1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Champion 600 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

The thing is, you can try and lower the bass as much as you like, but if you are playing though a 6" or even 8" speaker in the stock cab, you'll never really hear any real difference. The small speaker cannot move the amount of air required to produce any significant bass. Now, plug into a 12" speaker cab and stand back. You'll have bass galore. With the mods I have made, single coil (or even stacked humbuckers) sound great through my 12" cab. PAF type humbuckers are still a little wooly for my taste, so I am trying to resolve that issue.

2. foody80

foody80 TDPRI Member

I have a question that may be stupid, so I apologize in advance.

I want to do the "lifting r19 and r7" mod, but I have no soldering equipment or soldering skills. Will I ruin anything if I just clip one of the metal legs of the resistor without using a soldering iron at all?

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

No, you won't ruin the amp (it will still play), but what will you do when after you clip the leads you decide you don't like what the amp sounds like? I suggest you buy a soldering iron and solder and watch one of the many "how-to-solder" videos on the Internet before cutting anything.

4. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

"So what's the best general consensus for replacement speaker and tubes? I play single coil and like warm clean overhead. I just noticed my stock EH6V6 died... I've had this amp for a few years but hardly played much at all. I have a few preamp tubes already (but not JJ)."

I picked up a a couple of GE 6v6gts and a dozen assorted US made pre amp tubes, from a radio swap meet last weekend, big improvement, right now I have a GE 12ax7 in the pre and it's fat and clean up to about 6, I have a few at7s and want to give them a try.
    The tubes made a huge difference in the sound, I'm all stock and is a very noticble difference, moving the amp from ok to pretty nice.
    The GE 6v6 is expensive from tube dealers (I got the whole mess for $10 so look around at out of the way places)but less than the RCA.
    I was considering a speaker upgrade, but at this point the tubes are giving me what I want, so it's on hold.

5. foody80

foody80 TDPRI Member

Good advice, but I went ahead and did it anyway - and... I couldn't be happier!
    100% improvement! I ordered better tubes and a replacement speaker, so that should improve it even more, but the "tweedy" sound I'm getting now is great!

6. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Then why did you bother wasting time asking the question?

7. foody80

foody80 TDPRI Member

Uhh, the question I asked was whether or not I'd ruin my amp. You told me I wouldn't, and I thank you for the info. You also suggested that I may like the original tone better, and de-soldering would be safer. I decided to go ahead and snip, and thankfully I like the tone a lot better. Sorry if I offended you, I just meant to thank you for the help. It wasn't a waste of time for me.

8. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Well, let's just hope that you continue to love the sound after changing the tube's and speaker.

9. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

What's the difference between a normal capacitor and a coupling cap? Can I use a normal cap? Also, will a 1K resistor work for R23?

10. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

I'll be honest with you. Someone else might be willing to answer your question, but I'm not going to. It is clear from your questions that you know nothing about the workings of a tube amp and its components. I strongly suggest that you pick up a copy of one of the many books on tube amp design and do a little studying before you attempt to mod your amp to avoid possibly causing harm to the amp or yourself.

11. JDO

JDO Tele-Holic

i know nothing about this amp. i'm just popping my head in. sounds like you're new to amps. most important thing is to be very careful in there.

as to your question about coupling cab vs a normal cap... i'll try to answer it in talking about resistors. resistors are resistors. the only difference between a grid resistor or a plate resistor is where they are placed. it's a way to help people focus in when they talk about a circuit.

now move over to caps. you have coupling caps, cathode bypass caps (or just bypass caps), filter caps, etc. the difference is where they are placed. a cap is a cap until you start talking about electrolytics. then you have to start worrying about their polarity.

hth some

don't be afraid to ask. that's how we learn. but keep learning and find some good resources to help you out along the way.

12. Amstrat

Amstrat TDPRI Member

First off thanks to all previous posters.

Anybody still have a 12 x 12 inch chunk of grill cloth to sell?

TIA

Larry

13. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I'm getting a fizzy sort of distorted tone out of mine, but it cleans up when I turn it down. Would new tubes or a speaker solve this?

14. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

bluesky has a point on this. Hey, you fry your amp, I don't care. But even a little Champ 600 has enough DC voltage (DC is the bad one for your heart) in the caps to kill you stone cold dead if you grab the wrong part of the amp at the wrong time. I like your enthusiasm and your desire to jump in headfirst, but having been that way myself back in the day, I found out the hard way that not knowing what you're doing (and without study, you don't know what you don't know) can have some consequences that you may not expect.

In my case, before I decided to stop and figure out what I was doing wrong, I set a vintage amp on fire, an oscilloscope AND some other test gear on fire, and ended up stone cold unconscious on the floor from a good-sized hit of voltage. That last, with a few more volts or a few more years under my belt, would have been the end.

Oh yeah, these were three separate incidents, not all at the same time!

So bluesky may be coming off as a bit curmudgeonly, but he's right. Back off and take some time to learn. You have the entire rest of your life.

15. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Ummm, that's what it usually sounds like stock and is why people like to mod the amp.

16. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

I got "grabbed" by the B+ supply of an original Blackface Twin Reverb back in college. Threw me off my stool and into the wall behind me, 6 feet away. I'll never forget that. :eek:

17. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that's what I figured. I just thought I'd be lazy and ask the question. Guess I'll have to put on my big boy pants and actually read this thread. :oops:

18. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

It's only 20 pages. Shouldn't take more than a day or two. :lol:

19. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Yeah, a great excuse to break out a few cold ones and sit back for awhile.

20. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

I finished all of the mods. R7 is 22k, and I have a .022 mfd cap for the tone stack thing. I also put new Tungsol tubes in it. I don't know what made a bigger difference, but I love it now. Sounds like Layla! Thanks for all the help, I now have the sound of a $1,000 amp for about $150.

What's a good 8 or 10 inch speaker that doesn't cost much and would make it sound tweedier? I'm planning on making a bigger cab soon, would maple plywood work? Should it be a tweed Princeton sized cab, or a normal Champ?

The tweed sound is so addicting, now I have to have a 5E3...it's a free forum, but the GAS treatments are expensive...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.