Cheap but quality tube amps that will be collectors one day?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by KeepItSimpleTele, Feb 19, 2020.

1. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Either way, I'm tickled pink with it! Thanks!

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I vote with None Of The Above, at least off the original list. Agree that vintage Ampeg Geminis & Reverborockets may have some upside, as well as vintage Traynors. I have an English-made Orange Rocker 30 that might have some room to move except that it's all beat to hell. JCM 800 combos? except they ain't cheap.

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Dr Z ,old buddas, victoria, old matchless and badcat all have a chance-but likely will hold value more than gain. The cheap amps with their pcb mounted jacks and tubes much less likely to hold up much less be rare enough to be desirable.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I know of one but i'm not going to list it because I want to get another without having to pay an inflated price for it. I don't think it will go up enough to just buy it for the sake of turning a profit.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Re: Valve Junior:

Funny you mention that. I looked into the Marshall Class 5. Seems to me it's a Valve Junior in a party dress.

Class 5 good news:
    It sure is pretty! Looks like a proper Marshall.

Class 5 bad news:

Beauty is skin deep. Ugly goes all the way to the bone. It's not horrible but it's not built anywhere near as well as a 1970s or 1980s Marshall.

Hassle Number One:

The chassis holes are punched oversized for the PC mounted tube sockets. Sockets connect to the main PC with ribbon cables. If we were to modify it to "boutique" status the first step would be an adapter plate to mount chassis mounted tube sockets to a chassis that wasn't designed for them.

The circuit is o.k.. Marshall has built "master volume" amps for forty years. Why no master volume on the Class 5? Sure, we can add one. I usually try to work around a stock control panel. Drilling holes for extra controls typically de- values an amp.

If it was built a little better and it had an FX loop it would be the amp to have. I reckon the Studio 20 was in the pipeline when Marshall released the Class 5. The Studio 20 has a master volume and an FX loop.

I figure buy what you want, buy what you like and enjoy it.

I figure manufacturers are building a lot of crappy tube amps to satisfy the demand for cheap tube amps.

Look into the collector market for Yugos and old Renault Alliance automobiles.

I guess they have a miniscule, frugal and deeply disturbed following.

:)

Me, I've developed a sentimental fondness for pre- 1980 Peavey amps lately. I don't think they'll have a collector following any time soon. They're a cheap cure for GAS. I drove down to Boson a few weeks ago to pick up a fifty buck Peavey. I came home with two. Paid for one, the other was free. Still, it's a beat- up circa 1980 classic that probably still works.

Monoprice?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I were going to "invest" in a vintage amp I'd look at vintage solid state. I have no use for vintage JC120s. They still do what they do. They still turn up cheap.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. muchxs

Wait. Wait! I got it!

Joyo.

Those will be worth dough millions of years from now when aliens come here to mine our landfills for copper and lead.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LuthRavin and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

:D No I haven't played the monoprice.

At the risk of inflating the price, even $10 bucks more would annoy me.:)

The Joyo sweet baby 5f1 clone is a great deal that I think will be sought after in years to come, not because it's collectable or unique but because it's the cheapest way to get that style amp and it's bound to go up as everything else does. I cant get the speaker, tubes and chassis delivered for the price the assembled amp goes for here.

It's already $30 bucks dearer than I paid for one a month ago on sale.:D

8. muchxs

Looked for one on eBay. I guess I missed the boat on those.

No regrets! Takes me twenty minutes to knock out a 5F1 tag board by hand on a drill press. Couple hundred U.S. buys me a Mojotone chassis and Classic Tone transformers. I have tubes rolling around on every flat surface. I need to change the bag on the Hoover every time I Hoover the carpet. It clogs up with resistors.

:D :D :D

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

I paid $132 US delivered for one last month. New in box. I think they go for a bit more over there. A Mojotone kit costs me something like $1k AU delivered.

I bought a 5f1 turret board for $25 bucks and might swap the printed board in the joyo out for it and put it in this bee box tweed deluxe sized cab with 2x8" speakers and also make a 12" baffle for it too so I have some flexibility.

20200219_203443.jpg

I plan to buy another one and cut the stock cab down into a head and re tolex it.

10. KeepItSimpleTele

KeepItSimpleTele TDPRI Member

Baaaaaaaahahhaa. This is so true!

11. KeepItSimpleTele

For real though...these amps are going for more used now than they sold for new! Call me foolish, but I’d add these to the list!

12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Collectors? No way. The nature of these amps -- cheaply mass produced -- makes them undesirable as collectors' pieces. That's not a knock on the amps, which deliver exactly what you would expect and no more, but it is a knock on the notion of "collectability." There are unexpected trends and fads, sure, but cheap stuff made in incredible volume is not going to be collectible. It's everywhere already. It's also good but not great, in terms of performance.

13. KeepItSimpleTele

The classic Peavey series just has a good solid reputation with gigging musicians I guess. I’ve noticed the amount of “good deals” on these Peavey amps becoming harder and harder to find :(

14. KeepItSimpleTele

I guess I just keep thinking about my Traynor collection. People said 15 yrs ago they were landfill and nobody wanted them. People modded the hell out of them. Eventually their low cost, high build quality, and some underground forum love got these going on the market. I could buy a mid 70s Traynor YBA-1 for $100 CAD in ‘05(basically a hand wired point to point Marshall JTM45 or Fender Tweed Bassman circuit with massive Hammond transformers). Now they are regularly $900 plus in Canada!

That’s a 9x return on investment on gear I use anyways. Like it’s paying me back!

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably the Pawn Shop series to be cult. The Excelsior is surprisingly good and tweakable. The Greta is too with a better speaker. And they're PCB but good old fashioned ones with thick board that doesn't flex and chassis mount standard size components. Even the cabs are not badly made if cheap wood.

Bikersluggo and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know that Traynors will ever be really collectible but some individual models definitely make the cut for solid performers.

As always - draw a distinction, like 70s-80s Ibanez are collectibles and usable. Not collectible like a 60s Tele. Some like the Bob Weir or Rhodes models yes. Roadsters not so much. Hold value, not increase much

Some Marshalls like JCM800s will remain workhorse/moderate improvers but not actually really big dollars. Jubilees yes to a degree because Frudciante/Slash/Bonamassa.

There will definitely be amps like some Mesas, some Marshalls and others like Victorias and US Matchless and Black Cats that will keep gradually appreciating. Rarity and celeb association does that.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently the Genz Benz Black Pearl would have been agreat investment a few years ago.
    Might be too far around the collector curve to be a good investment now.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pignose g40v

19. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Black Heart Little Giant 5 watt head. I'll add the 15 watt Blackheart Handsome Devil head, too. I own one of each and they really are excellent.

stevemc and televillian like this.
  20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I keep saying this because it's true.
    All it takes to kill a cheap newer amps is one good wack on the knobs. The pots are mounted only to the printed board. Often the jacks are too.
    The fix is easy, just buy a new board and drop it in. Exept if you can get one it'll cost almost as much as the whole amp. If the amps been out of production any length of time that options off the table. By the time a tech pulls it apart and tries to fix it you're probably better off buying a new one. The little flimsy potentiometers they use can't take much abuse and are often really hard to source replacements for.
    They do it that way and get away with it for two reasons. One people don't want to spend any money on amps today. Look at a price sheet for Fenders in the '50s or '60s and plug the prices into an inflation calculator. They weren't cheap! Even without doing the calculations the prices then are often higher than cheap amps now.
    The other reason is few people gig anymore. Amps that sit in living rooms don't need to be built like old Twin Reverbs or '70s Peaveys. Those things you could just about tie on the back bumper and drag to a gig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.