Chance for a Used Warmoth Neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Crowcaster, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:56 PM.

1. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Hey there,

I'm thinking of buying a used Warmoth neck, but have never tried one before.

I've bought a Musikraft for a bit over $200 new that I really like and before the pandemic I could find Fender Classic Series necks with tuners for around $200 used.

I've just recently finished a Van Halen 78 tribute and am leaning towards Musikraft again, but I think it'll be a many months long wait and wondering if this would be worth rolling the dice on as a good match.

Below is the info and I've got a counter offer of $200 for this wizard profile neck and jumbo Stainless Steel frets.

Sound like a fair deal?

Warmoth 1.PNG
    Warmoth 2.PNG
    78 Eruption Tribute.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems decent if you want those specs. Finished right? Good deal if finished. But... "Buzz"?

3. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

all the Warmoth stuff I have gotten has been top notch. I would say go for it.

frank a, dented and Crowcaster like this.
  4. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

It would only cost about $230 with a Warmoth done nut (unfinished, though). I would question the seller on whether they, or Warmoth installed the nut. It could be the reason for a 'buzz'.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems pretty good, just look close for hobbyist damage like stripped neck screw holes or cracks etc.

I bought two used Warmoth necks and saw the majority of offering were too expensive plus hobby damaged.

6. telemnemonics

AFAIK Warmoth "installs" "pre-slotted" nuts for $X but does not set them up to play.
    The slots are for location, not depth/ string height.
    So a hobbyist probably set up the neck and finished the nut to playing slot depths/ string heights.
    Could be some slots are too deep, some frets are high, hobby guy didn't know how to do a setup etc.

If the seller can't explain why a neck has buzz?
    Hobbyist!

BB, paulblackford and Crowcaster like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

To expand on what Telemnemonics is saying, hobbyists also use bad judgment in their choice of specifications. Which truss rod does this one have? What thickness and profile is the neck - what board radius?

Because the guys screw up when ordering, they don't even need to mess up the neck - as Warmoth has happily sent them a weird neck that only one guy in 75 here at TDPRI would actually prefer - in terms of what specifications were ordered. If you ask Warmoth to send you a messed up neck and pay the money, they will gladly accommodate you. What does the sad guy do when the neck isn't what he expects? He offers to sell it to a guy from North Dakota. I recommend running the other direction, with apologies and kindest regards and all that.

BB and Deeve like this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I happen to have a Warmoth neck in the Classifieds as we speak - taken from the guitar that used to occupy this very avatar spot - and I can guarantee there were no screwups when ordering, setting up or playing. Actually no setup was necessary - the 3 necks I've gotten from them were perfectly usable as-is with maybe a minor tweak of the side-screw once they acclimated to our 3% humidity...but then I'm no longer a gigging pro anymore.

BB and Crowcaster like this.
  9. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

This has not been my experience. My necks with precut nuts were fine for .10s.

It also doesnt say that the nut needs additional work on the Warmoth website. This is from the Warmoth website:

The string nut dictates both the spacing of the strings and their height above the frets, and must be cut to the specific dimensions of the neck it will be used on. We have built a system for precision cutting and shaping, done by a bench-top CNC mill. The result is a nearly perfect nut, compensated for fret height, nut width, string spacing, and fretboard radius.

BB and telemnemonics like this.
  10. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

If it’s a Wizard as in an Ibanez Jem it’ll be pretty thin. Thinner than any Fender you’ve ever played. I’d ask for a closeup of the peg head. I don’t trust many people’s skills with a reamer.

nojazzhere and Crowcaster like this.
  11. telemnemonics

Oh that's good info!
    I think that's a newer system or feature, wasn't always that way.
    Is the "precut nut" an option at additional cost?
    Or free on all base price necks starting at $157?

BB likes this.
  12. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I think it depends on the material.. ie. if it is bone or not. They also offer Earvana nuts which are more expensive.

13. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

It's your nickel but that's more money than I would be willing to spend on a d neck that has expressed issues. Could be improper relief or low action. Could be a nut filled too low, could be a high fret, could be warpage/twisting, could be nothing at all. Have you asked why he is selling it? See if he gives you a plausible explanation.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth makes really good stuff, but you never know what you're gonna get buying used sight unseen.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've ordered two Fender-licensed Tele necks from Warmoth....both unfinished. They are both close to perfect, and both were just a little over $200 each, with my exact specifications. If you order a new neck, you won't have to worry if a "hobbyist" messed anything up.
    IMHO, that neck is worth $100-125.....tops. ;)

Crowcaster and doghouseman like this.
  16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I found a MIM Tele neck for $200. New is $299.
    Pau Ferro fingerboard.

17. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

I probably own ~20 Warmoth necks of all shapes, profiles, and fret sizes, not a bad word to say about any of them.

My hesitancy is the Wizard profile.

If you're OK with that, I see no other problems, but that alone could be a deal-killer.

For what it has and the price, it's a deal, but if you're uncomfortable playing the thing, nothing's a deal.

nojazzhere and Crowcaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.