Changing 4 Ohms Champ to 8 Ohms

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by robtking, Oct 18, 2020 at 3:55 PM.

1. robtking

robtking TDPRI Member

Hi All,

I built a 5F1/2 a few months back and I'm really enjoying it, however, I now want to build a new cab to accommodate a 12" speaker as there's a lot more choice at 8 ohms.

My output transformer has 4, 8 & 16 ohms secondary taps and my question is - should I install another 1/4 output jack and connect the 8 ohms secondary and jump the common ground tab back to the first 4 ohm jack? Do I need to be aware of anything else?

Many thanks,
    Robert.

2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

yep, if your OT has an 8 ohm output, that's it. (if you want to keep the 4 ohm output)

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  3. robtking

robtking TDPRI Member

Perfect! Thank you very much. I thought I better ask first before making a mistake that could fry something!

4. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just hook up the 8ohm tap where the 4 ohm was and tap off the 4ohm. You’ll probably Never use it again, lol.

robtking likes this.
  5. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

On most Fenders, the primary speaker jack is a shorting jack (like Switchcraft 12A) and the external speaker jack is non-shorting (like Switchcraft 11). Or, you can use your existing jack and wire a SPDT On-On switch to change the impedance depending on what speaker you connect.

robtking and awasson like this.
  6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This isn’t a champ but it’s got 4, 8, 16 taps and I put a jack for each one. I’ve used all three since I built it so it’s well worth having the option.

I like @sudogeek’s suggestion of a switch. I’d put in a 3-way rotary switch for all 3 taps.

50DB9636-B8D3-4736-8CF0-A0BAA1E1FA1E.jpeg

robtking likes this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Are you using a negative feedback connection? You'd want to EITHER leave it as-is connected to the 4 ohm tap, OR (if you're getting rid of the 4 ohm option entirely) remember to use the correct resistor value with the new 8 ohm configuration.

robtking, sudogeek and David Barnett like this.
  8. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Not if you want to connect each jack to different taps. If you decide you want to do your original scheme (4 ohm jack, 8 ohm jack), both need to be non shorting type. Just remember to never turn your amp on without a speaker plugged in.

robtking likes this.
  9. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I use a three way rotary switch in my builds, and use 4/8/16 ohm multitap ot, so I can plug in to different cabs easily.

robtking and awasson like this.
  10. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

In case you're looking for a reasonably small (25 mm diameter) 3-position rotary switch marked "4 8 16" here's one. Schurter 0033.4032, rated at 10 A 250 VAC:
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/00334032?qs=j1qng3XoT/nmBB89ILqcJQ==
    Not really cheap, though -- over $16 -- but multiple jacks add up too, and require more real estate. It has a "coin or screwdriver" slot rather than a knob. I think that Marshall may have used this, or something very like it.

EDIT: it appears that AES sells the "Marshall" one ($27), somewhat larger, but with the same electrical rating
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/switch-rotary-impedance-selector-replacement-marshall
    and also the Schurter, or a clone of it ($13):
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/switch-rotary-impedance-selector-3-position

AES also has a rotary switch with "pot-like" construction ($11), but with only 6A 125 V rating:
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/switch-rotary-1-pole-3-position

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    robtking likes this.
  11. robtking

robtking TDPRI Member

I'm checking for on/on switches now - thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.