Charles Bukowski reads live

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got me some Love is a Dog from Hell and Women under my bed. Pull one out from time to time.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I read a lot of his stuff before I fully became a man .

Sooooooo much of that guy’s allure/hero worship/romance comes from hipster dudes who didn’t have a dad exactly like him.

A woman-abusing epic drunk . Yep. Been there. (Yawn)

could he write ?

Sure. But so could a lot of other people.

Tell a tale ? Sure , but just because his brain was mush doesn’t mean he couldn’t embellish/invent stuff out of whole cloth. Was he really telling his life’s tale ?

Want a writer who lived a real life, did his fair share of drinking but was way more than just that ?

And, a far, far superior writer ?

Jim Harrison. You’re welcome .

85050811-8FBD-4743-B9E4-C4A579ADE993.jpeg

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My takeaway from Bukowski was that this was a man who had a soul-crushing job sorting mail all day, but still found time to be a professional drunk and prolific writer as well. Post Office is one of the most inspiring books I ever read- this was years before I heard the phrase time management.

5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

When I first started college I had an English professor who asked me if I would like to meet Charles Bukowski. I only knew him from a column he wrote for the LA Free Press called " Notes on a Dirty Old Man. It was a kind of stream of consciousness thing he wrote and I enjoyed it. So my professor took me to this bar and we shot pool with Charles. I was really too young to even be in this bar but nobody seemed to notice. Charles was trying to hook up with this woman in the bar who was wearing a very revealing green dress but she wasn't having it. Later he wrote a poem called " the Green Gazelle that Got Away" about this. Years later when I was going to another school Charles was giving a poetry reading and I went to see him. I went up to say hello but I wasn't sure if he remembered me or not. He seemed to have his mind on something else. He had a six pack of tall Buds that he drank while reading his poems and when he finished the six pack he said " I gotta go now" and that was it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.