Champion 600 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. EyesHockey

EyesHockey TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

MadJack,

Thanks for the reply. This thread may never die!!!

I am looking forward to building this cabinet. I will post pictures in the weeks to come. I will be doing finger joining with a jigsaw, files, sandpaper, and a ton of patience.

2. EyesHockey

Here it is so far...

[​IMG]

I used a jig saw for the finger/box joints. So, they are not perfect but close enough. It's now glued and the tolex and grill cloth have been ordered.

3. EyesHockey

Here's the latest pic. It's been glued and clamped and then the edges were rounded with a router. The joints were much tighter when clamped and fit pretty well. I sanded down anything sticking up prior to using the router. It's coming along!!! I also now have the handle, rubber feet, and jack.

[​IMG]

4. EyesHockey

Here's more updated photos!!! I sanded the whole thing and was sure to get any glue drips sanded off. I'm using Tee Nuts for the baffle both for the speaker as well as mounting to the cabinet. Obviously, I spray painted the baffle and inside black. The tolex has been cut to size!!! Getting perfect edges on the tolex was tough!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. EyesHockey

I made the back last night. I need to sand a bit to even out the top...my belt sander slipped a bit on one side just where the sides go up. No big deal. I also made a mistake on the drilled holes and had to move each up by 1/2 inch. I'll just use some wood putty and the tolex will cover all that. I was not happy when I did it, but my wonderful wife calmed me down and just said to move the darn holes!!! I wanted to make a new back, but she was right. This project was not perfectly executed, but I've found a fix to every issue so far!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. EyesHockey

Used the belt sander and then the router again to get the top corners more even. I just need to fill the extra holes with wood putty and then TOLEX!!! Those back angled corners are a puzzle. I used a scrap piece of tolex to figure out how I'm going to do those corners. It took a few different approaches, but I have a method to cover them. They are slightly different than the Fender Champion 600 because the top piece is not angled...just the sides.

[​IMG]

7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

^^That's going to be fantastic!

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

EyesHockey, you've got me wanting to build an a solid wood (Pine) cab for my C600.

Mine would be slightly bigger for the 8" speaker I'm using and covered in tweed, as that is the modded circuit used in mine.

9. EyesHockey

dankilling,

Thanks!!! It's been a fun project. The back, top corners are going to be fun with the tolex. My top back edge is square and not angled like the sides. It took me 5 tries with scrap pieces of tolex (no contact cement of course...just some tape) to come up with the approach. I will be doing the tolex tomorrow!!! I've read the key is to make the sure the contact cement is dried enough with no solvent left in it...tacky, but no strings when touching and lifting my finger off. A hair dryer will also be needed so I don't get condensation, I've read. It will be in the 50s here tomorrow, and I have to do that outside. I wanted to do it last Sunday when it was in the 70s, but cutting the tolex took way too long. Kind of a good thing because it gave me time this week to determine how to do those back corners in a good way.

Now, I just need a Telecaster!!! Currently have an Epiphone ES-335 Pro and an Art & Lutherie (made by Godin) Almond Dreadnought.

10. EyesHockey

MadJack,

Yeah. I'm sure the 8" would sound really good. I was looking at 5F1 kits, but they cost just as much as the Champion 600...and you have to build it yourself. I'll probably never turn this cabinet into an amp because I can get other cool guitar stuff with that money.

The only mods on my Champion 600 are the tubes. JJs were put in there by the guy I bought it from, so I never even heard it with the originals.

I just saw they have a jigsaw jig that will cut perfect circles that looks pretty universal. I wish I had that. I'd also probably NOT try to do the box/finger joints with a jigsaw. That was a real pain.

I'd also use hard wood (not pine like I did) for the cleats inside. They'll be okay, but just soft. That's why I ended up going with Tee nuts for the Jack Panel and Back (as well and the baffle mount and baffle speaker mount, but my front is 3/4 inch Birch plywood). The jack panel is pine. All my pine is 3/4. The back is also birch plywood 1/2 inch. I had to clamp a 1/4 inch plywood piece to the back when cutting it so I could use my 1/2 inch rounding router bit on it and use the 1/4 piece as a guide...so I also have a 1/4 inch back, but I'm not going to use it.

