Cheap acoustic???

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by lineboat, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Go with an Art and Lutherie! You won't regret it!

I have the legacy concert in Bourbon burst. It's the guitar that finally brought me over to the world of acoustic!

lineboat likes this.
  2. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I recently visited my local NYC Guitar center and played every guitar on hand for $400 or less. The last one I picked up was this Mitchell - a GC brand I believe - thinking since I tried all the others I ought to try it out. I was shocked at how good it sounded for $300. Not quite as good as the Taylor Big Baby (about $400), but pretty close. Sounded way better than all the Fender models and others - more balanced, less trebly. Plus, quilted burl ash. Never heard of such wood being used for acoustic guitars. Bought one for my daughter.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitche...OIH3SkmNmWVrArKFUZ2cExs0F1fIE3gBoCElsQAvD_BwE

lineboat likes this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Good for you, there is no substitute for playing a bunch with an open mind.

lineboat likes this.
  4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That’s the one I keep looking at!

My dad has a Mitchell for a long time. It was a great guitar, but I have no idea what happened to it. His desire to play has kind of fell off since a table saw incident.....

5. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Who wants to walk.......... with ELIAS?????

(WWE wrestler Elias used to use that same Mitchell on TV, he would order two
    of them before every show to be delivered to the town they were performing
    in- he recently changed to Fender acoustics for some reason).

They must be sturdy, because after he played his song he often cracked his
    opponent over the head with it.

lineboat likes this.
  6. Steve Holt

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/need-s...xpensive-decent-acoustic.939715/#post-9000336

Here's a lengthier review I wrote up last time I offered my two cents. If it doesn't take you straight to it, I'm post number 6. It is just such a sweet guitar for the money. I got mine from a shop on Reverb that was offering 15% off and free shipping. And as a fellow lover of the classic series 50s strats you know you you have to take my word for it ;)

lineboat likes this.
  7. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I'd say Ibanez as well.

lineboat likes this.
  8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

You KNOW I’ll take your word for it!
    If only they had that neck carve....

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Small(er) body, a/e, cutaway, $400-$600 range? You are describing a Breedlove Concert CE. If you're not familiar with Breedlove's Concert size, here are the dimensions: lower bout, 15”; waist, 9”; upper bout, 11-1/4”; depth, 3-3/4". It's very close to a Martin 000 or OM. Martin doesn't state the width of their guitars at the waist, but I'm betting they're comparable to Breedlove's Concert. The upper and lower bout measurements are the same, and the depths are comparable.

I own two Breedloves, one a dread, the other a Concert CE. Mine are older models from discontinued series, the Passport Plus (Concert CE on the left and in second pic) and the Atlas series (dread on the right). Both were made in Korea. I bought the Atlas dread in August of 2008 as NOS, after the model had been discontinued, for $550. The Passport Plus Concert CE I bought used for $350 with hard shell case in 2016.
    My Breedloves - 1.jpg My new Breedlove Passport Plus C250SBe - 1.jpg

Practically every time I go into the acoustic guitar room at my local GC, I'll pick up a Breedlove Concert CE. I don't recall ever playing a bad one.

Well, let me qualify that last statement. Breedlove's current entry level line of acoustics is their Discovery series, the next step up is the Pursuit line, followed by the Pursuit Exotic (comparable to the MiK Passport Plus line). I've played a Discovery series Concert at my local GC that I felt was on a par with the Pursuit series models, but a couple of other Discovery models that weren't.

The Discovery series Concerts are in the $400 range, the Pursuits, $500. I think most of the Pursuit Exotics are out of your price range, though at least one of them is $600. The Pursuit Exotic models use exotic woods like Koa or Striped ebony for the laminate back & sides, and they all have LR Baggs EAS electronics.

navigate40, Blackbird86 and lineboat like this.
  10. Steve Holt

Did you ever decide on anything?

lineboat likes this.
  11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I bought the A&L parlor guitar. 12 fret, really good sounding guitar. It’s probably not a keeper though. I can’t get used to the 12 fret thing. I wish I’d bought one like yours.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  12. Steve Holt

That's pretty cool. I've had my eye on the parlors too, but I feel like it would be too similar to mine. But you say it plays nice? I think they have a pretty cool sound!

lineboat likes this.
  13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Yes sir, plays real nice. The neck is AWESOME! There’s quite a bit of difference in the tone of this one and my other acoustics. It has a lot of midrange, and is a lot louder than I expected. It’ll easily overpower my little OM Guild.

14. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

That's funny, It really is how it feels to the player! I had an ibanez A/E and wanted to love but it just wasn't happening ended up with an Alvarez Grand Auditorium - Love it!

On the inexpensive side for the OP - I had an olympia by tacoma that played well and sound nice and my nephew has a Bristol - which apparently is made by blueridge - that was short money and sounds great!

15. Blackbird86

Blackbird86 TDPRI Member

My beater acoustic guitar is a breedlove discovery. Bought it used for like $180 from guitar center. Im happy with the purchase. Very low action and have had no problems

16. Telegnosis

Telegnosis Tele-Meister

Whatever you decide is the model and price range, best to play as many of that particular model before expecting the "one they sent you" is going to make you happy.

Guitars are like people, they may look the same but they all sound and act different.

Buying a guitar online is like snagging a mail order bride. Best to meet and greet your betrothed in person!

[​IMG]

17. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

Brought home one of these - https://www.washburn.com/product/ag40ce/

haven't put down all day, except just to to sign in and post :)

Sounds great into the focusrite and JBL monitors too!

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Aw, shoot, to hit the highs, I got a mandolin. Seagull has one at a nice price!

lineboat likes this.
  19. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’ve considered one of those! That would be another instrument to learn, but a mandolin definitely has a place in my heart. It may be worth it!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I started by accident. A friend asked me if I wanted to buy a mando. I said no. She said fifty dollars. I said yes.

Now that one's gone and I have two fancier ones. Most important thing to remember: When you're hanging around serious mando players, never ever refer to the things as "little guitars"!

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.