1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Gbinge, Oct 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gbinge

Gbinge TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Im thinkin I'm either gonna go with a smaller sized Martin. The ones that are 3/4 sized. Or I'll get a cheaper one (100$-200$) used and get it set up all nice a pretty lol

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an Epiphone Inspired by 64 Texan. It's a little bit more at about $400 new, but the solid spruce top and solid mahogany back makes a big difference. The Achilles heel is the tuners. Other than that, great player and it's a cannon. I was jamming downstairs on the couch the other day unplugged and the wife called down for me to turn it down a couple notches.

savofenno likes this.
  3. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

My #1 acoustic is my Crafter D7. It sounds and plays very nice and needed no setting up out of the box. They are very underrated in my location so prices are good.
    Hth

4. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was shocked at how nice my Fender CD140SCE was when when I first played it and then bought it. $300. But it is an acoustic / electric and you may be looking for an acoustic?

savofenno likes this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I was looking for the same thing you are about two weeks ago. Budget was $300. I did my research and Yamaha FS830 and Recording King EZ-Tone Plus 000 were on the list. Then I went to GC and decided I much preferred the Yamaha FG800 (at $199) over the FS830 and I thought the Recording King neck was too much of a baseball bat for me. As I wandered around trying other sub $300 guitars by Fender, Epiphone and others (FYI, I hated the Epi Hummingbird -- sounded terrible to me). Finally, I found a used Epi EJ200-EC with a solid top for $299 (with case). I fell in love (a bit more of a C-shape neck than the others) and that was it (even at $439 new they are a bargain, IMO). I had really wanted a 000 size, but you just never know what will catch your fancy.

zosofan likes this.
  6. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

I will also recommend the Epiphone EL-00 Pro.
    I purchased the one with solid Mahogany top and laminated mahogany back and sides. It's a perfect size for messing and playing da blues.
    Mine has opened up finally and sounds exactly like a J-45!
    Well in mind at least.
    It's very comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

savofenno likes this.
  7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I've been dragging an old solid cedar topped S6 Seagull around for years. Extreme heat and cold, it's never let me down. Seagulls are hard to beat!

savofenno and 6stringcowboy like this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Solid top Yamaha FG700s. $199 everywhere. Great guitars

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

There are plenty of good acoustics available these days, so I go on looks and performance rather than name or reputation; I trust my ears. The thing I look at first on acoustics, often before I play them, is neck angle. That is, will there be plenty of saddle (at least 1/16") still showing after I have lowered the action to where I like it? Neck angles vary a lot, even in expensive guitars.

savofenno likes this.
  10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Seagull. I've had 3 different Seagulls, 2 S6s and 1 S12. Beautiful, great sounding/playing, and affordable.

Lots of great suggestions here. Play a bunch of guitars, enjoy the hunt. :)

11. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

Alvarez parlor AP70 fits your budget and is a good little travel companion.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I'd get a used guitar. More for the money.

But if you want a new North American-made guitar, Art & Lutherie and Seagull are both decent builds for nice prices.

cb
    www.thefullertons.net
    ( •)—:::

Sent on my nose whistle

13. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Yamaha FG 335 is a heck of a good one to get if you are patient enough to find one that doesn't need a neck reset.

14. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Yes, always check neck angle on any acoustic guitar, new or used - but the risk of bad neck angle is greater in inexpensive used guitars. It isn't just Yamaha.

savofenno likes this.
  15. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I have a Seagull S-6 cutaway. Cedar top, cherrywood back/sides, and maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard. They have tusq compensated bridge and nut. Purchased $250 used and won't be selling it. Love the tone.
    Also, have read good things about Recording King guitars.
    Would also recommend trying out different guitars and getting the one that speaks to you...if you haven't already.

16. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I had a Seagull S6 Slim. It sounded GREAT, but even though I love a 1.69" nut width, I could never get used to the Seagull's 1.72" nut.

17. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

This is the best advice.

savofenno likes this.
  18. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Add the Jasmine S34C to your list of things to try. You might wind up like me, not missing the solid board top it doesn't have, and shocked at how good a Indonesian-made plywood box that retails for under $100.00, street, can sound and play.

I'm biased, though. I got my first one because I was looking for a "beater" I could play the campfire, travel around with, and not care too much about if it got lost, damaged, or stolen. I got my first one from Amazon Prime for $70.00 and liked it so much I bought another later that same evening that my first one arrived. Everything I wanted was there -tone, even volume and sustain response up, down, and across the board, rock-solid tuning stability, and playing comfort. I now own a bunch of the things and use them both for recording and live performance. If they didn't work for me for those things, I'd get something else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.