Chasing our tails

THX1123

Tele-Holic
I believe there is such a thing as objectively good choices, and therefore objectively good tone. Taste may be subjective, but I would suggest developing mature taste based on experience, learning, and an open mind leads to better choices, and therefore what a majority of persons would agree is good tone. Being self-reflective, or asking yourself why you actually believe something, or believe something is good is not an easy skill to develop. You cannot buy this ability, or achieve it with better tools alone.

I also believe that purpose is important. Good tone to the bedroom player can be quite different to what a gigging musician or recording guitarist would consider good tone. Both are valid, but they have differing purposes. Both are arguably more dependent on the experience and learning the person has developed than on the tools they buy.

Many of us have met someone who raves about their gear and the journey they took to find good tone. You go over there and they plug in a beautiful $3K guitar through a vintage amp, and they sound way less than good. They arguably do not have the learning, experience, and therefore mature taste to use the tools they have chased. They have arguably made poor choices because they focused only on purchasing tools, not learning to use them, or asking themselves why they believe what they do.

Some people like McDonalds more than steak. This does not make McDonalds objectively better. Some people like pron more than love. This does not make the objective value of love diminish. Some people will drown a $40 steak in ketchup without hesitation and tell you how amazing it is.

Consuming only McD's and pron will arguably probably never lead to truly mature taste. This is arguably true regardless of how many words one types on a computer that assert that one cannot be wrong because everything is subjective. Please consider this as an analogy and not an attack on anyone.

I also believe there's a use for deliberately bad choices. A terrible old cheap guitar with no truss rod from 1972 with strings like a cheesecutter through a Gorilla with a 6" speaker might be a good choice for something. Likewise, if I am severely sodium-deficient then perhaps McDonalds is a good choice.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Maybe I’m somehow defective.

I do not seek a single holy grail toan tone.

If anything, I’ll prefer a polyglot bonanza of many different aural experiences. That’s why knobs, etc.

If I chase anything, it’s experiences.

Of course, you don’t have to buy the entire universe to just be a part of it.

A little bit can go a long way. But I like figuring out stuff in the learning process.

I like to play guitar. It’s not really overly complicated. I’m happy to have my own point of view.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
The tone I love for myself is a clean, single coil through my 60 watt amp, with some reverb/delay. For my acoustic, I love a deep, gutsy kind of tone, and plugged into an amp specifically for acoustics, I put some light chorus and a little reverb, and my acoustic sounds even better that it does unplugged.

P.S. I'm terrible trying to describe tone, so if anything I just said makes absolutely no sense I'm sorry

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
I rmemeber I think 6-10 years ago who knows some guy was playing in a band with a Klon on his board, down in Georgia. I thought it was one of the best tones I had ever heard. I knew about a Klon over 13 years ago when Nels Cline told me personally about it and back then it was pretty damn unknown and easily attainable. After the Gerogia gig I told the guy how good his tone was and he pointed to the projector, like a literal projector for 8mm films onto a screen or something? That had tubes and he said he was playing through that not the Klon. I dont know it was a long time ago but I always thought about that.

I am 100% chasing my tail with tone, someitmes learning but who knows. Life is pasisng by.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
I’m may be rare here , but I’m very content with my home for a long time now. I have a great acoustic,
And when I’m playing electric I just go straight into a reverb pedal and then the amp.that’s all I need .
I would like to get a 5 watt amp for low volume dirty sounds . My current rig is 17 watts . So I guess that’s the last thing on my hunt , for now
Which reverb pedal

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
By the way "blue steel" strings which are cryogenically frozen are incredible.

As is my platinum Mogami.

But im sure ill see a musicans playing a show tonight on on some coated strings through a piece of felt for a guitar cable and it will sounds good who knows.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I’m not looking for a tone. I’m looking for a spark. If it doesn’t make me want to keep playing or inspire me, it’s useless. I sure as ___ don’t need that violin tone people seem to like. It does nothing for me. Gimme some attitude, snarl, dynamics…I’ll play.
I got the Eddie tone from my Marshall a couple of times. I don’t play like that. Got the Kossoff tone, too. Holding barre chords is not that interesting to me. I’m not (and don’t want to be) Robben Ford or Holdsworth or…

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i've played a lot of guitars, amps, and pedals. i have a general idea of how most things will respond in my hands, or how they work electronically, and how to work what i want out of them. that saves me a lot of time/money/effort. i get into fancies ("maybe it would be cool to have X to do X") but i don't go on wild goose chases.

a topology or a style of guitar is like a dish. it's a general idea and the selection/proportions of ingredients will vary the outcome. there are plenty of examples that differ slightly, but register perceptually as equally good or practically the same thing.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Cranked Orange head, Big Muff in front of it, hand me an SG tuned down to C or B standard and we're good to go. My little secret is to turn the tone knob down a bit for some extra muddiness. Pretty generic stoner/doom/sludge tone but there's absolutely nothing better in my opinion. Scratches my tone itch every single time without fail.

Unless I'm playing death metal, that's a completely different story.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Which reverb pedal
I had the dispatch master by earthquaker. But unbelievably I left it in a case with a guitar that I traded , and the guitar store kept it , after I found out about it a month later - it was gone. Shame on me …. So now I’m using a cheaper electro- harmonic Holygrail reverb.which is just ok. I want to get a really good one though

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well as Groucho Marx said about 90 years ago,

"I knew a girl from the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area.
She was known as the Tail of Two Cities..."

not pc, shoot me and Groucho, and Charles Dickens.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
After the Gerogia gig I told the guy how good his tone was and he pointed to the projector, like a literal projector for 8mm films onto a screen or something? That had tubes and he said he was playing through that not the Klon.
I have an old Ampro movie projector, matching the Ampro speaker cabinet that seems ubiquitous. I looked at the amp design and it seems to be "ultra-linear" (it has a couple extra taps on the output transformer) so I never bothered to try it out for guitar.

I’m not (and don’t want to be) Robben Ford or Holdsworth or…
I DO want to be Robben Ford, for all the good that desire does.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I strive for the middle way. It’s important to enjoy your own tone, you play your best when you do. But it’s easy to get lost, spend a lot of time and money fiddling with that small little gap at the end of the spectrum.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I strive for the middle way. It’s important to enjoy your own tone, you play your best when you do. But it’s easy to get lost, spend a lot of time and money fiddling with that small little gap at the end of the spectrum.
Yes, but…. That small little gap at the end of the spectrum can be the pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow. I found it. Read post #1. It’s in the strings.