1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheap Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Gbinge, Oct 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gbinge

Gbinge TDPRI Member

So I have a nice acoustic guitar that was passed down to me from my uncle. I love it. Its what I learned on. But I don't want to play it like I play now lol I want another one I can take with me to places and just kinda mess around with. And I don't wanna spend to much money on something that I can potentially mess up lol
    Any Suggestions????

2. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

How cheap? $300-$400 will get you a Recording King. Nice guitars.

savofenno likes this.
  3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Recording Kings are nice, also the Epiphone EL 00 Pro is nice

Gary

savofenno and zosofan like this.
  4. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

Yamhas are good too but since you know how to play and know what a good acoustic feels and sounds like you'll be able to evaluate them best by playing some. Grab as many as you can at a store that are at a price point you are comfortable with and you'll know the one for you. Id also try a few at a slightly higher price point then you'll know which ones to look for on the used market if you're comfortable with that.

In general if it has a solid wood top, good tuners, a sound you like and a feel you like any guitar should serve you well. Their are countless other variables (wood types, body styles, neck dimensions, electronics) that you'll fill in with some research and playtime to narrow down your search.

Happy hunting.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

If you're into blues, the Epi EL-00 Pro is really impressive.

savofenno likes this.
  6. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

+1
    Big box stores aren't entirely evil...if you're looking to spend between $70 and a thousand or so go to the acoustic room at a GC and wail away...if your budget is in the thousands you might have to go to a more specialized store, but what is the mystery? Try and buy I think...

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Try the new Yamaha FG series. Even the cheapest has a solid top and now has scalloped bracing, unlike its predecessor. I've owned and played Yamaha acoustics since my first (FG180) in 1968. You really can't go wrong.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Gbinge likes this.
  8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

How cheap are we talking? Fender's CD60 was the gold standard of cheap acoustic in the shop I worked in a few years ago...that would set you back somewhere around $200 and came with a really nice gig bag.

9. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I have a Morgan Monroe 32, 00 blues-sized acoustic. I did a "low-action" setup on it, nut, bridge, truss rod, new strings and it is pretty nice. My buddy, who deals in acoustic guitars and never keeps one over 6 months loved it. It's loud enough.
    Big bonus, too....it has SS frets. Heavy-handed, I have been wailing on it for 6 months or so and you can't see any wear.
    Another bonus, they come with a hard case.
    In the $300 range.
    I also play a Gibson J45 and Ovation USA Balladeer.

Gbinge likes this.
  10. Gbinge

Gbinge TDPRI Member

Im lookin under 300 but will spend a little extra if I like it lol

11. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Loads of good choices out there. Three bills might put you in a used Seagull. Nice guitars.
    As others have said, a solid top is a must, as far as I'm concerned.
    Also, as is the case with inexpensive guitars, electric or acoustic, a good setup is paramount. We live in an era of very nicely made inexpensive guitars. (I remember when I started playing and inexpensive guitars were pretty good for slicing cheese and no amount of work got them to play well.)
    They can be set up to play nicely and sound good. Either buy from a shop that does acoustic set ups and knows what they're doing, or, if you know how to do it yourself, handle it yourself. Check out Frank Ford's frets.com for a wealth of information about setting up acoustics and whatnot.

lineboat, midnight340 and Gbinge like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Get any guitar under $100 and then pay (or do yourself) a fret level and crown on it with a full setup of new strings. It will play like a much more expensive guitar but no one will want to steal it (seems what you are after with the question) or you won't feel bad if it gets squashed traveling.

13. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I made my choice awhile back, the Martin LX1. Small solid top that sounds better as it ages. Birch laminate neck so no worries there along with the HPL sides and back so dents and dings aren't so emotional. It's small with a good gig bag. I know I sound like I work in Martins PR department (I don't) but this is what I take when I go somewhere.
    If fate were to turn against me and I was force to be outside Walmart's parking lot with a cardboard sign, this is the guitar I would be playing.
    LX1.jpg

14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Seagull for a full dreadnought, Art & Luthrie Ami Parlor for a small body.

lineboat likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yamaha, all the way, had my original one for, FG340, for years, just gets better.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

On the other hand...............................do you get Faith in the States? I bought one last year when I wanted something with a good 'top end' and have not been disappointed. Check out their website, designed in the UK put together under careful quality control in Indonesia.

17. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I've got a '74-'75 Alvarez I got new and have managed to keep it fairly ding free considering the play it gets. I'm understandably attached to it and it would kill me if I took it out and something happened to it, so, I can understand wanting to keep your uncle's at home.
    Speaking from experience, since everyone has vastly different tastes and expectations, you just have to go out and look, handle, play, and listen to every acoustic guitar you have time to look at. Only you know what will satisfy your needs.
    I will say I never picked up a Chinese made Gianinni or Jay Turser that I would take home for kindling (sorry if anyone else loves theirs).

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

That's another great option...get a used guitar then have it professionally set up.

19. Dongotto

Dongotto Tele-Meister

The Recording King are nice guitars. I love the little parlor size dirty 30 they make. You can pick them up for under 2 bills.

savofenno likes this.
  20. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

I think the Ibanez Artwoods are a great value and they sound great. You can get used ones for 100-200$.

savofenno likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.