Changing tele pickups

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
I'm looking at buying a tele with humbuckers in it and changing the pickups to single coils. Is there any problem with putting singles could in a tele body that's routed for humbuckers?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm looking at buying a tele with humbuckers in it and changing the pickups to single coils. Is there any problem with putting singles could in a tele body that's routed for humbuckers?
Like @eclecticsynergy said above, you'll need to replace pick guard to accommodate the neck p/up, and change the bridge plate for that p/up. If I loved the neck and the body wasn't too heavy, I would do that. If not, it's a lot of work for a guitar you might not enjoy. (get the right neck and body, and anything else can be changed)

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
More than the bridge plate, you'll have to route out the bridge pickup area to accommodate the size and shape of the humbucker. This is why for the bridge position you'd be best off going with a single sized humbucker like the Seymour Duncan lil'59 or something like that.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the info. I planned on changing the pick guard and bridge, just thought it might be having the oversized routes in the body the body.

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Other than tele's being a pain in the ass to change pickups on in general, it will work. You may need to route the bridge cavity a bit but it can be done.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
More than the bridge plate, you'll have to route out the bridge pickup area to accommodate the size and shape of the humbucker. This is why for the bridge position you'd be best off going with a single sized humbucker like the Seymour Duncan lil'59 or something like that.

He's going the opposite direction: It's a humbucker originally and he wants to put in a Tele single coil. He might have to do just a bit of routing for the baseplate, I think.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
It's just a really cool looking min fender tele, that I can buy cheap enough to mod. Its a Michael Kelly 1955 with a quilted maple top. It has a mini humbucker in the neck position and and full size humbucker in the bridge. Don't know much about the brand, but supposedly the fit and finish is good. Just not sure I'm gonna like the pickups. I'm a single coil guy.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Here it is. They go for $600.00 new. I can get it for $400.00. I can mod it if I need to and hopefully have a nice tele.

Attachments

• 00j0j_5Hg7mquYcZQz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_5Hg7mquYcZQz_07K0ak_600x450.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 51

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
If it's already routed for a humbucker, the cavity should be big enough to fit a Tele bridge pickup.
Not 100% certain but it seems likely.

Perhaps somebody else here can say for sure?

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Here it is. They go for $600.00 new. I can get it for $400.00. I can mod it if I need to and hopefully have a nice tele.
Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the mini hb in the neck, if you find it a bit wooly a firebird type pickup should fit right in. I have one in a Squier and ho boy..

naneek

Tele-Holic
someone did an excellent job answering this question for me a while ago, including pictures. I'd like to post a link to it.

too bad we can't look at a list of the threads we have created in our profiles anymore. I can't find it in when I click on "your content" in my profile.

maybe someone else can find it.

to summarize what I was told, it requires modification to the routes. if you wanted to mount a tele bridge pickup at the traditional angle, you would need to route out a substantial amount of material.

It fits better if you place the pickup straight across. but because of the angled triangular metal baseplate of the tele bridge pickup, it may still require a small adjustment to the route in order to fit the point of triangular baseplate.

j0Nasty5150

TDPRI Member
Plus, depending on the size of the humbucker route in the bridge position, a smaller vintage bridge "may" show some humbucker route on both sides... maybe?!

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
It's just a really cool looking min fender tele, that I can buy cheap enough to mod. Its a Michael Kelly 1955 with a quilted maple top. It has a mini humbucker in the neck position and and full size humbucker in the bridge. Don't know much about the brand, but supposedly the fit and finish is good. Just not sure I'm gonna like the pickups. I'm a single coil guy.
Humbucker sized p 90?

Don’t some pickup makers build a single coil in a humbucker form factor?