Charles Bukowski reads live

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Got me some Love is a Dog from Hell and Women under my bed. Pull one out from time to time.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I read a lot of his stuff before I fully became a man .

Sooooooo much of that guy’s allure/hero worship/romance comes from hipster dudes who didn’t have a dad exactly like him.

A woman-abusing epic drunk . Yep. Been there. (Yawn)

could he write ?

Sure. But so could a lot of other people.

Tell a tale ? Sure , but just because his brain was mush doesn’t mean he couldn’t embellish/invent stuff out of whole cloth. Was he really telling his life’s tale ?

Want a writer who lived a real life, did his fair share of drinking but was way more than just that ?

And, a far, far superior writer ?

Jim Harrison. You’re welcome .

85050811-8FBD-4743-B9E4-C4A579ADE993.jpeg

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My takeaway from Bukowski was that this was a man who had a soul-crushing job sorting mail all day, but still found time to be a professional drunk and prolific writer as well. Post Office is one of the most inspiring books I ever read- this was years before I heard the phrase time management.

5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

When I first started college I had an English professor who asked me if I would like to meet Charles Bukowski. I only knew him from a column he wrote for the LA Free Press called " Notes on a Dirty Old Man. It was a kind of stream of consciousness thing he wrote and I enjoyed it. So my professor took me to this bar and we shot pool with Charles. I was really too young to even be in this bar but nobody seemed to notice. Charles was trying to hook up with this woman in the bar who was wearing a very revealing green dress but she wasn't having it. Later he wrote a poem called " the Green Gazelle that Got Away" about this. Years later when I was going to another school Charles was giving a poetry reading and I went to see him. I went up to say hello but I wasn't sure if he remembered me or not. He seemed to have his mind on something else. He had a six pack of tall Buds that he drank while reading his poems and when he finished the six pack he said " I gotta go now" and that was it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.