Champion 600 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged TDPRI Member

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How's this for a Champion 600 Upgrade?

My current project, a 10 watt, 6L6GC modified Champion 600 PCB, with Bass and Treble Controls, Standby switch, NFB switch and multi-impedance output (4Ω, 8Ω & 16Ω). This is just the cassis, it will be in a combo with a Weber AlNiCo Signature 12S speaker.

The front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Power supply wiring:
    [​IMG]

Output wiring:
    [​IMG]

Tone Control and NFB Switch wiring:
    [​IMG]

Input wiring:
    [​IMG]

I still need to get some more pics with the new power supply dropping resistors and the 6L6GC bias resistor.

I got all the way up to powering up the power tube and got a nasty squeal from the speaker. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it yet. I am seriously looking forward to getting this thing working.

havlma1 likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow!! NICE!!

4. ruger9

With all my mods, I am finding that I think I would like a bright cap on the vol control, to help retain highs as I turn down for cleaner tones.... Since it's a PCB-mounted pot, is there any "trick" I should know (other than not lifting the traces), or do I just solder a cap across the 2 lug points? (I have a 100pf I want to try)

5. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Speaker grill cloth replacement

I (finally) just replaced the suffocating suede-like stock grill cloth with a Fender Oxblood cloth. OMG, I'm here to tell ya that the difference was immediately noticeable and had a very positive effect on the sound. Much more open, louder, and unmuffled sounding. To me, it had a more noticeable effect than changing out the stock tubes. Kind of a PIA to remove the staples attaching the old cloth, but IMHO, well worth the effort!

6. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

I can't believe I read the whole thread.

I got a Champ 600 about a week ago. Mods are on the way.

Getting a Jenson 6" MOD speaker on the way, two JJ tubes, and yellow fender style grille cloth.

Later I'll decide what else to do. My goal is a little cleaner sound with a sweeter breakup.

Anyway I just want to says to all the folks that have posted their knowledge here.

7. ruger9

The speaker will help loads.

Before you do any other mods, you should definitely try lower gain preamp tubes. I settled on a ECC832/12DW7, but also try a 5751 and 12AY7. 5751 is a little less gainier than the stock 12AX7, the 12AY7 is quite a bit less gain, and the ECC832 is ALOT less gain. For sweet clean tones and mild breakup, the ECC832 is fantastic... it does make the amp quieter, but I'm fine with that since this is a HOME amp anyway.

8. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

Done. Replaced the grill cloth with Fender yellow tweedy style. Put the Jenson MOD in, and replaced the tubes with JJs.

At first, nothing dead silence. Nada. I pulled of the back and saw I forgot to plug in the speaker plug. Jeez.

Finally sound, nice sound. Cleaner, less farty. What I wanted.

I notice a jangly clank when playing. What's that? Tube noise? Could I have a bad tube? Or misseated? It's not a nice sound. Advice?

9. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

Never mind... I took another look and thought I'd reseat the tubes. I removed the preamp tube cover and the tube fell out in my hand. I pushed it back in firmly and it fell out again. I bent a pin slightly and it still fell out.

I put the OEM preamp tube back in and it stays in just fine. Now the amp is even a little cleaner sounding.

10. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

Perhaps the pins on the loose pre-tube are a tad thinner.

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

JJ are know for under sized pins. No great loss though, they suck in fender amps anyway.

12. ruger9

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

JJ tube pins are a bit small, but many NOS European tubes may be a bit smaller. Chinese OEM tubes have very fat pins and retensioning the socket helps to tighten them up. The modern sockets aren't even close to the old ones in quality or specs.

14. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

I've only ever used NOS tubes (RCA's, Mullards,....etc) and have never had a problem with them "or" the old sockets. I've even had sockets split in half and they were still good. The new stuff doesn't smell like the old stuff either [​IMG]

The 1st thing to die in my C600 (when it was stock) was the Chinese 6l6. It put on a lighting/lightning show for me one day. That looked kinda groovy. From there it went out on to the work bench in the garage for a major overhaul.
    Valves (NOS), pots, jacks, Fargen Hot Mods kit incl Mercury Magnetics OT and choke, Weber Sig 6 AlNiCo Spkr, Fender Wheat cloth (deluxe style). Installed gain knob which adjusts from stock to full gain. Holy Grail reverb unit integrated into amp.

15. Dr.Ed

Dr.Ed NEW MEMBER!

fender champion 600

Hi everyone and anyone, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement circuit board for the modern Fender Champion 600 amps. I attempted a modification and destroyed the board.

16. EyesHockey

EyesHockey TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Help with 1x12 Cabinet Size

I am jumping in in this thread a bit late. :)

I just got a used Fender Champion 600 that had already been upgraded with JJ tubes. I love it. But, I think it will sound so much better through a 1x12 cabinet. I just ordered a Weber 12A100 4 Ohm, 15 W, Standard Dust Cap, Light Doping, and Red in color.

I was thinking to make a small, closed-back cabinet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the size of the cabinet? Is closed-back the way to go?

Thanks!!!

17. EyesHockey

Oh...and I ALWAYS prefer sound quality over volume if that helps with any cabinet size/type recommendations for this specific amp/speaker combination.

Thanks!!!

18. EyesHockey

I was thinking of matching the dimensions of this one. But, this is a combo. So, maybe just a slice off the top so my cabinet would be the same just a bit shorter by the height if the internal amp parts.

Blackstar HT-5R 1x12" 5-Watt Tube Combo Amp

I noticed it's mostly closed-back.

19. EyesHockey

I think I'm going with a 17 W x 15 H x 10 D Cabinet for my Weber 12A100 15 W 4 Ohm speaker. I'll do open back, but I may try a few different size openings. Weber recommended not to go smaller than 15x15x9. I didn't want a square box because I thought that was bad. I looked at other 1x12 cabinets (and amps) and came up with this. I focused mainly on the Fender Blues Jr and also on other amps and cabinets with lower wattages as my main reference. Other, more powerful amps and cabinets were larger.

I'm going to do cream and brown tolex and wheat cloth to match my Fender Champion 600. I can even get a Fender logo just like on the Champion.

20. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That Should be a good size for that size speaker. Open back would be best for it too.

I usually use 1' X 10" White Pine board (3/4" X 9¼" actual). Finger (Box) Joints are best and most secure, but I don't have the capabilities to cut them myself. I use butt joints with 1" X 1" wood dowel or 1" x 2" board screwed and glued in the corners for braces. I use 3/4" x 3/4" dowel for the baffle mount. You can see some of my techniques on this 2 X 10" cab I built for my 5F1 modded Champion 600:

[​IMG]

This cab was built with 1" X 12" White Pine board.

A TV Front with the baffle mounted from the rear might work well if you want a similar style as the C600 cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.