1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Changed Wah Pot - Still Noisy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Le Jab, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

I have a Vox Clyde McCoy, 2005/6. It was getting really noisy on rise and fall. Sent off for a new pot, soldered it in, and it still noisy. Maybe worse. Any suggestions?

2. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I had a noisy wah once.... turned out that it needed some more of that yellow grease on the gear teeth

3. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Vox wah and it was quite noisy in use. I sprayed the pot with contact cleaner and worked it back and forward for a while and it cleaned it up nicely. I do the same occasionally with my Cry Baby when it starts to get crackly. Always seems to work for me.

I can't see how the grease on the teeth could be the cause unless some of it has found its way into the innards of the pot maybe?

4. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Could you clarify if this this mechanical noise (eg squeaking coming from the pedal)? Noise affecting the guitar signal (eg pot crackle)? The suggestions seem to be going in two different directions, depending on what the problem is.

5. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

Its a pot noise, not mechanical. Without playing a note, I wah white noise. Its worse at the top and bottom of the pedal movement. I'm thinking I may just have another dodgy pot.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

How do you mean? The pedal produces noise when active and left alone, or produces the noise while sweeping the pedal?

7. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Do you have a drive pedal or hot active pickups before the wah?

8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

You might want to try a Hotpotz, they're totally sealed so there's no chance of dirt or whatever getting into it.

I installed one in my Thomas Organ Cry Baby years ago and it's still working great.

9. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

The open back supposedly icar type pot in the dunlop made clydes circa 2003 to around 05 -06 were horrible, they went scratchy for most people on the drive home from GC.

The above suggestion for a sealed hotpotz2 is good, but it has a much more condensed taper vs the original one you had.

If the replacement you bought was same 25 mm open type either with or without rubber cover, you would have same Sound issues as the first pot.
    Hard to say if the white noise will be solved by this, if the pot does not do it i would change the transistors for low noise types in the 130 to 200 hfe range. If a new pot is still scratchy, put a meter on the pot and check on millivolt setting, if you have dc reading on the pot your .22s and possibly your 4.7uf are suspect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.