Dec 31, 2018.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've spent the last couple of years trying to upgrade the 'quality' of my guitar collection, and I've done pretty well with it. But there are a couple of cheap guitars that I'll always hang on to, and this might be the best of my low-end stuff.

[​IMG]

1989 Epiphone LP Custom, made in Korea. I found it on Craig's List about 13 years ago, forked over a whopping $250 for it. I've since switched out the pickups and wiring, and it's one of the most flat-out dependable guitars I own. 1989 was the last year that Epi built guitars with their modified 'open-book' headstock, and I had been looking for one for years before this one turned up. It's every bit as solid as any of the Gibson LPs I own.

I've been playing P-90 guitars for most of the past year, but I pulled this one out to test my pedal board last night, and like I always do, I wondered why I've let it sit for so long.

What's your cheap go-to guitar?

- D

Zepfan, ftbtx and nojazzhere like this.
  2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I have a Penco 00 copy acoustic that I often play. Actually I have several acoustics around and my Gibson usually sits in the case. For Electric I have a tele with a MIM neck that is very cool and my main home player with a couple of custom shop models that I play live.

ftbtx and StrangerNY like this.
  3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have three nylon strings that I use for a variety of things; writing, travel, keeping at friends, porch sitting etc. One is a '70s MIJ" Decca", that was given to me years ago, apparently it was part of a kit that was mailed out to those taking a OTA music course on the local PBS station.The second is a minty '60s Silvertone "Classical Guitar" (probably a Kay) that was a thrift store find for $50 this I have actually use in a public classical performance. The third is a odd little thing that simply says "Guitar" on the label and matching un padded gig bag. $15 at a yard sale. It actually sounds pretty good, and gets a fair amount of use.

I also have a $100 Affinity P-Bass that I keep meaning to "upgrade" I even bought a MIM Jazz Bass neck and PU for it..never installed either. It does what I need a bass to do, so it goes..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    ftbtx likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I haven't owned either of these for very long (6 months for the acoustic, a year or so for the electric), but I sure do play them a lot. Total cost for BOTH guitars was $450. The acoustic really needs a fret job - it will be my first - and the nut and bridge could probably stand an upgrade, but dangit all, it has a really great dry woody sound that you just don't get out of every acoustic. The electric is, I have to say, my best sounding and playing guitar overall. If I had to pick just one electric for all my needs, this would be the one. If I ever was a guitar cork-sniffer, I'm not anymore.

Zepfan, StrangerNY and ftbtx like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My #1, a 1993 Korean Fender Squier Telecaster was originally bought for $100 at a guitar show.....although the only original parts remaining are the (refinished) body, the control plate, and the strap buttons. Literally everything else has been changed, sometimes three or four times. I've had it about eighteen years, and my "preferences" have evolved as this guitar has.
    And while I have a Hofner Club bass on its way, my "go to" bass for over twenty years has been a (coincidentally) 1993 Korean Fender Squier P-Bass I got for $120. The only things changed on it is upgraded tuners and a tortoise pickguard.

ftbtx and StrangerNY like this.
  6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a 1976 Westbury Performer, it's beat up and dinged, but I just love the neck so much. I got it for about $200 a few years back.
    Here is a picture of someone else's, not mine:
    [​IMG]

Jef, Zepfan, Djentleman Dan and 3 others like this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My Squier VM Jazzmaster (shown after Jazzblaster conversion):

IMG_4293.jpg

I have other, more expensive Jazzmasters, but the Squier totally hangs with them.

I just picked up one of those, too. I bought a set of used MIM bass tuners 'cause the ones on it are really bad (I'm not a tuner snob, but these are terrible), and $10 worth of alnico V magnets to see what happens if I replace the ceramic magnets in the stock pickup. It don't need that, it's just an experiment for the hell of it. Other than the tuners, after a quick setup it's as good as any MIM Standard I've ever seen. I got it off Craigslist for about the price of a used pedal.

DonM, Zepfan, skunqesh and 2 others like this.
  8. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

about ten years ago I overhauled a "very economical" MIJ Crestline LP Jr. Just for fun.
    In it's original state, it was a basket case, so I reset the intonation, upgraded tuners, and installed a super distortion knock-off with push pull switches (ala tri sound).
    It turned out to be a sweet little hot rod. Great for Green Day / Ramones kinda stuff.

gave it to an old friend of mine, who was begining to teach himself how to play.

crestline.jpg

dented, hellopike, DonM and 3 others like this.
  9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I traded an old beater stand up piano for this one back in the 80's. Since then I've bought and sold a high end Martin and Taylor but this one has stood the test of time. It's currently my only acoustic and without a doubt the best I've ever had.

1980 made in Japan Sigma D10 Anniversary Edition.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

Got 3 of them that I’m never getting rid of. Epi Les Paul Standard Flame Top, MIM Strat and Squier CVC.
    909C75B4-D819-4D95-A896-106DAD9EA271.jpeg

11. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I have this tele I always seem to pick up instead of the others . 19420875_680930875441450_2357269605405811506_n.jpg

DonM, StrangerNY and ftbtx like this.
  12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

"Ol Yellor" $40.00 from a Pawn shop. 1998 Affinity Squier Strat. Think the shop had marked it off as hopeless. The neck had a big bow, electronics was in disarray and the guitar in general was pretty filthy. Me being somewhat of a guitar tech could see through the neglect and abuse. After some TLC it has become a strat that I highly favor out of my 6 strats. Platefire
    DSC03453.JPG

Stereo Jeff, StrangerNY and ftbtx like this.
  13. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I've always spent the most time with the most expensive guitar that I owned at the time. For 20 years it was the same $250 Strat.

It doesn't get brought out much these days, and when it does, it mostly reminds me of 20 years of desperate doomed attempts to make it sound decent at anything other than SRV and Hendrix.

StrangerNY and ftbtx like this.
  14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

This one was like $90 brand new:
    [​IMG]
    It's a kid's guitar, 3/4 scale. Not much sustain or volume, but easy to play and very bendable. Also I don't have a heart attack if someone knocks it over.

StrangerNY and ftbtx like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

They have their quirks but they get played. The Strat less so due to a skinny neck. The 1970 Global I got as a body and neck and had to replace everything else, including the frets. It's a MIJ Ibanez ghost-build. Chassis is pretty much identical to a modern Epiphone Special II. It has a real plywood body (so I know it's not the wood creating fancy tones).

[​IMG]

hellopike and StrangerNY like this.
  16. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

My £100 Tanglewood, covers so many bases, and sounds incredible.

[​IMG]

Stereo Jeff and StrangerNY like this.
  17. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

2014 Gibson SGJ 61 zebra pups 24 fret.. marsh4x12.jpg

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

All of mine are cheap guitars or self made so....basically all of mine. My top 4:
    DSCF0770.JPG

19. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Well I only have cheap guitars :D

Currently the one most often on my lap is the Slick SL51 Tele, after that Shengze strat. Old girl's getting moody again, guess I'll have to start cuddling her a bit more often...

Zepfan and StrangerNY like this.
  20. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

My Slick SL59: Jr. Style, brutal and beautiful grain, and double cutaway.

I added a tone control, daringly drilling a new hole (stock only had one volume pot hole), put on amber speed knobs, and lastly, I replaced the P90 with the one from my Epi LPJ. The Epi P90 was dog ear, so i had to swap the plates for the soapbar.

I love this guitar. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.