Cheap Champ from China? Joyo / Fame JTA-05

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by engineer, Apr 3, 2016.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've got a birthday coming up so we'll see...

I ask because apparently it sounds better that way, and in fact that capacitor IS stock for a 5f1! Back in the day, they all had that cap, apparently. It's just that there's a mistake on the published schematic.

2. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

(Late to the party, but...) Cool thread. I'm gonna file this in the back of my head

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

You're actually was heard several decades earlier on a Bob Wills album.

4. drumbl

drumbl TDPRI Member

hi, I bought jta-05 since I'm a huge champ fan but I can't afford the original. So I changed the rectifier tube for 5YA and I added a capacitor in C7 slot. But I wonder is that capacitor 22uF/25V accurate? I mean, does the new RI champs have that capacitor?
    What else I can do to make it sound like the original?

5. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

what other names do these little amps fall under online for sale? was trying to check them out but found little about them

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I got a B stock Fame earlier this year for £130, free delivery from DV247. They still have stock, but not as cheap since only brand new ones available at the moment.

I used mine last night at an open mic and had to turn it down(!). I've swapped the rectifier for a 5Y3 for earlier breakup (due to lower voltage) and also put a Tung Sol in the 12AX7 slot. I can't say I could hear any difference with either mod...maybe does break up at slightly lower volumes than before, but still has to be quite loud for home playing to do it.

I was going to build a Champ clone, but this was such an easy option and I can still do some mods to it later, even swap the PCB for a turret board version or maybe swap the cab for a Tweed one. It'll still work out cheaper than a DIY amp and (put back to standard) I'd probably get more for it if sold since I doubt I could give away a DIY amp round where I live.

Fame amp.jpg

Note for UK buyers: They come with a European plug on them, hence the adaptor I was using in the picture: I've since wired a proper UK plug on.

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.