Champion 600 to 5F1 Champ

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by thinling, May 24, 2019.

1. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

IMG_8668.jpg

I just finished putting a 5F1 Champ into a busted Champion 600 reissue, using a kit from Dave at Boothill Amps. It's a huge success; sounds great, dead quiet idling, pretty easy to do. It uses the old transformers and switch, which saves money, but that's all that's original.
    I wanted to put a Champ in there, and found out about his conversion kit while googling - it's on this site somewhere. His website shows full kits but doesn't mention this conversion - just ask for it! As far as I understand it, the preamp is on that board with it's own ground to the chassis, and the power section comes pre-assembled and attaches to the transformer ground.
    I went a bit crazy on extras - I added a Princeton-style tone control with a rotary pot switch to turn it off. I added a switch that lets me choose between 2 negative feedback resistors or off, and I did the same thing adding 2 different capacitors for a bright switch.
    There's also an 8" Weber speaker in there, which caused the only problem - the back of the chassis touches the top edge of the speaker and causes a terrible noise; it took me a few minutes to figure that out... I wrapped insulation tape over the back edge of the chassis and that fixed it.

W.L.Weller and Luvs2yoko like this.
  2. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

IMG_8669.jpg IMG_8671.jpg IMG_8673.jpg

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Cool project.
    How much experience did you have previous to the build and how long did it take you to complete?

Thinking of doing something similar but I am a little trepidatious.

4. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

It's my first amp. I've built pedals before. I did it a little at a time over a few days; because my desk is in one of my kid's rooms, and he decided to come home and sleep all day in there one day!
    Maybe altogether I spent about seven or eight hours? I took it pretty slow - I couldn't get one of the old bolts out and had to use a hacksaw on it. I looked it over a few times and luckily realized I had a wire in the wrong place.
    If you just made the regular kit version without the extras I would think it's pretty easy, there aren't very many parts to it; it must be about the simplest amp there is...
    I forgot - I had already changed the speaker. that took just as long, had to cut a new baffle and put the speaker cloth over it.
    The Champion 600 didn't work anyway, was blown-up and not worth bothering with. I'd say go for it if you don't mind destroying the Champion. Or else build a whole 5F1 Champ kit - I thought about doing that, but then I thought "well I've already got a cabinet, a speaker and transformers..."

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The transformers are the deciding factor for any project like this, I think. Saved yerself at least $100. Nice. :)

thinling likes this.
  6. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

E51974E6-C849-4A5C-8D79-5584C2DAA520.jpeg I bought an already converted 5f1 from a champion 600 off eBay for cheap. I threw it and an 8” Weber signature into a Gretsch g5222 cabinet that I had given a minwax tweed sealing to. The 600 chassis fits perfectly into the cab. Really fun, awesome sounding little amp to play!

OP I bet your amp kicks ass!

thinling likes this.
  7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

that's really cool. Great work. I love those early control panels.

dwh, yours looks great too. I have a 54 Champ but the 6 inch speaker isn't quite there, which is one reason I got into this madness.

thinling likes this.
  8. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

thinling,

Amazing work for a first amp build! Super clean and tidy. Feels good to make a broken amplifier work again. Now it is much more durable than before and if it ever needs anything, you can work on it yourself. Thank You for your business and posting your project here.

Mr Ridesglide and thinling like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.