Changing preferences? Evolving with music and tastes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, Apr 6, 2020.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Anybody has experienced this?

I know it's a bit vague, let me clear it out..

I've been playing solid bodies for a while now, especially telecasters.. Stratocasters... mostly Fenders..

However, around end of last year, I've been leaning towards more jazz, and jazz boxes.. especially the ES-125 models..

now, to try and test myself, I did not get rid of my telecasters, because I thought, maybe, this is too shall pass, and it's all gas.. so I got a decent, affordable ES-125 copy to scratch the itch.. an Epiphone Sorrento..

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

but now, after playing it a while.. I'm trying to decide if I really should go for these guitars and abandon solid bodies? I know, I can play jazz, and I can play anything on a tele.. On the other hand, archtops has a certain old world feel and look to them, and also the tones I'm hearing are i feel more to what I'm preferring for now..

Ive run all scenarios.. save up, keep teles.. sell my number 1, keep my number 2 and get a new build from small but high quality japanese luthiers.. or sell everything and go for gold, get a vintage ES-125 instead..

These are guitars I'm considering:
    HAWK-JAZZ (full hollow) - custom build with P90s instead
    http://www.deviser.co.jp/seventyseven/product/hawk/jazz

HAWK-STD (Semi Hollow) - custom build with P90s instead
    http://www.deviser.co.jp/seventyseven/product/howk/std

or this, much cheaper, but made in Terada Japan Factory (Think Pro-Line Gretsch)
    https://reverb.com/item/11182160-ar...ew-brown-sunburst-incl-hardcase-made-in-japan

http://www.walkin.co.jp/guitars/290657.htm

Vintage ES-125s are so expensive though
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ES-125

I feel silly posting this.. but Im curious if anyone has felt similar? I feel like I'm getting old..

oh well.. Maybe its the isolation that makes me think too much.. I love telecasters still!!!

DrPepper, Fendereedo and tubelectron like this.
  2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

No, you’re not crazy or silly. I haven’t felt the need to change up guitars, but my preference has changed as far as sound. I’ve played off and on since I was about 19. I’m 45 now. Started out in punk rock. High gain. Palm muting. Fast chord changes. No solos. No lessons.

Now getting back into it, I’m looking for lower gain. And actually learning to play. I’m more interested in playing more mellow music and revisiting some of the country my dad listened to when I was younger.

By the way, nice looking guitar. Actually, maybe I have changed up guitars. I was always a Fender owner myself but currently have a Sterling Albert Lee model. Wasn’t familiar with Albert before, just thought it was a cool guitar. It’s actually the best guitar I’ve owned and I’ve had USA Strats. Also looking into getting a G&L Fallout.

jh

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

We all evolve. I'm playing cleaner than ever, no pedals, just Blues Junior overdrive from a maxed out amp. Also playing more blues based music and I notice occasional jazz runs creeping in. Think Matt Schofield or Robben Ford (but nowhere near as good). May be an age thing, maybe I've got better over the years and I'm thinking about my playing more, who knows. And yes, I'd love an arch top jazzer.
    Go for it.

Fendereedo and teletail like this.
  4. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it's more a growth experience rather than evolution/change. I grew up hearing my dad's big band/standards, and mom's love of country. Older siblings into R&R, especially Doo-Wop which I loved. All followed by the British invasion and delving deeper into the Blues when I was becoming a teen myself. All were additions to what I loved to listen to & learn to play, not something left behind for something new.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

The only kind of music on which I stick since I heard it in the early 70s is EM...

The only kind of music that really do not speak to me is the Metal genre...

For the very wide rest rest, no issues, I'm always open and it varies from time to time, back and farth, with additions !

But it's me, OK ? :D

Aw... Sorry it was about guitars... Yes ! Buy an archtop or a semi-solid : you won't be deceived, but do not part with your "historic" guitars if I can say so ! ;)

-tbln

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really use overdrive anymore. I like everything these days to be clean, chimey and glassy sounding.

Paulie_Boy, nojazzhere and teletail like this.
  7. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I started out playing guitar in a blues, Motown, soul(ish) band. Went on to all blues. Then classic rock. Then much harder classic rock. Then country/rockabilly/rock and roll. Now I'm in a country/rockabilly band and a blues/country/Motown band. I've played some jazz along the way. I play with way less overdrive/distortion these days.

I can't imagine playing the same thing for 50 years.

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

Thanks for the responses guys, good to know I’m not alone.

although my preferences might be changing, im still reluctant to be tele-less.

i’m kind of feeling a bit stuck. Like maybe I’m limiting myself? Am I making any sense?

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tried a thinline?

10. dreamingtele

Yessir. I even assembled this myself..

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Yeah but I've gone the other way ... spent all the 90's playing big semi hollows (for the look more than anything if I'm honest)

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Well, here's how I see it when it comes to this question. I know some people will think I'm crazy and derive pleasure from doing just the opposite, i.e. active "collecting" (which is totally fine), but I built my current collection with an eye to the fact that I really dislike redundancy. That being the case, I have bought guitars kind of using the same mindset as one would use to build a good bag of golf clubs...on a functional basis.

