Cheap "beater" OD pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have a great amp, great pedalboard with several killer dirt boxes. I also have a "beater" amp(which I feel sounds quite good), a 90's Roland Blues Cube BC30 with a Weber speaker. Id like to add a cheaper OD pedal, under $50 New or used. I play blues and rock with teles and strats. Recommendations???

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss OD-3 used

Biyang Mad Driver

3. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Bad Monkey? Lots of well priced TS variants out there that would suit blues/rock. The Joyo Vintage OD gets a lot of love, too.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Used Rat 2.

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

...and / thread! :D

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

You can buy all kinds of great overdrive pedals for 50 or less, particularly used. Many good Boss pedals, EH, Digitech, DOD, MXR, and on and on. Bad Monkey is a good TS style.

8. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

The "Bad Monkey" fits the bill, but don't forget about the "Screamin' Blues" by the same company, it's based on the Blues Driver and is also priced under $50. Both of these Digitech pedals will take a heck of a beating and they sound great...the added bass control means you can dial it in exactly to compliment any guitar/amp combo.
    JMHO

9. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

SD-1.

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Thanks, keep them coming. The BC30 does have a crunch channel, but I dont love it, and matching clean and crunch channel volume is tough. I like my clean channel ever so slightly dirty, and the dirty channel a touch louder than the clean, and the amp controls makes that difficult. A pedal in front of the clean just makes sense. I dont need high gain, but medium gain thats dialable down to low would be nice.

11. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I've now bought most of the Eno overdrive and distortion line, including clones of the Crunch Box, OCD, Rat, TS-9, and Big Muff. All can be purchased new for around $25-30 if you shop carefully. I'm evaluating them to determine which ones to keep and which (if any) to sell, but so far I'm quite impressed with all of them.

The Eno Crunch Box clone is perhaps my least favorite; it's good, but limited compared with the others. The TS-9 clone is pretty good on its own, and very nice when stacked with the Rat or OCD. So far I think my favorite might be the Rat clone. I've read many posts on this forum and elsewhere praising the Rat for its versatility, which I think gave me the impression that perhaps it would produce a number of OK sounds but not necessarily any great ones. This view turned out to be quite mistaken; it produces very good low- and medium-gain tones, as well as the sort of all-out high-gain distortion that I seldom if ever use. Judicious use of the filter along with higher gain settings can even produce a convincing fuzz tone. I'd have no reservations about recommending the Eno Rat clone for someone who needs only an overdrive.

For low-gain, I also have a Mooer Blues Crab, which I like, but unfortunately it can no longer be found new for under $50, as far as I know.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  12. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

These two are the first that came to my mind as well! They make up two out of three of the dirt pedals I have on my band board at the moment. Great value and just all around great pedals.

13. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Indeed.

Bad Monkey as well. You could also look at the Joyo pedals.

14. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I have a Joyo Vintage Overdrive and like it well enough. It will do until my playing improves to the level where a better pedal will be justified.

15. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Danelectro Transparent Overdrive. Dirt cheap even buying new. Version 1 was supposedly a Timmy clone. I have version 2 and like it well enough, but I don't use it any more because I have two quite different one-off ODs made by a very clever friend of mine that just nail overdriven amp tones.

16. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Danelectro FAB Distortion- don't let the name fool you, on lower gain settings it's a great overdrive. And sells for $15 NEW!

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Lower Gain; Joyo Sweet Baby/about $30

Moderate Gain; Joyo Ultimate drive/about $30

The Sweet Baby is a clone of a Mad Professor Sweet Honey and the Ultimate Drive is a clone of the Fulltone OCD. Both are a bargain for $30. Quiet running and great sounding.

PS: I'm running both through a BC 60.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I plugged my pedalboard into the BC30 to test. Pedal is the way to go. I got an old FD2, a Fat Boost 3, and an EQD Hoof Reaper on the board now. Out of the 4 flavors of dirt, the FD2 sounded best, so a cheap decent TS variant should be fine.

19. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Joyo Ultimate Drive is pretty good for the money.

20. Snake Danger

Snake Danger TDPRI Member

Bad Monkey FTW. I've had mine for 2 years and I love it. Besides, it's Phil X approved and it doesn't get more badass than that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.