Changed bridge p'ups, added a volume, gained more flexibility

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Censport, May 12, 2021.

1. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

About three years ago, I finally finished my first partscaster (old thread here). Played it like that until recently, when I suspected it could sound more Tele-ish. In the meantime, I redid my '87 Schecter YM-1 with a pair of Gibson humbuckers, two volumes and one tone that works on the bridge only. A guy at Glaser wired it up for me, and he took the initiative to wire it so the volumes blend the two pickups without cutting the guitar out if one is turned all the way off. That turned out awesome, so I decided to do the same with this plank. After reading up on bridge p'ups, I decided to try a Quarter Pounder. Found a new control plate (thanks to a recommendation from one of y'all), and dropped it all off at Glaser.

Picked it up today and it's awesome. Great powerful Tele tones out of the bridge, and it mixes well with the humbucker in the neck. And it looks the business too:

QP_close_up.jpg

The first volume controls the Gibson '57 Classic, so it has a Gibson knob. It's also a push-pull for the coil split. The second volume and the tone control the Seymour Duncan. I've already gotten used to the angled selector switch.

Y'know, the funny thing is, when I started playing a Highway One Tele years ago, the thing I enjoyed about it was how easy it was to play onstage. Between low lights and the pace of the band, Strats, Les Pauls, and Flying Vs can be a bit confusing when dialing in a particular tone for the solo, chorus, etc. Switching tones on a Tele is simple and I don't have to look down at the guitar. Well, until I built this thing, hahaha!

beanluc likes this.
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Three cheers for three knobs! Where'd the control plate come from? Mine's from 920D. Straight switch slot, no slant.

Censport likes this.
  3. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Glaser's has done some work for me, too. Great shop; smart techs!

Censport likes this.
  4. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Thanks! This one is from RockRabbit.

Yeah, they've been working on my axes since the mid-90s. They know their stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.