Cheap guitar build ideas?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highwaycat, Oct 14, 2021.

1. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

You can get decent quality bodies from no moon laser. They will be a rough nitro finish, so not real glossy. Perhaps extra buffing will help if that is a concern. You can get good American made pups from Bootstrap Pickups. They are made in Ohio and probably will cost a bit more for shipping but they are in the $50 price range for Tele pups. Several varieties available. Other parts available through eBay, Stratosphere, etc. not sure on best place for necks cost wise but I will say that Fender licensed Allparts necks are very good in my experience. They will most likely be the most expensive part of the build.

2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

GFS is about as inexpensive as it gets for parts, but there's shipping. It will be hard to get the price under that of a super-cheapie on Amazon though.

My local Music Go Round used to have a bunch of bodies and necks lying around. I've been tempted to buy some of their parts and put together a "scrounge-o-caster", but I don't know what kind of money they'd want.

3. enorbet2

enorbet2 Tele-Meister

It is getting harder and harder to beat many Asian cheap guitars these days because of cheap labor, automation and high wood quality. Generally with automated C&C machines they are setup and play very well. The major parts that kinda suck are pickups, pots and tuners... bridges sometimes are too light but usable. For beginners I'd replace the tuning machine heads sooner rather than later but the rest is at least OK for a beginner. Let the beginner decide about pickups, pots and bridges.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.