Anyway, thanks for the tips along the way...and share your pics when you go for it!!!

11. EyesHockey

I got the sides on. Here's a pic of the first side I did. There are some stripes in it, but not super noticeable unless you're looking for issues. I think I figured out I put too much spray adhesive on the back of the tolex and I overlapped when I sprayed to ensure good coverage.

I had an issue with my middle piece which covers the top, front, and bottom (the 1 piece that I thought was going to be the easy one). I think it had to do with the too much spray adhesive. The backing cloth actually separated from the vinyl front where the spray adhesive overlapped. Oh well. Now I have adhesive remover coming in the mail to remove the contact cement from the wood. (Wurth Clean Solve which says it works on vinyl even though I'll try not to get any on the sides I've already wrapped) and a new piece of cream tolex. I needed one more piece for the back anyway, so I ordered two.

I went ahead and put everything together anyway and it sounds great!!! I don't know if I'll notice once the speaker is broken in, but I love it so far!!! It's much louder than the 6". It's a Weber 12A100 speaker.

[​IMG]

12. dankilling

Take a roller to the side to spread the glue out. I use a cut 1" dowel.

13. EyesHockey

dankilling,

Yeah. I rolled the **** out of it, but I guess not all the glue...LOL. I think it really was just too much spray adhesive and the lines are where the rows of spray overlapped. The fabric backing separated from the vinyl front. I did think of clamping two large boards on the sides to press the whole surfaces down. It may be too late for that to make a difference now. They are not that bad at all really, so I'm okay with the way it is.

14. dankilling

Maybe apply a little heat with a hairdryer?

15. EyesHockey

dankilling,

Yeah. Maybe I'll try that tonight and then clamp two boards on the sides and let it sit for 24 hours.

16. EyesHockey

dankilling,

So I did the hairdryer and clamped large boards on each side, and it made no difference. It's just slightly noticeable, so I'm okay with it. I also watched some more videos online about the spray adhesive. I was using WAY too much. LOL I'm lucky the sides came out looking as good as they did.

The cream tolex should come in the mail in another day or so. I'll do a much better job this time now that I've learned so much. I hope Saturday will be tolex day again (2 weeks in a row now). Then, I hope to not have any more tolex days for a long time!!!

17. EyesHockey

So, the Wurth brand "Clean Solve" is now called "Clean Prep." I never used it before, so I can't compare myself. But, some others say it's a different formula. It did help get most of the contact cement off. I laid an old white T-shirt (both layers) on the wood and soaked it for 15 minutes and then removed the T-shirt and used a drywall blade to remove as much adhesive as possible.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I cut my cream tolex between 1 and 2 AM. I'm now ready to try again. Also, I learned I'll need to put small pieces of tolex in the inside rounded corners because I don't think I can get full coverage, and it might rip the tolex if I try. It won't look as clean as I want (maybe), but I'll try to make it look as unnoticeable as possible. I'm glad I tried to use a scrap piece and then did some Googling to see how others have handled it. Some use a heat gun to stretch the tolex, but I don't want to go that route and risk ripping it and have to remove the tolex a second time and apply for a third time.

18. EyesHockey

Here are the back corners I did last Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. EyesHockey

Here are the final pics. I had a bit of bubbling of the tolex on the back where the cream color wraps around. I think it's because I stretched it in sections while wrapping. Oh well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Also, on the front my screw driver slipped when using it left handed and I put a mark on the front, bottom, right near the screw. I have a vinyl repair kit where you mix the color yourself. I'll practice that and make sure I get a good color match and then fix it if I think it will look good enough.

Also, I took the grill cloth off and flipped it so the super glue marks are now covered except for one small mark...if you can see it on the left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

havlma1 likes this.
  20. andocommando

andocommando TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.