1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Charvel Joe Duplantier sig. model

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TeleinTX, Nov 25, 2020.

1. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I couldn't find a Charvel thread, so......

I've never played a Charvel. But when Gojira's Joe Duplantier came out with his sig. US model in this satin grey color, I was stoked. They also have an import one (like ESP's LTDs) in white, and this year they came out with one in brown that looks like poop. Has anyone played one of these? All I know about Charvel is that they name so many of their guitars "San Dimas", I guess that's their name for their Tele knock-offs?

This is the Charvel-USA signature model from several years ago. I think they originally listed for $2400, but I've seen them on Reverb for as little as $1400.
    [​IMG]

The import version, I think Indonesian, around $600+ new
    [​IMG]

This is just butt-ugly..........and they list for $899? No way, Jose.....that is just fugly......The pick guard reminds me of those Gibson double cut Les Paul, Jr's that came out a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

Gojira is amazing. This is probably the best sounding and looking show I've ever seen on YT. If you're hooked up to a big screen with big sound, set this puppy at 1080p or higher. You will not regret it. Amazing band from France. The first metal band I've seen in years with no members having tattoos, and a bassist who can't stop smiling from ear to ear, both things very "un-metal" which is great for a twisted freak like me. There are people that are happy with their job and life.....and there there is Gojira's bassist. I categorize them as Progressive metal. At one time they fell under the "Death Metal" mantra, but they're so much more than that. Joe D uses EVH amps. One of the best in the heavy rock/metal world, for sure

The crowd in Poland was amazing. Very few had cell phones/cameras like the shows in the US. Well worth the watch. Cheers

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I really like the look of the import indo.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice looking guitar.

With Charvel the name "San Dimas" refers to the location of the original shop/factory in the 1970s/early 1980s in San Dimas California. So it's a reference to models that are somewhat reminiscent of the original ones that the company was making when they were still located in San Dimas - specifically the general neck shape.

For what it's worth here's the "Cliff Notes" of the history of Charvel - later Charvel/Jackson:
    1. Wayne Charvel owns a repair shop in San Dimas. He starts out manufacturing some repair parts like jack plates, eventually tremolos and a few other things.
    2. By circa 1976-77 Wayne has hired Grover Jackson; at some point Wayne can't pay Grover's salary so Grover becomes a partner in the company, owning as much as 30% of it. Wayne also connects with International Sales Associates (ISA), the company that also owns Schecter Guitar Research at that time, to sell his parts. Wayne takes loans from ISA to purchase equipment including a pin router to make bodies and necks - but Wayne never turns it on
    3. Circa 1978 - ISA comes calling for their loan; Wayne had set the company up as a proprietorship instead of a corporation, so technically ISA could take Wayne's house if he can't pay the loan back. Grover Jackson "buys out" Wayne by assuming the debt, but Grover is able to take out bank loans to pay off ISA.
    4. While all this is happening Van Halen hits big with their first album; Eddie touts Wayne's shop and parts in interviews so Charvel is primed to take off as a company, even though his friend Wayne no longer owns the company by the end of 1978
    5. Charvel starts making bodies and necks in-house under Grover Jackson in early 1979; through the Van Halen connection they begin to take off as company
    6. Circa late 1980/early 1981 Randy Rhoads comes to Grover to have him make a guitar using neck through construction; Grover, not wanting to potentially tarnish the Charvel brand that is really taking off puts the name "Jackson" on the white offset V guitar he makes for Randy. Randy and Grover later revise it to the shark-fin shape we now know as the Rhoads model
    7. 1983 - the company is now known as Charvel/Jackson as they make both Charvels (bolt-neck) and Jacksons (neck through) in San Dimas; getting a cease and desist from Fender the Charvels now have the same pointy headstock as the Jacksons
    8. Circa 1985 - Charvel/Jackson is so far back ordered that they need a new factory; Grover takes on partners who run an import/export business out of Fort Worth, TX
    9. 1986 - the company is now called "Jackson/Charvel"; all USA models are branded "Jackson" (both bolt neck and neck-through) and "Charvel" becomes their MIJ import line. The company moves into a new USA factory in Ontario, California
    10. Circa 1991/92/93 Grover Jackson is out of the company; start of MIJ Jackson Pro series, beginning of a stronger focus to the Jackson brand over the Charvel brand
    11. Circa mid-90s - Jackson/Charvel acquired by Japanese owners (Akai I think); continued marginalizing of Charvel to focus on the Jackson brand - but the Charvel name will come back on some USA-made models called "San Dimas" in the mid-late 90s
    12. 2002 - Fender (well FMIC) acquires Jackson/Charvel and separates them into 2 companies, putting them on the path to their current separate model lines.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.