Chased out of our rehearsal/performance place by...

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I get them in our bathroom now and again.
Certain members of my family feel the need to open the sash window fully after one of my visits and the bats chase the moths in through the window.

Fortunately they've never roosted in our house because they're a protected species but I'm more than happy to see them around at night.

I'm looking to mount some more bat boxes around here to see if it will increase their numbers because they eat their bodyweight in midges/mozzies every day.

I currently have a stoat/weasel running around my attic, we had the pest control guy round this morning. The loft insulation now smells like a tour bus.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
1660234349288.png

I was just gonna post this formal portrait w/o comment, but it turns out the article it came from was pretty good -
such as
[paraphrasing]>small mammals are generally short-lived, but there's a bat that can live 41 years<
(spoiler alert - hibernation superstar)

Dean Martin voice ON "Don't let the stars get in your eyes, don't let a bat get in your hair" DM voice OFF

Last edited:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Bats are notorious carriers of rabies, up to 10% are infected, and the vast majority of human rabies infections (in the US at least) are from bats.

They usually recommend you get a rabies treatment if you have physical contact with the animal. You’re obviously not going to die or get messed up so long as you get treated, but the treatment is multiple sessions and absurdly expensive, so a lot of insurance policies (in the US at least) stick you with hefty out of pocket costs.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
There are never just one bat...never. They are actually a big problem when they get inside a building for the damage they do, the histoplasmosis potential in the droppings, and since they are federally protected you can't just shoot them. Well, not legally anyway.

I used to work with a guy named the "Bat Man" who made quite a living out of getting rid of bats and cleaning out their droppings from buildings. He used bat traps to capture them, but you have to find where they are getting into the building to win.

You are looking at a night work and some investigation. I have a co-worker right now dealing with an infestation of about 5 of them in his attic. I don't think the guy has slept in a week.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Did it actually chase and try to attack you or did it just make itself known and you ran like scared rabbits? Also ..... are you part of a modern metal band? :)

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
The best way to catch a bat is to use very specialized equipment. An orange road cone and a clipboard work great… cone covers the bat when he lands, then clipboard goes underneath. At the post office, They’d fly into the open roll top door and we would use a broom to hustle them into the union steward’s office. Then leave a note on the door.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Years ago a woman called into a gardening show I was listening to. She was calling to complain that she couldn’t use her back yard because of her “bat problem.” Apparently he yard was full of them. She was hoping to find out how to get rid of them.

She said that one almost flew into her hair! When she was told that it was probably eating a mosquito that was about to bite her, she wasn’t happy. The host of the show then went on to explain the many benefits of having bats, and explained that many folks would love to have her “problem.”

In frustration for not getting the answer she wanted, she finally said “So are you really telling me that bats are a GOOD thing!?”

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
Have my ex-mother in law show up. No ordinary bat could compete with her.

However, you may want to leave things as is in retrospect.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
For the nature lovers and tequila lovers, this is a very interesting piece and a very interesting guy: