1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap but still safe portable spray booth?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by TheOutlaw, Jan 19, 2021.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

is there any such thing? Don't want to go crazy on something that would rarely get used.

In my brainstorming I came across indoor grow tents that seem like they may be a good option if there is a low budget ventilation fan setup that would work with them. They are pretty well sealed up and have built in passages to route ventilation hoses and cords.

I have a 2 story 24 x 24ft garage that isn't attached to my house but its my woodshop so probably too dusty. I was thinking maybe I could setup one of those tents outside while spraying for the day then drag it back in at night?

Am I over/under thinking this?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Temporary spray booth:

Get a roll of clear polyethylene sheeting, and make a sort of large shower stall in one corner of your garage. Cover the two walls with the sheeting and have two curtains hanging from the ceiling. Staple the bottom of one to a piece of 2x4 resting on the floor to keep it in place. The other curtain is attached to the ceiling and has a smaller 1x2 stapled to the bottom near the floor to act as a weight and serve as the door to enter and exit. Wear a good quality respirator. It doesn't have to be large or airtight, but should have sufficient room for a stand or overhead hook that holds the work as you spray. Tape a piece down to the floor too. Clear packing tape works well for this job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HUSKY-10-ft-x-100-ft-Clear-2-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-RS210-100C/202184044

stepvan and JuneauMike like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think you are on the right track. You could also build a spray booth out of PVC and visquine, use a fan on one of the panels to vent the fumes and overspray away and out of the booth. Really simple stuff for a one-off project.

I used my wife's greenhouse to do mine (ignore all the bickering, apparently that's pretty common among paint people. Go figure). If I did it all again, I'd build a bench-top paint booth using less of everything and an old box fan turned down nice and low.

4. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

My main worry out there is dust. I have a crazy dust collection system but there is still always a layer of dust on everything

I'm currently setup so pvc pipe carries dust from tools to a "super dust deputy" cyclone and passes through on its way to the monster dual canister grizzly dust collector. The SDD does so well that nothing seems to make it to the grizz unless the 55gal drum on the SDD is full. Yet dust everywhere.....

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I built a backing "booth" out of cardboard, namely an old guitar shipping box. All I was trying to do was collect the overspray and not let it get all over the garage

IMG_0235.JPG

Worked fine until I decided I didn't like shooting the instrument hanging and started doing them on their back or top. In that case I put them on a low table which allows me to walk around shooting either towards or away from the sides as needed. I just take the table outside on a nice warm day - lacquer dries so fast I rarely get any dust in it.

IMG_6200.JPG

A friend does have a full on automobile sized booth that I can use but I would have to drive up to his shop, do fifteen minutes of spraying, go home, come back an hour later and shoot another coat. Its just too much of a hassle for the small advantages of a real booth.

Deeve likes this.
  6. Tferg

Tferg TDPRI Member

If I can paint a vintage Porsche 911 inside my two car garage in a pvc and plastic sheet booth with two household fans in windows and get a great result then I think anything is possible. I was very careful about being dust free and taking other precautions but it’s not rocket science. My first effort too.

richiek65 and old wrench like this.
  7. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I have a small (7' x 9') greenhouse set up in a bay inside my pole barn. Here it is set up out side temporarily. You can see where my fan gets placed in the front there; sorry I don't have a better pic of my box fan setup. It uses a wood frame with a "face" on it like a picture frame on each side of the canvas wall. I think it cost about $100 at the local BiMart store, which is the biggest drawback. But after all the paint jobs I've had sabotaged by box elder bugs and/or flies, spiders, and such, I feel it's worth it.

IMG_20191116_112415665_HDR.jpg

My biggest concern was evacuating fumes. If you pull fresh air in, and don't use a spark or flame proof fan, you run the risk of the fumes/fan creating an explosion as the fumes move past the fan. I have a fan setup that pushes filtered fresh air from outside in (uses 2 furnace filters). I leave one of the screened windows open to allow air (fumes) out. I was a bit nervous about having the air "sucked out" by the particular cheap box fan I use. While my cousin has used a fan like mine to draw the fumes out for years, I didn't wanna take that chance, hence the hoops I jump thru......

gimmeatele likes this.
  8. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Also when using this method it pays to sweep first and with a garden hose dampen the floor of the spray area to keep the residual dust from being kicked/blown up and settling on the surface being painted/lacquered.

JuneauMike and Peegoo like this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Go to a busy electrical shop and beg a refrigerator carton. I used to use one just sitting on two saw horses until it got wet and sagged. They are also easy to whack in a hole for an extractor fan etc. These days I seem to mainly do French Polish finishes which are good, but time consuming with the number of coats that require rubbing, but easy to get a nice finish.

I make my own shellac so reasonably cost effective as well!

DC

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.