1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

chassis drawing need, anyone ?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Wckr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Wckr

Wckr TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I'm new(bie) on this forum, so at the begining I wanna say hello.

Some time ago I decided to build ~50W 6L6 powerd amp (I've got some experience in amp building), I want simple 1ch amp, based upon fender reverbs and Dumble (clean section) with reverb (to get SRV tone) , I've got nearly all needed parts (PT,OT,Choke, Reverb transformer,tuebs etc) but I'm stuck with chassis. Most of you will say that I coul order it, but getting one is too much for me. I have opportunity to order custom made chassis (1.5mm steel) and it will cost me 5x less than I would have to pay for example at mojo. I think about Dumble or Fender style chassis, but the problem is that I cannot get anywhere chassis drawing, with measures, holes sizes etc. anyone could help me ?

2. Wckr

Wckr TDPRI Member

Ok, I've got weber chassis drawing, anyone got faceplate (BF) drawings ?

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

You could cut/drill an aluminum chassis/box easier than steel and it'd cost less than ordering a one-off.

Since you don't want to order a chassis with matching faceplates from a different amp/kit and use that, you may want to talk to a local sign and/or print shop. You can have them print a faceplate (metal, plastic, or whatever). You may have to drill it before installation though.

Here's a few photos of my recent 50w 6L6 based build. You can see how cutting/drilling an aluminum box yourself may be an easy option (got my blank chassis from Turretboards.com):

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-brothers-diy-amps/171501-2-channel-combo-build.html#post1955763

4. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

If you are willing to forgo a traditional chassis, there many ways to go about it.

I use 1/4"/6mm Aluminum plate I buy surplus off Ebay. the ends of the plate fit into slots in the cabinet. I can ether bolt "L" bracket for front and rear to hold controls and jacks, or use 1/8"/3mm plate that can be screwed into the edges of the main chassis plate. Buying off Ebay, a chassis costs me less then $20 and it is very strong.

5. Wckr

Wckr TDPRI Member

Yeah, I will order faceplate in local shop, currently my little problem is to recalculate chassis distances to metric, I mean, I know that 1 in = 2,54 cm, but when you recalculate, you've some ugly numbers, and there could be some problem with drilling such holes, so I have to round numbers, but it still must be close enought, to make it look as close to original as possible, when I'll have chassis, I will be able to order faceplate (and I will have to check once again distances, because it will be drilled by men, not a CNC, althought I've got good opinions about these people, the could be some slight difference, and the faceplate will be done by some machines, so you understand why it is so important for me, it wouldn't be good if there would be for example 2-3mm difference between faceplate and chassis)

Ordering already prepared chassis with face plate would be ofc. simple, and I would do that if it weren't for the costs, it would be 3 times dearly (and getting chassis from I usually take, costs ~15$ ; )

btw. nice project

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.