Changing strings

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
I've just changed mine. 15 minutes. That's pretty much a record for me, Inc putting away the old ones twisted together.

No matter how much I try, I can't do it any faster. I'm doubting that this is a world record, in fact perhaps you would let me know what a miserable attempt this is by letting me know how long it takes you.

If it makes any difference, it's a 1999 US standard with six individual saddles and normal posts, ie not split posts.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Probably about an hour and fifteen minutes for me: Similar time to fit them as you and give the frets a quick clean/buff, then the inevitable hour or so playing it afterwards as I love new strings. :) My Fenders are all split posts.

I can probably do my SG or LP in less than 15 minutes because they have locking tuners; I usually have a coffee on the go as I tend to do mine in the kitchen next to the coffee machine, so I don't treat it as a race, though now I'm doing jobs for other guitarists I suppose I need to keep an eye on timings to make sure I'm not working for nothing...

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I change mine often, and easily.
Working at music stores, pawn shops, and gigging often honed my restringing skills.
There are tricks and short cuts.
I once restrung a customer’s guitar is 6 minutes, she timed me.
Sometimes removing poorly installed strings takes more time than restringing.
Lots of people dread it, but like anything else, it gets easier with repetition.

Last edited:

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
Lots of people dread it, but like anything else, it gets easier with repetition.

You are spot on re practice. Although, I have to say, the 1999 tele I restrung was bought new by me and it's not my first guitar by many years. Perhaps I'll be a bit faster in another couple of decades. However, I wouldn't recommend anyone putting any money on it.

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
I've done 5 minutes. The big revelation for me was buying a string winder. Don't know how I was trying to manage before that.

I like split posts and locking tuners. The standard ones with sharp ends sticking out really peeve me off.
Blimey! So, is that 5 minutes after you have separated the new strings and clipped them to size, laid them out, and also after removing the old strings? Please say yes. My 15 minutes was including getting the old ones off, organising them and putting them away, getting the new ones out, separating them, feeding them through, clipping them to size, winding them and tidying up the clipped off bits of string.

I'm searching desperately for a reason why everyone else is so much faster. Perhaps I should just accept my ineptitude in this and add it to the list.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Blimey! So, is that 5 minutes after you have separated the new strings and clipped them to size, laid them out, and also after removing the old strings? Please say yes. My 15 minutes was including getting the old ones off, organising them and putting them away, getting the new ones out, separating them, feeding them through, clipping them to size, winding them and tidying up the clipped off bits of string.

I'm searching desperately for a reason why everyone else is so much faster. Perhaps I should just accept my ineptitude in this and add it to the list.
Ha, no, this is when I've needed to do a quick change at a rehearsal when I realised how bad the old ones were. I didn't tidy up anything at the time. The split posts helped.

I find it's one of those jobs that expands to fit the time available. If I have half an hour it'll take half an hour. If I need to get it done to join an impatient band, I'll get it done.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I recently bought a Martin 00015sm. I don’t know what I was thinking. After changing strings on a slotted head stock I’ll never complain again.

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I like changing strings. Despite doing it for almost 60 years, at least weekly, it takes about 15 minutes because I don't rush it. Great opportunity to wipe things down, inspect my fingerboard and frets, maybe clean the board. I make sure the strings are loaded properly, correct number of windings, locked and tight against each other, strings are completely stretched.

It's cathartic.

PS: If I have to change a broken string, it's about 1 minute if I don't stress.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
I've done 5 minutes. The big revelation for me was buying a string winder. Don't know how I was trying to manage before that.

I like split posts and locking tuners. The standard ones with sharp ends sticking out really peeve me off.

I hear you. I am still in the string winder-less situation, I hate changing strings just for this and haven't got that simple tool yet.
There is no reason, other than I am stupid.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
It takes around 20-30 minutes for me because I also clean the board, body, etc etc.

Once I had to re-polish my frets, check set up and all, took me 2 hours. Lol.

But if strictly changing strings, on a vintage tuner, fender 6-in-line style, i can do it 10minutes.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
I can do a set in about 5 minutes if I don't take time to clean and polish frets. This helps a lot!
IMG_2124.jpg

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
About a minute a string for BB - no rush!

BB King was just awesome. Sat on the doorsill of his limousine when I was 21, after a gig on a rainy evening in Newcastle, UK, and got his autograph. Still have it, stapled to his page in my copy of Ralph Denyer's Guitar Book.

Never seen anyone do this, though!!! Love it.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
What matters is doing it when necessary, and doing it well, no matter how long it takes, IMO.
With a good winder, cutter, and quality tuners, it’s easy.
Ilike locking tuners, for both tuning stability, and restringing ease.
Yup - a string-winder was a revelation for me. As was the tip of cutting the excess BEFORE you put the string on, rather than after, and just putting a single turn in and then tightening it. All looks much tidier, there's less slippage, and you avoid ten minutes of manually winding tuners!

That said, yes, do it right not fast, unless you're at a gig or something. And as others have said, I quite enjoy it, slow time. A cup of coffee, maybe some music on, and just commune with your guitar for a while, give it some TLC and take some time out. Cathartic, was @Paul G. 's word above. I'd go with that.