Cheap Chinese Bridge with Bigsby rip-off

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Slowtwitch, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Has any of you used these cheap chinese bridges with a Bigsby B5 or the chinese rip-off version of the Bigsby (from research seams to function as well as the real Bigsby)?

045955.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=302748262035

"For any 4 screws tele bridge and has 10.8mm string spacing
    Saddle made of Copper
    Color: Silver
    Size:8.5x7.7x1.4cm(approx)"

What I like is the slotted barrels and obviously the ridiculous low price $6.80!

Is the quality OK and what about string spacing and intonation?

Yes I know I need to cut the back face for the strings to run to the B5.

2. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

If you don't mind putting Chinese rip off garbage on your Axe, go for it.

Completely hilarious from the listing:
    "The measurement allowed error is +/-1-3cm". At +/- 3 CM's, that would be 2.3 inches possible dimensional variance.

According to their dimensional manufacturing tolerance, you might want to buy 10 or maybe even 100 so that you have a chance of getting one that fits.

Of course sending as much of our manufacturing capability as possible to China is just good business. There will always be minimum wage jobs in food service and landscaping jobs for CEO's that got filthy rich offloading our manufacturing overseas.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

I've used similar bridges on some cheap parts casters and the bridge stampings are great, but the saddles on the ones I've used were crap, and I wound up replacing them. If you're going to notch a bridge plate for clearance, I say got for it with one of these, and you can probably get one where it's already been done.

As for the knock off Bigsby, I've used a couple of them, and out of the bag they are rattly and the springs are crap, but I was able to use bushings and plastic washers I got at my local hardware store to tighten up the clearances, and I got real Bigsby springs and they're fine now.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes I have used this bridge on two,non Bigsby,builds.
    It is fine , better made than the Fender US stamped ones,the saddles are good quality and for some reason intonate almost 100%,much better than Fender stock brass saddles,they are also heavier .
    The saddles are also a much better design than stock brass saddles since they don't allow the string to slip.
    I liked them so much that I have ordered a few sets of those saddle just to have laying around for future use.

ponce, Slowtwitch and RomanS like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I imagine they would be just as bad at staying in tune or stringing up as a real Bigsby.

I have used the same cheap bridge minus the Bigsby option and it works just like one with Fender stamped on it. Just be sure to read the feedback before buying one. Some of them appear to come with alloy anodized saddles rather than brass. I bought a few for future use, one with six brass barrel saddles too. They are great value at $10 bucks or under delivered.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Never had a tuning problem with the many Bigsby loaded guitars I have had over the years,in fact my Gretsch white falcon might be the most stable guitar I own.
    Just cut the nut correctly and string the guitar properly and you are in business.For free floating bridges simply pin them with cello rosin.
    For hassle free stringing the Vibramate string spoiler is God sent.

Attached Files:

nick0, BorderRadio, beyer160 and 2 others like this.
  7. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I have the “chigsby” on a partscaster I built. Works fine.

.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

That's actually very similar to the setup and colour I'm planning! I see you used the Wilkinson compensated short bridge. How's the intonation across the neck?

9. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Good hardware is the salt and pepper on a guitar, what do you expect from cheap stuff? Don‘t want to sound arrogant, but I don‘t like tension bar Bigsbys and I really hate cheap Bigsby fakes. A B5 isn’t my cup of tea...Best friend of a Bigsby is a bar bridge

4D199E64-4615-4B12-A5B6-6E8759DF27B4.jpeg

and a Telly loves this piece of art:

082F68CD-369B-49FE-8727-0C2927333C8E.jpeg

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

First rule of buying stuff.
    Buy the Best , Cry once.

Damitboy and stefanhotrod like this.
  11. davenumber2

With the compensated saddles it’s pretty darn spot on to my ears.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  12. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

Because money grow on trees, you know... :twisted:

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

One of the things I find ironic about the 'Quality' around the Tele stamped bridges is some of those 'cheap Chinese' bridges have smoothly stamped corners while the 'high quality' Fender have wrinkles and ears in the corners.

Wrinkling comes about from poor stamping die control (the clamp/hold down plate lets too much material slide in instead of controlled stretching) and the ears are due to anisotropic raw material -- where prior cold rolling/lack of annealing causes the sheet to stretch differently cross-wise than along the mill rolling direction. Hot rolling can soften the material for less issues in the stamping die, but is marketed as lower price because the end-result part is softer than the cold-rolled material work-hardened.

What I can see in this picture of the 'cheap Chinese' bridge are smooth corners, for $7.

I know some of the current stamping companies, MIA and import, both attempt to recreate all the vintage features of the 1950s bridge plates -- including purposefully matching the 'vintage wrinkling' -- which some buyers may think are important to 'magic tone'. My manufacturing experience is that any time I see wrinkling, the process was less than optimal.

Chrome coating can be another area of differences, good or bad.

All fun and games in the manufacturing and marketing of what is 'High Quality'.

Slowtwitch and BorderRadio like this.
  14. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

This forum is teaching me differently ;)

15. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

My Thinline kit arrived with a cheapo bridge plate which seemd to be perfectly acceptable quality. It's nicely chromed and the metal is tidily shaped.

I added a Chigsby to it because 1. The entire kit cost half as much a real bigsby, and 2. The cost of a real Bigsby is outrageous.

I'm delighted with the guitar. It looks great, intonates well and stays in tune. My only gripe with the Chigsby was the plating. It was a tad garish, so I flattened it a little with 1500 wet/dry and it looks fabulous.

bender66, preactor and BorderRadio like this.
  16. davenumber2

Beautiful guitar.

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Though innumerable posters claim that cheap parts, clones, and copies work as well or better than more original or higher-end production, that is not my experience nor do I believe it to be true. There is no doubt that some inexpensive parts and guitars are in fact finely made and work well. When you find those, great. Most are not that good, and generalizing that they are is misleading. The bridge shown in the OP is obviously not a great piece of hardware for a Bigsby setup. And Bigsbys aren't exactly brilliant, well-engineered designs even when produced by the original manufacturer. A "better" Bigsby would in fact be a different kind of design with a similar action, because Bigsbys are fundamentally flawed pieces of amateur engineering. So back to the OP: no, I haven't and don't use cheap parts like that. I can get good used parts cheaply with minimal effort. No, I don't think Chinese Bigsby copies are as good as true Bigsbys, but I avoid Bigsbys to begin with because they are never better than clunky and mediocre even when you work with the real thing. Good luck with your project. It's not something I would pursue, at least that way. But that's just me.

Damitboy likes this.
  18. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

19. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I suspect that's what I'll end up doing as well, glad to see how it turned out on your guitar, looks great

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

I don't believe this. Proof?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.