Cheap bass for guitar player

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by KC, Nov 15, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Washburn XB-100. I had two but gave one to a friend for his son to play. Normally they have a P-bass pickup only, I modded this one with two Jazz pickups and a Strat 5-way switch for the usual mayhem. It gets really down low when I want it. 'been workin' on the Quack though ;)

I got this one for $40 and the Jazz pickups were $6 each. The other one I got for $35 and a free Strat-like-object with it, that after a fret level it does as well as my MIM.

Washburn is made by Samick which makes 80% of the import guitars for everyone. So other brands you might grab are probably Samick-made too.

[​IMG]

Royal Blood plays Bass as a lead guitar using an octave (up) pedal.

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

If I may be so bold, I went into the shop last fall 100% certain I was going to buy a Squier Bronco bass. The guitar guru, a friend of my cousin, gently suggested that I maybe spend a few bucks more on an entry-level Ibanez. I picked it up, plugged it in, and was immediately hooked...I've never had a guitar draw me in and make me want to play it as much as that Ibanez. To this day, I have a hard time putting it down! It's wonderful in its simplicity; 1 pickup and 2 knobs. To compare the Ibanez to the Bronco is night and day...Yes, the Bronc is brash and loud, cool in its own right, but I couldn't shake the cheap feeling. The Ibanez felt completely different; it felt like an instrument over a toy, it felt warm and powerful.

elihu likes this.
  3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Rondo music. Looks just like a Fender. 200 dollars. And great quality. ursa2rnctashna5.jpg ursa2mncashna5.jpg ursa2ctmnash3ts5.jpg

Omiewise65 and Believer like this.
  4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I just picked a TMB-100 (because of the recommendations here) and so far I’m happy. It arrived set up perfectly - plays very easy (important for a non-bassist) and perfectly intonated. Sounds very good (to my old ears). Only issue is the saddle on the E string rattles, but that can be fixed easily.

elihu likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Squier Bass VI.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

SX used to be a stupid good deal for your money...not sure about today?

7. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

They used to be all over guitar shops, don't see them anywhere now..

8. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

for my money, it's either the yamaha trbx, or the Ibanez soundgear, for $199. both solid instruments, with a a PJ setup.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Get the Digitech Drop! It will make any of your guitars sound like a bass!

10. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I love my cheap Indonesian made Hofner Violin bass. They are surprisingly well made and have that sound which may or may not suit your musical style. I wanted to get away from the typical Fender punch for a rounder plumby sound that sits really well especially with acoustic guitar/drum mixes.

Definitely worth auditioning and should be available used within your budget.......I'd recommend costing in a set of LaBella flats to complete the vibe.

ndcaster likes this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

went with the Squier VM Jaguar SS, had a short scale bass a while ago & thought it recorded well, will report when it gets here. The TMB was a close second. thanks, fellas, for all your help.

Dismalhead, jsp737, screefer and 2 others like this.
  12. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

13. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Every guitar player should have a bass. I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short-Scale and enjoyed noodling on it. I got the itch to learn to play fretless and was planning on pulling the frets, but then found an Ibanez SR370EF at a local shop and they offered me a great trade-in for the Squier, so I upgraded. I had to start learning to play long-scale, which has affected my muscle memory; I picked up a guitar and tried to fret the headstock. I really like tape-wound strings and the active EQ of the Ibanez can make the bass sound wildly different. I learned the hard way you can't leave them plugged in!

14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Good choice - truth be told all basses sound pretty much fine unless you're doing something fancy and unusual with them. For a root-5 thing with an occasional walkdown in a rock or country context, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between a $150 Basswood Squier and a 5k Petrified Koa Sadowski. And I say that as a Lakland owner....

Omiewise65, Peltogyne and screefer like this.
  15. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Cant beat a squier bass! Can be had for cheap and work well.

screefer and KelvinS1965 like this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I just did a deal with a friend of mine to buy his old Squier Precision bass. I already had a P style bass, but it was a very cheap 1980s no name model and I'd left it in my loft for 15 years...it is now like a banana, with action measured in inches not mm. :cry:

Only had chance for a decent play of the Squier tonight and did some recording direct into a multitracker I have...sounds great (well the tone I mean as my playing needs more practice). I lowered the action a touch and set the intonation up, now it's spot on. I'm sure more expensive ones might be nicer to play, but this will certainly do for me.

Ripradiant likes this.
  17. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Consider a used Yamaha BB of some kind. Many do great Fender tones and the quality is very high for the dollar. Used they can be pretty cheap. My BB415 is a killer PJ bass.

18. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Indonesia. Bought mine shipped w case for $225 used on Reverb.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the same bass. How do you like it? IMO it is the ultimate "guitarist's" bass.

I swapped out the pickups for a used '05 American P-Bass pickup ($30 on EBay) and a Fender stacked-humbucker Jazz Bass pickup that I got for another $30 on closeout. Sounds TONS better now; holds up fine side-by-side with high end basses.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.