CHEAP Gig Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Vespa_One, Mar 27, 2017.

Can you get a giggable amp for under $300?

1. YES

95 vote(s)
    96.9%
  2. NO

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a great rundown of the model's history.

There are nuances, mostly in the drive circuit, but most find the best use as a clean amp with pedals in front of it. I recently got a Joyo American Sound due to raving reviews and I believe them now. That pedal and a Bandit can be amazing. The Intheblues channel linked below has some videos of this pedal vs real Fender amps.

The red-stripe models are the preferred collectible boxes, with the block Peavey, but all of them are good so you can't go wrong getting any. I have a 65, a 112, and a red stripe block letter Studio Pro 212. I play the 65 the most of them.

The Intheblues channel has a lot of videos focused around the Peavey amps He's partly responsible for them being harder to find these days, and TDPRI ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    opend and Vespa_One like this.
  2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I second on the Peavey Bandit 112. There's a lot of them around at pawnshops in my area for less than $100. I use one and it is LOUD enough for gigs. I used it a few times in outdoor situations and it could hold. It has awesome drive and clean options. I usually use the power amp in from my mfx which is just as awesome! It is my one and only amp and I don't need another.

Vespa_One likes this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

While I would vote for (and own) a Boss Katana (you could skip effects, the onboard sound terrific), I did see a Bandit used for $179.00. @ Sam Ash. Also a good choice...

tery and Vespa_One like this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Check out the Boss Katana 50 or 100 .

Bobbyoso, Unadan and Vespa_One like this.
  5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I agree how great the Peavey Classic 50 sounds, but both the 2x12 and 4x10 seem to be a bit on the heavy side. My own example is in a custom-made solid pine tweed-covered 2x10 cabinet and the whole plot weighs just 44 lbs. As loud as you like as well. Still a bit physically large for many of my gigs in tight spaces, but glorious when I can use it. Still, if you can get hold of one for $300 and you have the space and muscles for it, you won't be sorry.

Vespa_One likes this.
  6. LBrewski

LBrewski TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Mustang III gets you the Fender sounds, and a lot more. Love my v1, I'm sure the v2 is even better.

Jim Dep and Vespa_One like this.
  7. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

I've seen AC15s and Peavy Delta Blues go for that on occasion. But any of the Peavy Classic series, Crate Vintage Clubs, Palaminos, Fender Pawnshop Series, Bandits are good bang for the buck options.

Vespa_One likes this.
  8. Danny87

Danny87 TDPRI Member

If you still want great tone, get yourself a used blues junior or vox ac15c1 and mic it up...problem solved!

Vespa_One likes this.
  9. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Boss Katana or Fender Champion 40 or larger.I have the Champion .

Vespa_One likes this.
  10. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I've never been able to get a satisfactory tone from a Blues Jr. The only was I get close it turning the master to 12, and riding the gain around 2 or 3. Hook up my pedal board and I can get through the night.

thegeezer, Bob M and Tony474 like this.
  11. Danny87

Danny87 TDPRI Member

What guitar do you play and what genre of music? I can get some pretty sweet sounds with a strat and tele.

12. cboutilier

Usually a Tele or an ES335. Playing country-rock, classic rock, and blues. I find the overdrive characteristics of a BJr to be unpleasant to my ears, and the cleans to be ok. I play my Valve Jr, over a Blues Jr. at given opportunity if I want breakup. If I want cleans, I have a Vibroverb clone. So that's not really fair to the BJR haha.

I am very impressed with how much headroom a Blues Junior has with the master cranked. It's way louder than my Princeton Reverb clone, and doesn't feel any quieter than my VV

13. Danny87

Danny87 TDPRI Member

Oddly enough I play an es339 and a tele too. I like the natural overdrive of the amp but I've just put a nocaster in the bridge of my tele and now it sounds even better...it growls like a muthafu**er! Suppose we all have a different ear for what sounds best to us!

14. cboutilier

My Tele has a Broadcaster in the bridge. I find it hits the Blues Jr in a rough way. It's a gritty overdrive as opposed to creamy if you know what you mean.

15. Teleman

Teleman Tele-Meister

Peavey Bandit can be picked up used very cheap. Very reliable and they take pedals great. For new amp look into the Boss Katana. I played the 50 watt model and was very impressed; especially since it was priced at $199 new!

Vespa_One likes this.
  16. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A lot of jam hosts prefer you use the amps provided. It can be a PIA to change up rigs and also eats up time. Not saying a new amp is a bad idea but you might want to make sure you really need one first.

Vespa_One likes this.
  17. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Bandit !! First choice.

DavidP and Vespa_One like this.
  18. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Fender FM65R s.h. 12" speaker, great cleans, affordable distorsion. Great with pedals...

Vespa_One likes this.
  19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I used to go to a regular jam for years until the guitarist in the house band moved away and took his appropriately versatile setup with him. The new guy's amp and pedals were set up to suit just him, without thought for others who might be using it. OK if all you wanted was screaming distortion, but that's not my thing, so I stopped going and haven't been back.

Vespa_One likes this.
  20. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

used Blues Jr. Series 1....can be bought used for about $300.

There are different versions of this amp and they sound different from one another.

Vespa_One likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.