Chased out of our rehearsal/performance place by...

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
A bat.

Seemed like a bigger than "normal" one, too.

He was in there (an old church we rehabbed) this evening when I returned after a supper and nap break. He hadn't been there when I locked it all up around 7 pm. To let him escape, I opened the big front doors all the way, admired his zipping and tilting skills from the sidewalk, and he finally came out. I closed the doors again, and the windows all are well-screened or shut. All well.

But later, while winding down, I was laying on my back playing, enjoying the delay pedal's dramas in the big arched room. And ZIP, Zwap, flip--brown wings again. I shut off the amp, pulled my shirt over my head, tried not to yodel, grabbed my phone and computer, and skedaddled.

I admire his skills and don't begrudge him existing, but unless he's bringing groupies, I need to keep him out. We've got shows in the works in there. And irrational or not, I like my flying vampires when they're outside. Or if they're clearly marked "Law Offices of...."

So any advice about de-batting an old church? It's small, never had an attic, and, as I said, closed up unless I'm opening its doors. So how's he getting in?

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A bat.

Seemed like a bigger than "normal" one, too.

He was in there (an old church we rehabbed) this evening when I returned after a supper and nap break. He hadn't been there when I locked it all up around 7 pm. To let him escape, I opened the big front doors all the way, admired his zipping and tilting skills from the sidewalk, and he finally came out. I closed the doors again, and the windows all are well-screened or shut. All well.

But later, while winding down, I was laying on my back playing, enjoying the delay pedal's dramas in the big arched room. And ZIP, Zwap, flip--brown wings again. I shut off the amp, pulled my shirt over my head, tried not to yodel, grabbed my phone and computer, and skedaddled.

I admire his skills and don't begrudge him existing, but unless he's bringing groupies, I need to keep him out. We've got shows in the works in there. And irrational or not, I like my flying vampires when they're outside. Or if they're clearly marked "Law Offices of...."

So any advice about de-batting an old church? It's small, never had an attic, and, as I said, closed up unless I'm opening its doors. So how's he getting in?
there is more than one of them , the good thing os there wont be any flying insects in the church LOL
Vampire bats are tiny and live in south america , the problem with bats is , they could carry some deseases like rabbies no different than say deer mice etc ,

hang a bright light out side the church at night when the bugs are accumulate the bats will come out to eat them close the doors of the church once they are outside unless they have an entrance like a hole in the wall to get in

suthol

Friend of Leo's
This little guy lives in the toilet at the beach shack, no way of keeping it out.

I scared it moving some surfboards and he moved into the shower for a bit, he/she is the size of an adult mouse

Attachments

• 20220615_125837.jpg
    20220615_125837.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 20

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Can I just say ewwwwwwww!! Bats give me the creeps.

There‘s a bat house on campus at the University of Florida. They built it as a habitat for bats who were inhabiting a nearby structure on site.

Good luck in getting them out of the church.

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
I was living out in New River, Arizona, back in the early 90's, there was one that would spend his days hanging off the rafters in my tool shed. I would poke him in the nose with my finger. He'd scrunch up his little face like "yo, leave me alone". He was very cute.
Those Arizona bats were migratory, they were around in the summer, and spent their winters down in Mexico.
There was an old mine shaft up on the mountain side across the valley from me, that wintered hundreds of them.
Bats are cool.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
The church where my dad preached had a bat or two. On occasion, a bat would fly around in the sanctuary during Sunday night services.

The stately old building was deemed to have faulty bracing somewhere in its structure, so it had to be demolished and a new modern brick structure built. I was at school when the demolition happened, so I didn't get to see if any bats flew out and away.

The new cookie-cutter t-shaped building didn't have bats.

Buell

Tele-Holic
You've got more that one bat in the place and they are getting in thru the tiniest of openings. They aren't going to harm you but the droppings will start to rot the ceiling and it smells like, well, you know. Like radtz said, you could always call Ozzy.