1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champion 600 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. nasdak

nasdak Tele-Meister

nice farting distorsion :D

here's mine cranked at 12 with tone stack bypassed, tokai LP staright into the amp (amp higly attenuated so still bedroom level - quite nasty!)
    http://mp3.6cordes.net/18e04d

2. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Sounds good. What did you do to it? Does it still play clean?

3. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Weber Alinco 6" for one that is being modded into the 5F1, I couldnt wait to hear what the speaker sounded like so I installed it into the stock one. While I was at it I put in a Tung Sol 6v6 and Sylvania 12ax7 that came out of my other one.

Holey Moley does that make a world of difference with those little amps! I actually like the stock amps as they are but was really impressed with the upgrade. So, I actually think those are going to stay in that Champ and I'll buy a second Weber for the 5F1 modded one.

I really, really like these little amps. They are inexpensive and there are so many things you can do to them that are inexpensive as well. I can see this turning into a sickness already and I'll end up with a Champ 600/G5222 collection.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got a used one that wasn't working. It already had a generic 8" 4Ω speaker out of a small pracrice amp of some sort. It had two PCBs, one stock with the R7 & R19 lift mods done and one with the 5F1 mod done to it. I installed the stock board with the R7 & R19 repaired. Doing the troubleshooting, I found the OT was shorted out. I'm waiting on the Weber OT to come in then I'll work from there.

5. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Weber or Jensen? I want clean and nasty can I have both or buy another champ

6. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

You could do the tone stack bypass but make it switchable and mount the switch in the low input jack hole. I have seen theads from guys who have done this. So you'd go from the polite stock cleans to the snarly thing. I'd still change the speaker and grill cloth.

7. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I've put a 1 meg pot between r19 and ground. This way I can just dial in some mids or dial out the tone stack and rock out.

This kinda takes the C600ri from mild to wild.

Printer2 has laid out some schematics that take the NFB from BF to 5f1 with a switch or two which would help with the mild to wild transition.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  8. jnash85

jnash85 TDPRI Member

Can someone verify that my wiring is correct? My goal is a switch to bypass the stock tone stack. I want a DPDT switch that will add the coupling cap between the junction of C1 and R18 and the junction of R21 and R20. At the same time it should lift the ground from R19.

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8961324158

9. MadJack

Since the last post in this thread, I got the Weber OT installed and got the amp working. I played it in stock form for a few days, then I did the R19 lift, for a bit more gain. The generic 8" speaker sounded small and box. Installed the Weber AlNiCo Signature 8 speaker on the 1/2" board that came with the amp, but the spider kept the chassis from going all the way in. I finished up the 1/4" baffle tonight and all sits well.

[​IMG]

Sounds much better with the Weber AlNiCo Sig 8. Warm, crunchy and louder.

I just got the components to finish the 5F1 Tweed Champ PCB based conversion.

[​IMG]

(I know, I should be using a soldering station, but this has worked for me so far.)
    I've got a few more things to do with it, now just to get the time and still have time to play my guitars and spend time with/caring for my daughter (she's a teen so not as much time is required as it used to, but more maintenance!)

As of right now, I'm still playing it with the stock PCB with the R19 lift.

10. MadJack

Brief update, the board in the picture above has been completed, just need to find time to install it.

[​IMG]

Bluesky636, if you're still out there, does it look familiar?

Anyone else familiar with this conversion, does it look right?

11. MadJack

I installed it and got a lot of squealing, crackling and popping noises. The 6V6 started glowing blue! I shut it down immediately. Gave it a minute to discharge the caps. Pulled it apart and started grounding the various components and got blue arc from the OT feed. I put the Stock board with the R19 lift back in. I'll tear into the schematics this weekend and see where I went wrong.

On a side note, I put a JJ 5751 in V1 and was greeted with a beautifully warm bluesy tone. I think it shall stay in there till I get the 5F1 board straightened out.

12. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

Oops ! Hope you didn't fry anything [​IMG]

13. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Madjack, it sounds like you're going down the same road the previous owner has already tread with that 5f1 board.

If you want to go full 5f1 you might consider ditching the stock PCB and doing a turret or eyelet board.

It would be way easier to troubleshoot and it wouldn't have a bunch of stuff you weren't going to use anyway.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-brothers-diy-amps/295943-champ-600-5f1-conversion.html

Several people have done this with solid state and tube rectifiers.

14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I didnt feel comfortable doing the conversion to 5F1 so I sent my chassis off to Boothill to do it. I cant remember what he charged me now, but it was very reasonable and got it back pretty quick. Its pretty much my go-to amp now.

15. MadJack

I put the R19 lifted PCB back in, it's working just fine.

I was trying to copy Bluesky636's PCB based 5F1 project, which started on page 17 of this thread (post #669, November 6, 2011).

You may have also been thinking about this thread by hackworth1: Champion 600 to Champ 5F1 Conversion. This is the one he did using the stock transformers and a SS rectifier.

Yes, I remember you posting that up. I believe you got the conversion I listed above on yours. You got a really good deal. He lives about an hour away from me, so if I don't get this board figured out, I'll go see him about the conversion. (I'll make arrangements to make sure all is okay to go by there be fore I go! I wouldn't show up unannounced.)

16. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Getting some mods done to mine now. Apparently, the power tube arced and took out R10. First thing, I removed the pcb for the pot and inputs and wired up some decent components direct.
    That's as far as I want to go so I took it to Ron The Amp Guy. He's doing the R10 repair for me and I'll also have him do a switched R19 mod while he's in there.
    He had an old Ken Rad power tube that'll go in now along wi a JAN 5751 preamp tube.
    The speaker and grill cloth I did some time ago, so it's getting to be a nice little amp.
    I think next up will be a new cabinet for it to accommodate a 10" speaker.

This was my grill cloth mod.

[​IMG]

17. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Back home. The volume pot and jacks are now solid wired and I have a new resistor and power tube. That is a 1950something Sylvania tube. Sounds good.
    We plugged the Champ into Ron's 8x10" bass cab. Holy crap that was awesome! It sounded amazing.

So I got to thinking about upgrading some speakers.
    I already have the Jensen Mod speaker in it. It's better than stock but its still a cheap 6" speaker.

Option 1: Weber Chicago vintage 8". $53. After all, a Champ gets an 8" speaker right?

Option 2: Ron has a pair of 10" 8 ohm Utah speakers from a 1960 Fender PA I can get for like $25 for the pair. Would that be a worthwhile endeavor to build a cab for those? Costlier option, but that also leaves me with a separate cab for use anywhere. Are the Utahs worth the expense and hassle of building a cab?

18. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

19. Hungry Ghost

Hungry Ghost NEW MEMBER!

No need to bias either tube. That's one of the things the lazybones-in-me enjoys about these amps. They're like a good, dirty woman - just stick it in and go. :lol:

EDIT - whoops, my bad. Missed the date on that one! :eek: Damn this thread is BIG! :eek:

20. Samuraijackson

Samuraijackson TDPRI Member

Hi guys, long time lurker here. Since at the moment I cant afford a proper tweed champ some time ago I bought a used Champion 600 that I started modding, but something went wrong. What I've done is to remove the tone stack,adding the .022 coupling cap from top of r18 to bottom of r20, changed the R10 resistor to 680k 2w, removed C10 and jumpered R3. Also changed R7 to 48k if I recall correct?

Now, when I turn the amp on, I got almost no volume until the knob is at noon, and then, if I hit the strings strong enough the amp farts loudly. Tubes are glowing and fuse looks good. I checked all the solderings and everything looks fine. Do you have any idea of what's going wrong? Did I forget something?
    Hope someone can figure it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind regards,

SJ

EDIT: Nevermind! Some guy in Music-Electronics forum found out the problem!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.