1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champion 600 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

What was the problem?

2. Samuraijackson

Samuraijackson TDPRI Member

Big electronics noob mistake. R10 was 680k instead of 680ohm. :D

3. Samuraijackson

Samuraijackson TDPRI Member

Well, since I've sorted all the problems out with this thing a couple of days ago, I'm having quite a bit of fun!

This little amp was cool bone stock from the factory but put a distortion box in front of it and it will fizz like hell due to the small size speaker.

I tried to follow Bluesky636 instructions of many posts ago, but after the mods something was wrong, and not just for the wrong sized resistor in R10. I had to put R3 back cos havin it jumpered gave me some problem with the volume knob (sounded noisy like a dirty pot) and then I have the nfb back in the circuit again with the stock resistor.

Speaker is a C8R made in Italy ( gonna support local economy right? ).

The amp hum a little bit but, it's lots of fun. I can push it with distortion pedals all day long with no fizz and the sound is much bigger with no tone stack and the bigger speaker. It's a perfect solution for home practice with tone. Next mod will be full size volume pot!

4. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

Yeah, I just found that out. My 6V6 blew up and I thought I toasted the amp itself! :confused:

Weo! I'm on page 2 of a beautiful 40 something page thread! WoW ! ! :eek:

5. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

Ahhh in 50 years someone is going to say Dang-iT! why oh why did someone have to drill holes in the faceplate??? :mad: This amp could have been worth $50,000, but nooOooo !

I like that mod, it seems quick and easy. I actually like the sound of the amp all stock but with good tubes. I'm curious on this boost though.

6. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

The other week I pulled a leg of both the R7 and R19 cap just as an experiment. I was so shocked at the difference in tone and I really love using it as a little gain monster now.
    I actually took it out and gigged it last Friday night, it had a mic in front of it of course but with the volume on 8 it still cleaned up very well and kept up fine.

Here's a quick video of it, with the caps clipped as well as a tube and speaker change.

7. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

Nice demo Freethenoise. I wasn't convinced until about 6:30. After that I just thought it sounded great. Nice playing too, btw. Cheers

8. Lazer

Lazer Tele-Meister

I did the same, and Yes it turned into harsh rugged monster. Put them right back.
    Specifially R7 (The negative feed back) is important. It gives You compression and
    a lit smoother break up.

Cheers
    L-zr

9. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Thank you kindly, there were a few hiccups here and there.

The main point that I wanted to convey was how much better the amp sounds with humbuckers. I found humbuckers to be completely useless through this amp before the mods.

10. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

When my C600 was stock standard the HB guitars were pretty lame and not as loud as single coil guitars. The SC's had some spank too.
    Since I modded mine a ways back I can get the HB's to roar like a buffalo on the warpath and the SC's have "more" spank. Get some very edgy tones happening from both HB's and SC's.
    I got the full Fargen Hot Mods kit incl' Mercury Magnetics OP tranny & choke, 6" Weber Sig AlNiCo speaker covered by Fender wheat grille cloth. The R19 trick is performed by the old modded Vol pot (stock to full gain) and a Holy Grail reverb pedal integrated into the amp.
    I have a nice little stash of old and NOS power & pre-amp tubes (RCA's & Blackburn Mullards).
    I have thrown some abuse at this amp and it just begs for more.

They laughed at it when I first took it to band practice. They stopped laughing pretty quickly when I fired it up.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was in the club, modded the crap out of mine trying to get it to sound like the old 50's octal-preamp-tube C600 (not gonna' happen), so I sold it.

NOW- I'm looking for one again... I'd probably upgrade the speaker, but it makes a great little clean jazz amp (I would probably also mod a push-pull pot for the more middy/50's/driven sound as well... sort of 2 channels)...

nice Johnny Smith tone....

12. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I traded the first one I had, then missed it and bought another. The second one sounded better, I don't know why. I planned on modding it, but after the stock speaker broke in and I put a NOS RCA Blackplate 6V6 in it along with a NOS 5751, I love the little thing. Great clean tones for fooling around when I'm chilling in the living room. I feel like I should track another one down to mod.

13. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

I found this thread a long time ago when I first picked up my Champ 600
    I've since added a Weber to go along with the Tung-Sols
    It is one sweet sounding amp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Did you dress the amp in tweed?
    Looks really nice!!!

15. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

Nope and thanks.
    The only things I've done are put a new grill cloth on it, swapped out original tubes for Tung-Sols and changed the speaker.
    Originally I had put in a Jensen, but when I put the Seymour's in my Strat, I wasn't as satisfied with the tone I was getting. Purely subjective, I know.
    Went with the Weber and I couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

16. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Sorry I was quoteing Flickflash (but that did't work) From the former page. I saw your's wasnt redressed.

Still yours is also a sweet looking amp. Bet it sounds good with your mods aswell.

17. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

I recabbed mine in a pine cabinet ,tweeded, retubed & changed to a 60's celestion speaker

18. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Really cool! Thanks for the update/info!

19. Medronio

Medronio TDPRI Member

Hi alltogether!
    I modded my Gretsch (similar to 600) with a Jensen Speaker, new grill cloth and new tubes. Now i want to reduce the hum and mod R7 and the tonestack.
    I guess i will solder a pot replacing R19. What should i use? Linear, Log or Reverse Log?
    And what did you do to reduce the hum?
    I read about placing the OT in another place for more space to the tubes.
    Right? I think about unscrewing one screw, reversing it 180° and done.
    Enough and is there anything else that will reduce the hum without great effort?
    Regards

20. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I used a 1 Meg log pot in series with r19. It was probably too big but it had the switches I wanted for r7 mod and bypass cap lift. There is gradual change up to about halfway and not much change after that.

The heater wires can to create some hum if they are in the wrong place. That's probably the first place to start.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.