1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

charging for free plans on Ebay....

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jrjrdiablo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. jrjrdiablo

jrjrdiablo TDPRI Member

I appreciate it. I plan on contacting Ebay about this.
    It looks like all the other plans he is selling are in the same boat as well.
    I guess I was just floored that someone wanted to sell these plans...I guess its a compliment in a way, LOL.

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Some people will do anything to make money, even if it is on the hairy edges of being illegal. I was going to write a question to the seller asking why they were selling plans that are available from the creator for free, but figured they would just delete the question.

Please let us know what happens.

3. jrjrdiablo

jrjrdiablo TDPRI Member

Will do, I appreciate the support.
    I apologize for ranting about this...it just kind of bewildered me when I ran across the listings, while just browsing on ebay.

Boreas and John Nicholas like this.
  4. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Under each item in ebay there is a "Report Item" link. Reasons for the report include Copyright, and Price gouging. If is something is free and they are charging without adding value I think that qualifies.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Here's what I would do:

Go into your original artwork and put a copyright date on each image that reflects when you first made the plans available online. Not 2021.

Then take your case to eBay. Do not contact the seller directly.

This goober selling your stuff will not counter with "there was no copyright info" because you and he know he also removed your Website/email address info.

And you can prove your images were accessible online before he started selling them.

Freekmagnet, John Nicholas and Boreas like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just filed a complaint with eBay. FWIW, you can also contact the dude and try to shame him directly.

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Or you could list your plans for sale on eBay using nearly identical words in the title. Any search will pull up your plans whenever a search hits his. Charge only $0.25 for the plans. That will end his business selling your plans at least.

If you still feel funny about charging for your plans, you could always donate the money. There are plenty of displaced musicians these days, and depression is a killer.

Freekmagnet, John Nicholas and RogerC like this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I have some plans that I have posted here and elsewhere under a CC license that allows them to be sold (CC BY-SA) because God knows I'm too lazy to sell them myself, and they probably wouldn't be too popular anyway. But they are also licensed with Attribution, which means that any derivative works must attribute me as the original. These are legally actionable licenses also, e.g. if I found somebody who erased my name and/or the licensing, I could send them a DMCA takedown and/or outright sue them.
    There are CC licenses that disallow commercial use if you so choose (the "NC" in CC BY-NC)

John Nicholas likes this.
  9. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Can you change or take down the link so he’s selling access to nowhere? That’ll get his attention.

Boreas likes this.
  10. jrjrdiablo

jrjrdiablo TDPRI Member

No idea what link he is using. Probably a Dropbox or whatever is free out there.
    I'm going to start putting information on my drawings about ownership & not selling them, etc.
    I enjoy getting free information myself, so Im not going to start charging for information I create.
    Communities like this didnt exist in 1989 when I started. So getting any sort of info is good, esp the free kind.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Boreas

That was my original thought. Where does his potential customer (doesn't look like he has sold many) actually get the download from? If they are coming from the OP's own site, how can the plans be altered to remove his name? Wouldn't the vendor have to have created his own copies without the proper attribution, then used these to distribute to his customers? If he is simply supplying the link to the OP's original free site, wouldn't the buyers be downloading the originals with the proper attributions? It would seem to me if the OP took down his download links, the vendor still must have ALTERED digital copies. Or is my thinking incorrect?

Last nite I went to the seller's eBay site and looked at his customer activity. Near as I can tell, he has only sold one plan in the last 3 months, and only shows ~30 transactions under his current moniker.

DonM likes this.
  12. jrjrdiablo

jrjrdiablo TDPRI Member

I'm thinking he probably has these uploaded to a free Dropbox account or something like that.
    He probably went into the pdf and put a white box over my email address...then saved the pdf with this revision.

My thought is...why charge $17. That's a weird odd amount. Haha
    I thought they'd be worth more than that. jk

Sometime in the future I am going to revise all these plans Ive made & put the proper documentation on them to take care of this in the future.
    I'd rather people be able to use this information for free. I enjoy the free info I get, so its my way of giving back.

DonM and Boreas like this.
  13. Boreas

Another thing you can do to cheaply protect images and documents is to add a watermark. Very hard to remove. I used to add a watermark to all of my images when I was an eBay seller.

WTR00006.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    SRHmusic likes this.
  14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I'm not a law-talkin'-guy, but I thought just publishing an original work granted you a copyright of sorts, and if you have evidence of the first publishing of that intellectual property, you can defend that copyright. Aren't there any rich lawyers (who buy up all the cool amps and guitars) on this board who can weigh in on this?

15. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 Tele-Meister

Not sure if it's been stated yet, but you can also mail yourself a copy of plans and that will give you essentially a federally stamped date code. Back in the day, when I was touring with a band, we would mail a copy of our EPs to ourselves for that reason. Good luck with all this. I know you must be frustrated.

16. jrjrdiablo

jrjrdiablo TDPRI Member

I think someone here already flagged them on ebay.
    We'll see how it goes. I'll flag them myself as well.
    Just bizarre way to make a buck. Im losing hope in humanity...haha

John Nicholas and Asmith like this.
  17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The link I posted above includes the form and instructions to register for a copyright. My 80 year old father in law did this a few years back for a song he wrote. It was pretty easy, just filled in the form and sent it with a copy of the song. That's good way to prove the date.

Edit: from the link below its $45 for one work, and $60 additional for up to 50 more in one application. Not real cheap, but I suppose doable. Not sure if there's an easier way, but it is free to at least add the (c) date, name to any document to perhaps warn people off.
    https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html

18. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

You don't need to register your work or put anything on the work to have copyright in the USA. Registering does make it easier to prove that you own the rights, though. And it would serve as proof the people at the copyright office thought it was original enough to merit protection (which might be an issue here, given the work is a reverse-engineered blueprint of someone else's protected work).

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/how-to-copyright-technical-drawings

What a CC license does is waive some of your rights if you want to do so. By default, your work is yours and no one can use it (fair use exceptions, etc) without your permission. By publishing under a CC license, you're allowing other people to use your work in certain circumstances. Of course, because you can register your license with CC, you also do get a paper trail to prove you have owned (or thought you did, at least) the rights to something from the date of registration, at least.

I Am Not A Lawyer, of course, so take all of this with whatever amount of salt you feel is appropriate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.