Cheap 12" Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!

I have an Eminence Allesandro SC64 that is acting up in my Swart AST. It's a tight fit and wonder if there is simply some interference involved or other issue....

I don't need a great cabinet just one to drop a speaker in to check.

Been scouring CL for a beat cabinet but nothing yet....

Thanks!

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don't know where your mark in the sand for "cheap" is, but I purchased a couple of these Seismic cabinets over the holidays and thought them pretty nice.

https://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/collections/empty-guitar-cabinets

Alternatively, this Harley Benton 1x12 would run ~$100usd shipped...you could pull the speaker out of it.

https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g112.htm?o=4&search=1579552433

Also, try the second hand stores/Goodwill/Habitat, etc...I picked up a little 30w combo amp a month or so ago for $25. If you found one with a 12", you could use it to test your speaker. (Pawn shops too, but their prices around here a bit high)). Happy Hunting!

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Do you have an amp you could connect to that speaker leaving it in the Swart cab? That would confirm if it's the Swart speaker relationship that's the issue.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I found a mint loaded Blackstar ht 1x12 cab for $100 bucks used. That's cheap for AU where everything it over the top expensive. They should be around half that price over there.

5. Texicaster

Thanks guys!

I'm about done with thrift stores and CL..... Guess I'll have to figure out something tough....

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you have the box the speaker came in? If so, fashion a piece of cardboard with a cutout to use a a ‘front mount baffle’ to lay on top of the box. You will need a piece of speaker Cale from the amp with clips on the speaker end. Place the speaker on top of that box and give it a run. This will allow you to hear the speaker to note any faults it might have.
    Some speaker boxes come with an insert that when inverted provide a perfect quick mount speaker box for tests such as these. I make sure I keep those boxes handy......they are older Eminence boxes.

Texicaster likes this.
  7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The place to look is your local music store, even GC.

Every music store everywhere eventually accumulates dead amps they can't sell. Don't ask me how I know but they're generally happy to give 'em away.

For example I have a small Line 6 that's useless to me and repugnant in every way. Except... it's still an amp shaped object and I can still bolt a 12" speaker in it.

Got a Peavey Windsor that's made of Kryptonite and depleted black holes with a single Blue Marvel. It's ridiculously heavy but again, it's still useful as an extension speaker.

Texicaster and Wally like this.
  8. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

$119 with the current 20% off, free shipping.

5BD900F6-3220-4D88-A899-C507D55D406A.png

Dennyf likes this.
  9. Texicaster

Thanks!

I guess it's gonna get $100 out of my pocket any which way...maybe I should pony up for a real one...

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, my method or muchxs’ suggestion are almost cost free.???? If you can use an actual extension speaker, then buy a good one. I never put $100 into something that is just going to hold a speaker for a quick test. Ommv....

Texicaster likes this.
  11. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, there's always low end stuff on there for super cheap. You could even buy a cheap practice amp and just use the box. That's the road I'm probably going to take on my next amp build.

12. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I scored a home made 1x12 cab there from a guy a while back for $30. It was just plywood nailed together, but it works fine for testing.

drewcp likes this.
  13. Texicaster

I totally missed your post! Thanks for the suggestion!

I could be cool to have an extension cab but I can't imagine why at the moment. There's a guy on Ebay that slaps together pine cabinets with staples for ~$100.....

Dang I miss my wood shop.....15 years ago I coulda whipped out some nice finger jointed boxes in an hour or two....out of scrap...

Wally likes this.
  14. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

depends on your budget. the Siesmic Audio stuff is pretty good for the money but G.C. has a used Harley Benton 2x12 Cab locally in my area for $125. check online with them it still may be availible

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought an empty vehicle 10" bass box called EBox from Walmart for about $20. As I recall they had 12" as well. I got it based upon someone here's suggestion and it is pretty darn good. Might want to check Walmart online.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.