As a result, I essentially have what I consider to be one quality example of everything I feel I need. One good Tele, one good Strat, a thinline Gibson hollowbody, a P-90 solidbody, a dreadnought, a 00 acoustic, and a shortscale bass. It's what I need. It's what I like. Some of them may lay dormant for periods as my taste and fancy shifts, but there is no reason to get rid of them while I'm not "into them" at any given moment. Any and all of them could come back into favor at any given time.

I will probably add to them over time (been wanting an SG), but it takes a lot for me to sell a guitar. I have only sold two in all my years (Ric 330 and an Epi '66 Worn Wilshire RI), and I still pine for both those guitars. :cry:

Scott

elihu likes this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

On the contrary, I think I'm devolving...

dreamingtele likes this.
  14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I would love an arch top with just a neck pickup for jazz. Maybe one day.

dreamingtele likes this.
  15. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

In the 60s & 70s for me it was only SG Standards,preferably pre-1970.
    Heard Roy for the first time & switched to Teles, although I still kept my SG.
    In the 80s, I went to Teles & Strats exclusively, Vitage or Custom Shop.
    Still got my '72 Strat & CS Tele, but a couple years ago I picked up a '65 Mosrite Ventures (avatar), and also have a Hallmark Classic 60, which is a Mosrite clone, but actually a much better guitar. Now I'm into a lot of surf & rockabilly.

dreamingtele likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

After a lifetime of being mainly a Fender/single-coils guitar player...
    ( ironically, my first electric in '76 was a Gibson Les Paul Signature- stolen in '80)

...I ( think ) I really want one of the newer ' Inspired by Gibson ' Epiphone SG's ( the Cherry '61 or '66 models, OR the Classic P-90's one)
    I have owned Epis solid and semi-hollow bodies before over many years and sold, as I either never bonded with them ( weight or pickups) or did like, but sold for the $$.
    But NEVER an SG, and I've always loved the look ( Monterey and Woodstock!) and sound of these guitars.
    A friend of mine has a real Gibson '61 SG Ri that I just love to play- that scale length/comfy neck, lighter body, and PAF style pickups.
    I can't afford the Gibson, so hoping to get the Epi up the road, maybe the ' Gibson' ( characteristics) I can keep!

dreamingtele likes this.
  17. dreamingtele

this actually Makes a lot of sense!

maybe I’ve been too redundant and somehow need to diversify a bit, with something I have never thought of. Which are, archtops.

My fascination with them started with a Gretsch 5420T. It was something familiar to the tele yet very different, and I thought to myself, yes, i will always have an archtop in my collection. Circumstances changed and I sold it to fund a move to a new country.

once I got settled, of course I got a tele first.. then a second. But after a while, i feel like, its this again, that it became so familiar, i feel like I’m searching for other things. Lol.

Oh well. Maybe I just need to get busy with something else. Lol

18. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I have 3 T-types (all configured a little differently); 3 S-types (ditto); 6 LPs (ditto ditto); 2 acoustics; one semi-hollow and 1 fully hollow. Plus a lap steel and a cigar box guitar.

I like having the variety at hand and picking up one I haven't played in awhile can spark some creativity.

If you like the Sorrento, I say stick with that. That's a sweet-looking axe. Also, it's much closer to a thinline ES-125 than the other guitars you linked to, which are more similar to ES-175s.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe we are all on a musical journey and everyone's journey is going to be as unique as the person.

I was a hardcore surf guitar fanatic for years. I moved on. I moved away from "spring" reverb and even ditched the whammy bar on my strat. I actually rarely play my beloved strat anymore. I started out on electric, but as my adventure is taking me back into the early days of blues, I am increasingly spend more time on acoustic.

dreamingtele and JL_LI like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Jazz and archtops? I have Strats, a Tele, SG, and a Gretsch Anniversary. Annie is about twice as thick as your Sorrento. That thickness and the shorter scale length limit my ability to use the higher frets. My next point is that of all my guitars, I like the jazz sound I get on my CS '69 Stratocaster on the middle pickup. Sound is a matter of personal taste. I don't know if I could get the sound I'm looking for on a Jazz box but being happy with what I have, I see no reason to pursue it. I've had my CS Strat for 5 months and I know I haven't found everything I can do with it. But that goes for all of my other guitars. The discovery period lasted a year, quite a few years with my Gretsch.

In your place, I'd give myself a year with the Sorrento. I'd stop in high end shops whenever the opportunity presents itself and play jazz boxes and other hollow body guitars. You may find one that's perfect for you or you may not. At least you'll be listening to real instruments rather than your imagination about what a wide body will do for you. The last thing I'd do having something so specific in mind is throw the dice on Reverb or eBay. You may like what you get or you may not. You may make a very expensive mistake. I'm addicted to guitar shops. I've played a variety of guitars over the past year and many of them sound very different from what I expected. And they sound different through different amps. That doesn't matter if you just pick up a guitar to play it but it matters a lot if you plan on buying something sight unseen.

I'm old enough to know that you may be better off getting the most from what you already own. I'd also keep money in the bank so you'll have it if something special comes along.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.